• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

When is 64 bit Intel gonna be out?

Started by Thunderdog, June 20, 2004, 10:14 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderdog

Im looking for some major price droppin here. Ill go for a high end P4 system,as it will run my flight sims fairly good. Im thinkin it will take at least 4-6 mo's after they come out with the new stuff. So when is the release time for all the new goodies?
Power supplies, 64 bit intels, etc....? Next Year? ;D

query

New system boards and chipsets (along with a whole new socket design - 775 and chassis design - BTX) is due this summer.

64-bit from Intel will wait until sometime in 2005.

The current run of P4s is the last for Socket478 - as is typical with Intel, they've pushed the core design as far as they can, and are running into thermal problems with the faster units.

Thunderdog

What is a system board, is that the chip?

Mark H

Quote from: Thunderdog on June 20, 2004, 14:04 hrs
What is a system board, is that the chip?

system board = motherboard
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Whizbang

Intel has a serious promotional problem if they do not get the bugs out before the 64's hit the market, since AMD has the lead.  The fact that AMD tends to price much more favorably than Intel, presents another problem.  By the time Intel comes out, AMD will be in position to drop their prices a bit while Intel will have to try to keep their prices down.

There is what is called in Economics 101, a "snob" factor, meaning that if you price your product too low, some will be suspicious and be reluctant to buy it for fear of it's being cheap in quality.  Intel scores here by having always priced their products a third or more higher than AMD.  Ah, it will be fun to watch.   8)

trav

Quote from: Whizbang on June 20, 2004, 22:18 hrs
Ah, it will be fun to watch. 8)

Ummm...no it wont, two reasons.....

one, i lost the DVD (sorry!)
two, wheres the popcorn?

;)  :P
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Nestor

Intel has come out with 2 64 bit processors, the Itaniums. (called Itannics here, because they're notoriously unstable) As far as I know, they're strictly designed for servers. I had no idea that Intel was going to release a 64 bit for the end-user market; Intel has been quoted on several occaisions as refuting that idea.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Carskick

Quote from: ThatGuy1079 on June 21, 2004, 16:16 hrs
Intel has come out with 2 64 bit processors, the Itaniums. (called Itannics here, because they're notoriously unstable) As far as I know, they're strictly designed for servers. I had no idea that Intel was going to release a 64 bit for the end-user market; Intel has been quoted on several occaisions as refuting that idea.

What good is an unstable server. It seems you'd want the most stability in a server. I think Intel's in quite a pradicament now.

AMD released the original Athlon 64s and FX-51s almost a year ago, and they run fine, bug free, fairly cool, fast, and have become affordable. When Intel releases a 64 bit desktop processor, it won't be as big a deal because AMD has had great 64 bit processors out for so long already, and the line is continuing to upgrade, expand, and drop in price.

When Intel does release their 64 bit desktop CPU, it'll either have to be a lot faster, just as cheap, or something to really beat out AMD in the market they have created for themselves. I think many people, even average consumers are becoming use to terms like Athlon, and Athlon 64 esspecially. This is Intel's worse nightmare.

Intel is beginning to lose brand recognition as top of the line CPU manufacturer. They aren't even close to having the fastest or best CPUs, and there lower end models continue to get beat out by all th older Athlon XPs, which have dropped even more in price since the movement toward Athlon 64s.

If Intel is going to stay in the game, they really need to hurry. When 64 bit windows starts to gain popularity, Intel better have a half way descent 64 bit CPU on the market, or any consumer looking for a top of the line computer with the newest OS with go AMD.

Hey, Thunderdog, why dont you go for an Athlon XP system, as you could get an Athlon XP 3200+ for a price similar to a P4 2.4 right now. Athlon XPs are becoming extremely cheap because there is a better CPU now. Plus, they are better than P4s anyway, except for video encoding, but they're not terrible at it.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Thunderdog

Hey, Thunderdog, why dont you go for an Athlon XP system, as you could get an Athlon XP 3200+ for a price similar to a P4 2.4 right now. Athlon XPs are becoming extremely cheap because there is a better CPU now. Plus, they are better than P4s anyway, except for video encoding, but they're not terrible at it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Its always something to think about. Ill see what people in my "field" are doing, and what kind of frame rates they get. I know it would be a bit cheaper. Im just a Pentium kind of guy I guess.  ;D

iansl

I'm an Intel guy too, but my next PC will probably be an AMD, as they are now lightyears ahead of Intel's fastest offering, yet have a lower price point across the board. Sounds like a winner to me...
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

Carskick

iansl, my 2600+ could own your P4 2.6GHz in the face!  ;D

Naa I'm just kidding. They each have their strong points, but the Athlon64s are pulling away from the P4s, which are more comparable to the "legacy" CPUs from AMD, the Athlon XPs.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Whizbang

I do  not like to be sadistic; in fact, I get a bit embarrassed when I see someone really pull a dumb one.  But Intel really has an uphill battle on this one, and I am not sure how they will recover.  AMD went full bore on the 64 project and now has the command position, especially since the final product has no major known problems.  Now Intel must come up with something that is well nigh perfect out of the gate and not stumble.  AMD was able to get the 64s out without public criticism because there was no comparison.  Now Intel is like the buck private who slept too late and is now going to undergo intense scrutinity from the platoon sergeant who will suspect a few shortcuts in getting "dressed."  Dang, but that would make me sweat a lot.  If they pull this one off, I would give them an A+.

Roopert

I remember when I was a kid my family paid 50.00 bucks for an Apple printer cable that now, and then, was worth about 5.00 bucks. I also remember paying crazy prices for the i486 cpu's in the early 90's. I wouldn't buy an Appel computer or anything Itell for the same reason - They raked the consumer when they could and would do it again.

Just a rant I know but I look back and have to say D***!

AMD 64 3400+ 1G Corsair twinxPLL 2x80G statas in R-0 ATI9800XT 256 Samsung CDR CDWR CD DVD Chaintech ZNF-150 MoBo.

+-6% of P4EE and 51-FX at 1/2 the cost :)

query

The same thing happens today.  Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples etc. have the nerve to charge $40 for a simple 6 foot USB cable when you can order a 10 footer for $2.50 from newegg.com.

Competition is good - to a certain point.  Unfortunately in the PC world, one company is beginning to be so dominant that it can call most of the shots, and others have to struggle to survive, much less prosper.  AMD's competition to Intel has been good for the market - to be sure.  Both companies are profitable - which is vital, because of the level of R&D required to keep innovation going.