• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

10 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows Vista

Started by jameslarry, February 08, 2008, 05:52 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

jameslarry

Hi Friends I have came along with some of the post�s and found it quite interesting so posting them for you all may you all find it helpful too..

Windows Vista is a rather heavy operating system with many neat features, but unfortunately they all come at a price. Right out of the box it requires a pretty hefty system to run (arguably). Before you run out and buy a new computer just so you can run your base operating system, check out these 10 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows Vista tips to lighten the load. This is just the first in the series, so many of them may be very apparent to those experienced in tweaking. If you�re still using Windows XP, then check out 10 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows XP.

1. Turn off UAC, or at least make it less annoying

2. Disable Aero

3. ReadyBoost

4. Tweak Indexing Service

5. While you are at it, fix the rest of your search options

6. Get rid of the sidebar

7. Defender has a use?

8. Tweak your services

9. How to find out the next area for improvement ââ?¬â?? Tweak your programs

10. Not really a tweak but�

Ok, #10 isnââ?¬â?¢t really a speed tweak, but itââ?¬â?¢s something Iââ?¬â?¢ve always found annoying on many operating systems. Many of us have 2 LCDs, and oh wouldnââ?¬â?¢t it be nice to be able to set different backgrounds for both?  The Complete story is at its source 10 Simple Ways To Speedup Windows Vista

For More on the Topic visit... Windows Operating System Bloghttp://windowsoperatingsystem.blogsome.com

Looking for positive reasponse!!!
Thanks in advance

Buffalo2102

Whilst I won't argue against the fact that most of your suggestions will indeed speed up Vista, I would ask one thing - what's the point?  Once you have switched off UAC, and aero, and tweaked the hell out of it, you have basically made any upgrade to Vista pointless.  Rather than go through all that effort, you might as well stick with Windows XP, IMO.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Carskick

In my opinion, vista runs faster overall on an average new computer than XP. The new prefetch really makes everyday programs load much more quickly, though initial bootup is slower. UAC is annoying, and I disabled it as well.

As far as aero, it only slows down your computer if you don't have a descent video card, and for such systems, home basic is often recommended anyways. On my new laptop, I basically have let everything that runs in vista continue to do so. Sure it has 70-80 processes running, but everything I do on it happens quite fast and smoothly. Of course, a good dual core CPU, a good amount of RAM, and a nice video card are what make vista run seemlessly.

The best speed up for vista especially for laptops is a fast hard drive. The 7200 RPM laptop hard drive in my Vostro is a god send. As much as vista likes to cache, and as large as the OS is, the 30% or so boost going from 5400RPM to 7200RPM is completely worth the cost.

My advice: If you are using a system with 1GB or less, slower than a single core 2Ghz CPU, a slower hard drive, and a non recent/dedicated video, don't get vista. It will be much slower than XP. Vista really takes advantage of a powerhouse, though. Is it perfect? No. But the features, new UI, and the new prefech make it worth it for me, on new systems. I have no desire to upgrade my existing XP machine, even if they meet my requirements.

Just my 2 cents.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Chandler

Quote from: jameslarry on February 08, 2008, 05:52 hrs1. Turn off UAC, or at least make it less annoying
Turning off UAC can cause issues such as when trying to install Adobe Reader.  I disable the "secure desktop" mode though because I find the delay that it causes is annoying.

Quote from: jameslarry on February 08, 2008, 05:52 hrs2. Disable Aero
In my experience, Aero is faster than the classic mode.

Quote from: jameslarry on February 08, 2008, 05:52 hrs8. Tweak your services
There are so many problems caused by guides which recommend disabling services, and in reality there is no measurable benefit.  Perhaps you'll save 5MB memory by disabling some services - wow!