• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Free AVG

Started by Bill, October 20, 2005, 17:02 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I have been trying, unsuccessfully,  to do an update all day.
Message is: "File not found on server"

I have not been able to log on to WWW.free.grisoft.com, either.

Anyone else?

edit: 6:15pm  I just reached the site but it is a shell.  Looks like the server or site crashed.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

I just tried it and had no problem. The update installed fine, and the site is accessible to me.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

Far-fetched, but run SpyBot.  One of the bad things with malware is that it often is designed to wipe out antivirus URL access.  Regarding AVG free, I reinstalled the free version when my pro was due for a renewal last week.  As I have said before, I purchased the license because AVG had found several viruses before I installed a firewall and decided that I owed that to them.  Several weeks ago, I received a notice of an upgrade and downloaded it.  Only while uninstalling the pro version did I realize that Grisoft had upgraded the Pro to a full suite with firewall.  I still find that a bit odd because there was no fanfare or notice of installation of the total package.  There were also no settings to tweak.  I don't know if that was an improvement or just a weak excuse for a firewall.  Also, it did not conflict with Zone Alarm.   ???

Bill

I have not been able to update using the AVG interface.  I could access the free.grisoft site with IE but not Firefox.  

I have uninstalled AVG 7.01 and upgraded to 7.03 and still could not update.  I finally got on the site using FF and downloaded the update .bin file and manually updated.  Not sure what is going on but for now it's OK.
I'll give it a day or so and see if its their server.
I have done A/V scans and my system is clean.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Whizbang

Mine has updated every day with no problems until this evening.  Now it is giving me the same message that you receive.

Bill

Yes, it appears so.  I just visited with FF and all seemed normal.  When this began yesterday, my first reaction was that I had picked up  a virus that was blocking AVG.  Now it seems like it was their problem....

edit: Friday am:  Free AVG forum acknowledges their automatic update servers have had a problem.  However, the update .bin files are maintained on separate servers and they are recommending manual updates.

Thanks, all.

Bill

Whizbang

Quote from: Bill on October 21, 2005, 08:04 hrs
Yes, it appears so.  I just visited with FF and all seemed normal.  When this began yesterday, my first reaction was that I had picked up  a virus that was blocking AVG.  Now it seems like it was their problem....

edit: Friday am:  Free AVG forum acknowledges their automatic update servers have had a problem.  However, the update .bin files are maintained on separate servers and they are recommending manual updates.
I am dumb on this one.  How is the manual update installed, since it is done without activating AVG?  Do you set AVG to update the file after restart?  And where is the manually downloaded file supposed to be stored, in the open AVG folder?  I may not win the stupid race here, but in a two man race for the title, I probably would come in next to last.   ???

Bill

Whiz,
Once you have downloaded the update .bin file to a temp. folder:

1. Verify and update your computer's time and date, AVG uses this info to determine if you have the correct files.

2. Open the Control Center,

3. Double Click on the Update Manager or select it then press the Properties button at the bottom of the screen.

4. On the Properties screen unselect the option labeled "Do not ask for the update source", click Apply and Ok.

5. Now click the Update button on the bottom of the screen.

6. In the pop-up window, click the Folder button.

7. Navigate to the folder where you had downloaded the update files into and click Ok. (Sometimes this needs done twice for AVG to see the file.)

8. AVG will update now with the file you had selected unless it contains the same as you already had.

These are from the AVG Forum.  I had to reboot the system afterward, but it worked.
Bill

y

Whizbang

Appreciated.  At least auto update is working again.