• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"POASTER'S HAMMER : IT LIVES!!!

Started by Roopert, January 29, 2004, 19:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Roopert

Just ordered and have decided to name the new machine "POASTER'S HAMMER". You Guys have been GREAT!!!

You all have been very objective and helpful - to say the least

If you guys want we can tweek the system once I get the default setting up and going. It would be an honor.

Here's to to 4 sleepless nites and a Fedex tracker request every hour LMAO.

Thank You All,

Chris
AMD 64 3400+ 1G Corsair twinxPLL 2x80G statas in R-0 ATI9800XT 256 Samsung CDR CDWR CD DVD Chaintech ZNF-150 MoBo.

+-6% of P4EE and 51-FX at 1/2 the cost :)

Mark H

Quote from: Roopert on January 29, 2004, 19:22 hrs
Just ordered and have decided to name the new machine "POSTER'S HAMMER". You Guys have been GREAT!!!

I think "Poaster's Hammer" is more appropriate. ;)

We do thank you for naming your PC after us. ;D

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

trav

Hey, my life wouldnt be complete without Poasters :-* ;) :D
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Roopert

I'm going to take some pictures as well but the computer is ALL GO no SHOW.

I will take some pictures as I tap the case for venting and as I switch power supplies.

Hehe - this thing is going to be fast as hell.
AMD 64 3400+ 1G Corsair twinxPLL 2x80G statas in R-0 ATI9800XT 256 Samsung CDR CDWR CD DVD Chaintech ZNF-150 MoBo.

trav

Quote from: Roopert on January 29, 2004, 19:34 hrs
I'm going to take some pictures as well but the computer is ALL GO no SHOW.

I will take some pictures as I tap the case for venting and as I switch power supplies.

Hehe - this thing is going to be fast as hell.
Yippee! i cant wait to see pictures!
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Roopert

Nice computer Travis - thank you for the link!

I hope mine looks that smart when I'm done.

Chris

scuzzy

Wow. "Poasters Hammer". I like that. Great name. :)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Roopert

Hi all. The parts have shipped and are on their way :)

My wife thinks I am insane for asking to have the next weekend free of honeydoos and devote 100% to putting the computer together. I can not wait!

There may be one small problem. The power supply from Antec may not be the right one for my mobo.

Antec 550W Power Supply, Model "TRUE550 EPS12V" -RETAIL    

- Specifications -

Type: EPS12V/ATX12V
Maximum Power: 550W
PFC: No
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold-up Time: 17ms min.
Efficiency: 68% min.
Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.5V;+3.3V trip point<+4.1V;+12V trip point<+14.4V
Overload Protection: Latching Protection+5V @<47A;+3.3V @ <48A;+12V @ <18A
Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230VAC
Input Frequency Range: 47Hz-63Hz
Input Current: 10A/6A
Output: +3.3V@32A;+5V@40A;-5V@0.5A;+12V@36A;-12V@1A;+5VSB@2A
MTBF: 80,000 hrs. @ 25?C
Approvals: UL, TUV, CB, VDE, FCC CLASS B, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO, FIMCO

FROM ANTEC'S web page:

What is EPS12V? EPS12V is a special, non-ATX standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide a more powerful and stable environment for critical server-based systems and applications. EPS12V equipment is not compatible with standard ATX or ATX12V PCs found in homes and offices. Power supplies built to the EPS12V standard include a 24-pin motherboard power connector and an 8-pin +12V connector. However, since some server motherboards also use other connectors, TruePower 550EPS12V comes with 4-pin and 8-pin +12V and 6-pin Aux. power connectors for wide SSI / EPS12V motherboard compatibility and user versatility.

The Chaintech Mobo has a 4 pin 12V power connector:

Internal I/O Connectors Four 3x1 pin fan connectors
2x1 pin fan connector with housing for Chaintech RadEX
Two 5x2 pin USB connectors for front 2 USB ports & 6 in 1 Card Reader on CBOX3
3x1 pin wake on LAN connector with housing
3x1 pin wake on Modem connector with housing
Two 4x1 pin CD-in connectors with housing on CMC7.1
4x1 pin Aux-in connector with housing on CMC7.1
5x2 pin Segment display connector for 2-digits Debug LED on CBOX3
8x1 pin IEEE1394 connector with housing for front IEEE1394 port on CBOX3
9x2 pin front panel connector
5x2 pin front side audio connector
20 pin ATX Power connector
4 pin ATX 12V Power connector

Hope I didn't geek this up lemme know what u think.

Chris

query

Yes, that is not the correct power supply for a desktop board.  You'll need a standard ATX12V power supply with a 20-pin ATX connector and a 4-pin ATX12V connector to supply the CPU.

Roopert

Had to cancel the order and reorder. I hate when they charge your credit card before shipping the items. Now I have to wait for them to recharge my credit card.

My fault but dang.

Roopert

The parts came in Friday and I have been working like a dog to get this dang thing together. Had some unexpected things happen but over all the build was GREAT. My digital camera is at MY MOTHER INLAW'S!!! Sorry, could not wait till the next time we make the 3 hour treck for build pictures, but I will post some of the final build once we get it back.

