• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Will my router firewall work in this situation?

Started by Noreng, July 11, 2008, 17:35 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreng

I have recently bought my Netgear router to Norway and I am accessing the internet via a local wireless ADSL distribution system. This works rather differently than my normal 'copper' ADSL in the UK. There is a plate on the side of the house pointing at the local mast. There has a normal RJ45 networking cable that goes directly from this into one of the 4 RJ45 ports on my router, i.e. not the RJ11 port from an ADSL splitter. The router does not connect to the Internet as normal, it just seems to be sitting on a WAN. It all works fine.

However what is the security situation here? I have a feeling that my router hardware firewall is being bypassed as the router does not seem to think that it is connected to the internet. I have a s/w firewall of course so should be OK, but I like belt and braces .....

Can anyone explain?

Thanks

Buffalo2102

As you assume, all ports that are in use are in the LAN ports and so are not firewalled by the router.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.