• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Outlook 2007 - Data File Check in Progress

Started by Chandler, April 03, 2009, 08:12 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

I keep getting a message "Data File Check in Progress" when opening Outlook 2007. I've already run ScanPST on my outlook.pst file once today and it found "minor inconsistencies" and then fixed them. This made the message go away but yet 4 hours later Outlook is again checking the data file. Not only am I concerned as to why the hell it seemingly corrupts the PST file over and over again but it also slows the computer down to a crawl whilst doing the check.

What on Earth is going on? My PST is only around 500MB, so well short of the 2GB recommended maximum, and it's a brand new PST file that I created when I installed Vista + Office a few days ago.

Bill

There is always Thunderbird, which has been trouble free, at least for me, for years.
Because Outlook is integrated with the rest of MS stuff, it tends to be overly complex, IMO. 
While I was still working, the office Outlook was always a bit unstable on a small server with 10 or less users.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Chandler

I just can't figure this out. My other PC works fine but this one, 100% of the time when I reboot Windows Vista, I'll receive a message saying that the Outlook data file wasn't closed correctly.  The thing is that Outlook was definitely closed correctly and nothing else should be accessing the data file! I don't even have any add-ins enabled within Outlook.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that Outlook just sits there scanning the file but doesn't give any information as to whether it has lost any data or what it's done. I have no faith in Outlook and I probably will start using Thunderbird from now on.

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Chandler

I just found about a pre-SP2 hotfix for Outlook 2007 KB957909 that supposedly fixes this problem. I've installed it, and so far so good, but it's too soon to tell really. I'll poast back in a week if it's still okay, or sooner if it's not.

Chandler

Still no re-occurance of PST problems. Roll on Office 2007 SP2; it's crazy that you have to request this hotfix from Microsoft when Outlook 2007 has been broken since it was released at the end of 2006!

Chandler

PST archives still fine, but Outlook 2007 is crap.

Today, I had an urgent need to locate an e-mail. I figured that since it had "finished" indexing everything it would be no trouble to search using Instant Search. LOL! It found sod all. Switch to the "Advanced Find" and that would find it either. As a test I searched for an e-mail that I could see with my own eyes, right at the top of the folder and yet again it couldn't find it.

I rebuilt the index, and it began to find certain e-mails, but it still didn't find everything irrespective of whether I tried to search by the sender's name, subject or body.

I've now turned off the Instant Search feature because it is so broken. I'm getting more and more sick of Outlook 2007 by the day but unfortunately it's not always possible to switch to something like Thunderbird.

Then again, the more I use Vista, the more I'm finding things that are seriously getting on my nerves. Why of why haven't Microsoft STILL fixed the issue of forgetting folder view settings. It's not really much to ask after 9 years of this crap.

Chandler

Service Pack 2 has fixed so many things. Outlook 2007 has been working great.

When Outlook is closed, after installing the update, there is a delay before the notification icon disappears (it turns grey first). I presume the delay is intentional to ensure that the data files are correctly closed beforehand. I have not had a single instance of corruption since (touch wood).

Indexing is working too.