• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Failure in installation of Windows 95

Started by EamonX1, July 26, 2004, 18:11 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

EamonX1

I am trying to install Windows 95 on a 486 computer. Half way through the installation I get a message as follows:
ERROR SU995038
'Invalid Command Option specified. Please check the command line and try again, or type setup /? for help on the setup command option (OX13ae)'

And of course the installation fails at this point.

Any ideas on the nature of the problem and how it may be solved.

Whizbang

The most common reason is a drive that is not fully formatted.  Have you formatted it yet?  If so, is there more than one partition on the drive.  Again, if there is, is it a FAT partition or one that Windows cannot decipher?

There is also the very real possibility that the hard drive is terminal and contains bad sectors.  If it is the original drive or an old replacement, you probably need to run the hard drive manufacturer's utility to check for bad sectors.  If you find some, the drive is not worth loading because failure is imminent.

EamonX1

Problem now solved. I attempted to reinstall the program and eventually on the third attempt it installed properly. Thanks for your your help on this one.

Whizbang

Quote from: EamonX1 on July 27, 2004, 12:37 hrs
Problem now solved. I attempted to reinstall the program and eventually on the third attempt it installed properly. Thanks for your your help on this one.
I still would run the disk utility.  It is not normal for the computer to balk at an installation.