• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Internet Explorer 8

Started by Mark H, March 21, 2009, 09:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark H

I downloaded and installed IE 8 on my Windows XP machine and it was sluggish compared to IE 7 on the same machine. I ended up removing it and going back to IE 7. I haven't tried IE 8 on my more powerful Vista machines, but don't really expect different results.

Anyone else finding the same results with IE 8 compared to IE 7?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

scuzzy

I tried the beta version some time back, but with mixed results. Uninstalling it didn't work as well as it should have.

I'll give IE8 a spin on my my signature system after I image it using Acronis True Image 2009.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Buffalo2102

I've been using it on my Windows 7 build and haven't noticed any sluggishness.  Haven't tried it on any other OS though.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Mark H

I just installed IE 8 on our laptop that runs Vista 32. It is snappy and works very well. As a result, I am thinking that maybe it isn't very good for XP 32, but is great for Vista at least in my experience.

Mark H

pat

I went with the 64 bit version on my sig system. Although it's a little early to say for sure, I just installed it the other day, my first impression is positive. Seems fast and when I imported my bookmarks it picked up all the favicons as well. I don't remember that being the case with IE 7 or the beta of 8.

One thing I notice that is somewhat annoying is that I have to click on the folder that contains bookmarks or favorites in that folder to open it. With Firefox when I go down the list of folders that contain my bookmarks the folder just opens and displays the bookmarks contained in that folder.

Edit; I'll have to take that favorites thing back, if you use the menu bar, then the favorite folders open as you roll through the folders. It's just with the favorites listed on the favorites bar that doesn't.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Mark H

With the positive performance on Vista 32, I am going to install the 64 bit version on my Vista 64 machine. I may think about giving it another shot on the XP 32 machine, but it will be a while.

Mark H

I found the problem. I had previously used spybot and adaware and immunized my system with them. They put 10,000 or more entries into the restricted sites list. I found out that IE8 can not handle this large amount of restricted sites quite yet. After removing them, I find IE8 runs just fine on my XP machine.

Mark H