Like I noted, I had to tap (that was a BI*** to cut) the case. I decided to tap the side cover and place a 80mm fan that blows on the CPU heat sink (has its own fan) setup and the chip set - it hits the video card as well. I had to make a new frame for the second hard drive because the origanal frame placed them 1cm apart and it blocked the power plug on the moBo from the power supply with 2 drives in the frame - I hated that about the MoBo. The second frame I built hangs about 5cm from the original frame and the HDs are 10cm apart. I started the drilling and hammering at 1:00 am - my wife took it in stride LMAO.

I could not get over how small the AMD 64 3400+ was. Mind you, the last CPU I installed was a PII 450 - i think it may be smaller than an i486DX CPU (my first computer mod way back in 1992).

I am using my old VeiwSonic PS790 19inch monitor and I have to say it was the best computer related purchase I have EVER made. 6 years after I bought it the monitor handles a ATI 9800XT without an issue (have played Call of Duty - Morrowind - Knights' of The Old republic with nothing but full settings and a slack jaw).

I had to buy a new speaker set because my old creative labs suround sound setup was made for the Blaster Live sound card. You should have seen my wife's face as I walked out the door after saying I needed a new speaker system. I bought a 2 speaker setup with a woofer from labtec (Pulse375). I have been pushing the hell out of it and like it quite a bit. The onboard sound card is incredible! I have played CDs DVDs and the most current games without a problem. "Without a problem" does not give justice to the sound - its incredible.

The Hurcules 9800XT came with a program that allows overclocking. It was a major pain in the arss. It would over clock the video cpu and ram when ever it was accessed (just wanted to see what it was after intalling it) - even after the default tab was pushed - I un-installed it after finally finding out why my video card was over heating. Complete crap  but no damage.

The MoBo came with a nifty thing called a CBOX that has some front ports and a digital display for a number user selected temps. It is very nice but the software called Digidoc that allows your system to use it is a little buggy. The display for the Digidoc is wacked - numbers are placed in the wrong places - they don't sit where the background of the program has the spaces for them. About 4cm low and to the right. But it does give accurate readings and sends them to the digital display. The CPU runs at 40c with low load and stays at 49c with the most intensive program I have (Morrowind). The fans are controlled buy the MoBo and speed up/slow down when needed - pretty neat.

The Corsair memory is simply CRAZY - it is running at the advertised timing and at a very low temp.

The final build was:

AMD 64 3400+
Hurcules 9800XT 256mb
Antec True 480w Power Supply
Chaintech ZNF3-150 MoBo
1GB Corsair Twinx 3200 LLPT
2 Hitachi 80GIG 8mb buffer Sata HDs in Raid 0
Samsung CDRW/DVD 8mb buffer
VeiwSonic PS790 Monitor
Labtec Pulse 375 Speakers and Woofer
3 80cm case fans
WindowsXP SP1

FUTURE GEAR:
DVD Burner    

Going to get some bench marking programs after posting.

Mark H

Congrats on a successful build. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Roopert

Running for four days and no issues. Supper fast in all areas. The raid 0 is pretty cool - faster than my old ultra scssi buy my eye so far.

The 9800XT is... I can't describe it really. Way beyond what I expected, and yes I was using an old PII system, but this is insane. All of my games play at max settings without a hickup or lock - Call of Duty (crazy game), Knights of the Old Republic, and Morrowind. I have seen all of the above on a 9600pro and no contest - quality and speed are light years ahead. Ok, that may be obvious from price and release numbers, but its still enough to make me say "dang!!!".

The 2 Hitachi satas in raid 0 are runnning quiet and cool. I think I saved myself some cash here. When I can benchmark them I will.

The Corsair ram is running at it's advertised settings with NO issue. That's what I wanted because of the low latency. Very nice.

The Samsung CD is fast but sounds like a taxying aircraft from the boarding gate when it reads.

The AMD 64 3400+ is at the heart of the computer and am VERY satisfied with it and the overall system performance. Runs cool at 2.2Mhz as well. I have no idea how the P4 2.5Mgz and beyond deal with heat issues.

Thanks all and will take some pictures when I can.

Tranquility_Base

Roopert

T-Base. Don't be jealous! I have been runing a pII 450 for 6 years LOL. This one will, I hope, get me at least 2 years.

I benchmarked the system using aquamark3. Not sure if its "good" but I scored a 47600 on it. I'm running stock, no overclocking, and the version I have was limited to what settings I could chose. I was set at 1024 x 768 32 bit. I have my 3D settings set from windows at :
AA 4x
AF 16x
Not sure if it carries over to the programs being ran but when I set it to the highest setting it removes "application preference".

Going to run it again.

No pictures yet but will be soon.

Chris

PS

I bought PC-cillin and have to say it is good and update costs are NICE.

Tranquility_Base

I try to keep AA as high as possible without lagging the game becoz nothing irks me more than those jagged edges of objects, and i can handle it with my 9700 Pro, but not always. Usually its 6x, but sometimes in really intensive games its 4x, which is good enough.