• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Another similar AMD topic but ..different

Started by Andrew S, April 01, 2004, 20:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew S

I have a question.  With AMD constantly making better and faster processers like AMD Athlon XP then the 64 bit one,  How do all of the motherboard makers make their boards work with that processor? Does AMD tell them enough information to do that or what?

query

Yes. Like Intel, AMD releases specifications for upcoming processors to mainboard makers, under non-disclosure agreements.

Intel has gone so far as to become a major chipset and was formerly a major mainboard manufacturer -- until the later 486s and early Pentiums, Intel wasn't in this market - they began making chipsets and boards themselves.  They've kept making chipsets, though they've pretty much ended mainboard manufacturing (like most of the big PC companies, Intel contracts out the manufacture of boards to the likes of ASUS, Foxconn/Hon Hai, Mitac, etc. now).

AMD has produced chipsets as well - the original Athlon chipsets (AMD 750/Irongate) came from AMD, though it relies on VIA, ATI, nVidia and SiS now.

LIke Intel, AMD releases reference board designs to third parties, which come up with their own designs.  It happens in other areas of hardware as well - such as video cards.

Andrew S

Thats what i was thinking, but not sure, Thanks for clearing that up as quick as you did

Nestor

What about this one?

Intel D865GBFL 800FSB/4DDR

My job- we sell these boards- the box sez intel. Of course, this could be built via 3rd party as well, right?

BTW, what do you think about MachSpeed offering a lifetime warranty on their motherboards?
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Andrew S

Too be honest, I dont think i've actually remember seeing MachSPeed boards? Have they been out a while? I couldnt tell you anything about them