• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Suggestions for wireless keyboard and mouse.

Started by Llhweiir, March 05, 2009, 06:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Llhweiir

The keyboard that came with my computer has finally begun showing its age - as is the mouse. The cursor move erratically, and many times one touch on the keyboard results in 4-5 letters.

I have looked around for a new wireless keyboard/mouse, but it is a jungle out there. I have found that the two largest manufacturers are Logitech and Microsoft. Which one of these do you prefer? Which models do you use, and are you please with its performance? Do you have any recommendeation to give?

My budget? About  110 $US. Cheaper would be nice, but if the extra bucks gives me a much better keyboard I am prepared to open the wallet.

The ones I have looked a bit closer at are these:

Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 3000 - 54 $
Logitech LX710 Desktop Cordless Laser - 53 $
Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000 - 105 $

Buffalo2102

Personally, I have found the Microsoft products good reliable products - but that is about it.  Logitech kit seems much better to me.  They seem to put far more focus on functionality and ergonomics than Microsoft.  My logitech mouse and keyboard (wired) are comfortable, very well built, look good and have worked under heavy use flawlessly for years.  The Logitech kit typically comes with a 5-year warranty.

If you can afford it, I would recommend the MX 5500 Revolution desktop set.  For a lower price, the MX 3200 Laser has also got good reviews.  Out of your choices, I would definitely go with the LX710.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Chandler

Does it have to be a wireless keyboard?  Personally I would go for a wireless mouse, just for the fact that with a mouse the cord always seems to get caught on something, but for the keyboard that's not an issue.

The reason I ask is because there are a lot of very good wired keyboards not made by Microsoft or Logitech such as the Cherry G80-3000 (blue Cherry MX switches - clicky) and Unicomp Customizer (IBM buckling spring - clicky).  I've tried so many mushy rubber dome keyboards and will never go back to them after using a mechanical switch.

If you don't like clicky keyboards, there are non-clicky mechanical switches such as those in the Steelseries 7G (black Cherry MX switches - non-tactile, non-clicky) and ABS M1 (black Alps switches - tactile, non-clicky).  All of those keyboards look mundane, they don't have multimedia buttons or glowing backlights, but they are amazing to type on.

I'm typing this on a Cherry G80-3000 and genuinely enjoy typing, along with the absolute racket that it's making (CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK), whereas typing on a mushy rubber dome is a chore.  I tolerated rubber domes for years until I realised that there were better keyboards out there.

As for mice, I've not had much luck with Microsoft.

Mark H

I echo what Chandler said. I have a wireless Microsoft laser Mouse 8000 and a wired keyboard. I do not see the benefit of wireless keyboards unless you are using it for a PC connected to your big screen television.

Mark H; I love my rechargeable mouse.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Mark H

Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Llhweiir

Quote from: Chandler on March 05, 2009, 11:16 hrs
Does it have to be a wireless keyboard?  Personally I would go for a wireless mouse, just for the fact that with a mouse the cord always seems to get caught on something, but for the keyboard that's not an issue.

The reason I ask is because there are a lot of very good wired keyboards not made by Microsoft or Logitech such as the Cherry G80-3000 (blue Cherry MX switches - clicky) and Unicomp Customizer (IBM buckling spring - clicky).  I've tried so many mushy rubber dome keyboards and will never go back to them after using a mechanical switch.

If you don't like clicky keyboards, there are non-clicky mechanical switches such as those in the Steelseries 7G (black Cherry MX switches - non-tactile, non-clicky) and ABS M1 (black Alps switches - tactile, non-clicky).  All of those keyboards look mundane, they don't have multimedia buttons or glowing backlights, but they are amazing to type on.

I'm typing this on a Cherry G80-3000 and genuinely enjoy typing, along with the absolute racket that it's making (CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK), whereas typing on a mushy rubber dome is a chore.  I tolerated rubber domes for years until I realised that there were better keyboards out there.

As for mice, I've not had much luck with Microsoft.

Yes, it has to be a wireless keyboard - simply because I have gotten used to having no wires on my desk. I will check out you suggestions though...

pat

I'm using the Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo and before that I had the very similar one from Logitech. I've always found their products to be fairly priced and reliable.

My desk doesn't have one of those keyboard drawers, so my keyboard has always been one top of the desk. I just can't imagine going back to wired.   
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Llhweiir

Today I finally invested in a new keyboard-mouse set: Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000

Can't wait to try it out!