• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Uninstalling Antispyware Risk?

Started by Ace, January 18, 2009, 11:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

Wondering: had to eradicate Vundo (Virtumonde) trojan on a pc, which can be a trick... Been there before.  Tried the Symantec patch for it, but didn't recognize it as being there.  The PC has McAfee antivirus/antispyware (as the network tool) and found it to be incapable of dealing with this; did recognize it but just gets hung up unable to either clean or delete the thing (and cannot have it quarantine it...).  So, installed SUPERAntiSpyware (although regrettably, with a name like that...) as it's known to be able to take it on, and it did. Was able to remove the contagion.

Here's the question; not seeing any obvious quarantine folder in that product's install pool....  Would like to not have it installed, any longer.  If one uninstalls the product, does that "bring back" (release?) the disease?  I naturally don't want to remove SUPERdooperantispyware and then wind up at square one with this idiot thing pop-upping my IE all over creation (including the delightful "Antivirus 2009" triple decker bogus invitation).  Leave it on, or ok to now unistall safely?

Danke - Ace
Ring bells for service.

pat

My considered opinion is, try it and see what happens.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Yeah, that's the guy JD.  It's a'ight.  Works pretty clean and quickly, and did yank out a bunch of crud.  Plus, the problematic Vundo salmonella.  I'll probably keep it on my own machine, for awhile.  I don't have any need for it at home, but here it's not an issue.

I had a weird deal in doing an AdAware definitions update that went badly; pretty much disabled the product as it kept referring to a "don't you want to send a report...?" message but couldn't work after that point.  Killed it and installed the newest one, which is ok.

Ace; My brother in law fell for the "Antivirus 2009" scam; the maroon.
Ring bells for service.