• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Can't find a simple video editor.

Started by Traveller, March 22, 2009, 03:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

I am having trouble finding a simple video editor and was hoping that someone may be able to suggest something suitable.

I do not need a fancy program. I only want the following.

1) I want to be able to cut a piece of video out of a longer video and save the smaller piece.

2) If I can cut pieces out of a video and keep the longer video, then that would be wonderful. (However, would there be gaps where the pieces were cut out or would it just play back to back?)

3) I'm not too fussy about the format of the output file as long as MPG, WMV, AVI and FLV can be input.

4) Must be freeware.

5) Must be compatible with W98SE.

Thanks.

pat

I recently did a search for a similar program, didn't have much luck and ended up just using Nero to do what I needed.

However, you may want to take a look at, virtualdub

Another one, but not free and I'm not sure if 98 is supported is, videoredo. I liked this program and may go back for another look in the future.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Thanks JA/Pat.

Hi Ai.

I think I had tried VirtualDub a long time ago but it didn't work. However, I tried it again and this time it worked! However (there is always a 'however', isn't there? Haha) someone advised that I 'give the MPEG, WMV and FLV plugins a try'? I couldn't find any info in the documentation/website about 'plugins'. I'm assuming that is why I received the following errors.

When trying to open an FLV file: The file "x.flv" is an of an unknown or unsupported file type.

When trying to open a WMV file: ASF files are not supported.

When trying to open an AVI file: Couldn't locate decompressor for format "DX50" (unknown)
Virtual Dub required a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable

For some AVI files I get the same message as above but the error is that it couldn't locate decompressor for format "DIVX" (DivX 4+)

It did work with MPEG video files, but the final video (and video's audio) is too jerky and choppy, (in both GOM and MPC).

I'm assuming that there is a simple way of doing the plugin thing, however, what about the jerky video?

Thanks for any help.

pat

Try this search, it leads to many sites that host pulgins and filters for virtualdub. Some of which claim to help smooth out jerky video.
Google
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Traveller

Thanks Pat.

I had seen a list of filters, like the following, however, I didn't think they had anything to do with the WMV, FLV, AVI problem.

As for the jerky video, unless it says "Jerky Video Filter", I won't have a clue which one I would need. There is one which mentions 'smoothing' (Smart Smoother Filter).

*  Box Blur Filter (Original by Avery Lee)
    * Brightness/Contrast (UI Enhanced) Filter
    * Colorize Filter
    * Decimate Filter
    * Deflicker Filter
    * Histogram Equalization Filter
    * Hotspot Filter
    * Hue/Saturation/Intensity Filter
    * Logo Filter
    * MSharpen Filter (Andreas Ludwig co-author)
    * Pan Filter
    * Pseudocolor Filter
    * Red/Green/Blue Adjustment Filter
    * Reverse Field Dominance Filter
    * Smart Bob Filter
    * Smart Deinterlacer Filter
    * Smart Resize Filter
    * Smart Smoother Filter
    * Telecide Filter
    * Tint Filter
    * Unsharp Mask Filter
    * Windowed Histogram Equalization Filter