• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

new hardware found

Started by Bill, October 03, 2008, 17:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

this morning after upgrading Firefox yesterday, desktop icons for web mail and poasters were producing a warning box 'there was a problem sending the command' but the sites would load immediately aferward.  Thinking something amiss I tried to reboot.  It wouldn't; we'd get to Windows loading and then the only monitor that seemed to be working would go to black.

Thinking the worst, like the new video card is fried or worse, I moved the box to the top of the desk and reconnected the 2 monitors, mouse, keyboard and rj45 cable,  removed the side panel to be certain the fans were running and fired it up. It booted and windows loaded.  But now there are 2 new hardware found boxes, one for the PCI Bridge device and the second for the SM controller.  Both asking for install disks.  Canceling both, we proceed to the desk top and all seems well.

However I have now booted 3 times and the new hardware announcements appear each time.
I haven't a clue as to what these 2 devices are or what to do about them, or the notices.

Ideas would be appreciated. 

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Yo Bill,
I installed and ran "Unknowndeviceidentifier.exe" when I lost the USB port and had things disappear... might be usefull.
A:Ce
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Thanks Ace r.  These seem to be part of the nForce3 chipset drivers for my 4 year old Gigabyte MB.  I have d/l updated driver package and am going to try an install shortly.  Keeping one's fingers crossed.

Bill

update: installing the chipset driver eliminated the new hardward found box and the SM controller and PCI bridge no longer show with an exclamation mark in the device manager. 
Now however I have a new nVidia ethernet connection showing on the task bar as being unplugged.  the Marvel gigabyte connection is enabled and working.  Disabling the nVidia connection caused a complete windows shutdown and a reboot was necessary to restore.  going to try disabling again. 
Failing there, is there a way to remove the taskbar warning without disrupting the system?

EDIT: I located an option in Administrative Controls to hide this non-working icon.

All's well, it seems.

Bill

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit