• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Lian Li G70B case - stock or modified cooling recommended?

Started by Mark H, January 22, 2007, 19:24 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark H

I am looking to get the Lian Li PC-G70B case for my next photography machine build. I am planning on putting a couple of Western Digital Raptors in it for the main drive and photoshop scratch drive. I will also have a couple of storage drives internally and a SATA swap rack in the front for removeable backups. It will have an Intel Core 2 duo CPU, an ATI 1950 pro for video (or something close) and 4 GB of RAM.

I am wondering if you think the case has adequate cooling in the stock condition (rear and front intakes, side exhaust) or should I do the following:

• Make side fan an intake
  • Leave rear fan as an intake
  • Leave the front as an intake
  • Install two or three low speed 120 mm fans in the top for exhaust

The case will have an additional hard drive cage in the front with a 120 mm fan and the SATA rack has a 40 mm fan (won't be on unless a drive is in it).

Any ideas other than stock or my idea above?

As an additional note, I found the case for $30 less than Newegg at Performance-PCs where I have done business before. You can also get other views of the case at their site.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

freelance

if your gonna do that fan config it may be nessecary to turn the psu fans round too. otherwise there will be a low pressure area right where the fan is trying to suck air through the psu and cooling will be compremised.
ok so the following is my pc:
asus M2N4-SLI, athlon X2 5000+ cpu, geforce 7600GT , 80gb MAXTOR SATAII hdd, 4gb ddr2 ram, silverstone edumon (google it and u'll find it!!!) sata dvd rw dual layer, 6x usb 2, and tv card (with video recorder ps2 etc)

Mark H

Quote from: freelance on January 24, 2007, 13:32 hrs
if your gonna do that fan config it may be nessecary to turn the psu fans round too. otherwise there will be a low pressure area right where the fan is trying to suck air through the psu and cooling will be compremised.

Actually, I was going to put the PSU in the bottom of the case if I do that.  ;D Now that I found the Lian Li PC-A10B, I might get it instead.

Mark H

Whizbang

I simplified my son's 939 to 120mm fans, fore and aft, along with the standard CPU heatsink combo and power supply fan.  Temperatures seem very good with quiet computer to boot (no pun intended, but not bad on the fly).   8)

Mark H

I decided to leave the rear and front fans as intakes, which is stock on this case. I am then reversing the side fan to be an intake (it is exhaust in stock form). They are all 120 mm fans. I am then installing three quiet 120 mm fans in a top window I am putting in the case.

That is three fans in and three fans out. The PSU will be in the bottom of the case since the case can take 2 PSUs (one in top and one in bottom). This is due to the low pressure, which will be in the top of the case.

You will be able to see the pictures of the case and internals in my other topic once I get it together and get pictures taken. The other thread is here.

Mark H