• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

How to use my card reader in my palm centro

Started by Martele, February 20, 2009, 14:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Martele

Please forgive me is this sounds really ignorant-- but I need help using a card reader for my sd card in my Palm Centro.  I would like to put some files from my computer on the sd card.  I was told to get a card reader.  I was given one to use, but with no explanation of how to fit the very tiny card in it.  There seems to be several slots available. 
I have figured out how to get the card  out of my phone.  yay me.  It was put in there by one of my offspring.
I feel like I am sooo close to doing this.  I have the card in the phone.  I know how to take it out.  I have music ripped to the hard drive.  I have the card reader.  When I plug it into the computer it lights up with two lights on either side of it.
The slots are labeled: CF I/II , SMC ,ms/mspro, sd/mmc.   The chip is Kingston 2 gb micro sd. I assume the sd chip goes in the slot marked sd. But the chip seems much too small.  Could I perhaps have the wrong card reader?
I'm stuck.

I need someone to hold my hand and in very basic terms tell me what to do--
The card reader is called an Utra Mini Card Reader USB 2.0.

Your kindness is very appreciated--

Peace,

LisaJo
Art is the right way to do anything.

pat

I'm not familiar with that particular card reader, but all the mini flash cards I've seen have some sort of adapter so you can put them in a regular SD card reader.

See this picture for reference.

Mini Card with adapter
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Martele

Hey, JA and Pat!  Thanks

It is solved!!!!

Yet, another offspring informed me (after I got their attention from whatever they were doing on Deviant Art ) that I needed an adapter for the card reader-- to handle the very small chip in my phone.
(aside:  I usually get their attention by threatening to wear my  "Brunhilda" hat in the front yard where their friends might see)
Then an additional offspring (there are 6) offered to find one that must be laying around.  I didn't even ask where it was found when this adapter was thrown at me from across the room (which I caught, before Zena the Doberman did).  I was able to fit it in the card reader and as I had learned to "rip" my cds onto my hard drive I just kept going.
(aside:  yes the chip in the phone is small and springy.  It popped out of my phone about 10 inches in the air when I first removed it.  Luckily Dobergirl was sleeping and it wasn't digested.)  I will be very careful about touching it--slot to slot is great advice..
So now I'm able to listen to music and audio books on my Palm, which is terrific!  I feel so 21st century-smug.

I know I have blue tooth in the phone-- but not sure about the computer.  We have a Geek in the family who has built them all-- and they are all in various states of mutation.  I know one of them must have blue tooth.  But parts of one and many have been added into and are remotely accessed through a bridgework of cords, hacked routers and wireless cards that I don't know what I'm working with. 
Our Geek is a full time college student who also works for Geek squad and does what he can for  us on the weekends.  But during the week I'm solo.  He is very generous with his time, but really works very hard with both his job and school.  That's why I have returned to this website.  I got terrific advice here a few years ago.
I've been gone for a few years, during which I worked 3 jobs (70 hours per week)  and just about died from exhaustion and had no time to even answer email.  Things have eased up for us - and I am recovering and have some time for dalliance with the computer world.  I do love these machines.  I love my phone--Now it's even more fun.

Peace,

LisaJo
Art is the right way to do anything.