• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

16:9 Projection TV's...Any Advice?

Started by Karen, March 23, 2003, 13:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Hi Poasters, long time no see!  Actually I've been studying for 4 part national insurance exam.  Part I taken and passed...3 more to go!

Anyway, the time has come to upgrade from my 27" RCA TV.  I'm specifically looking at widescreen HD ready (seprate tuner) sets.  The contenders have been narrowed down to a Sony and a JVC.  Local retailers sell both sets for approximately the same price give or take $100.  

My question is does anyone have any experience or comments about either of these sets, or Sony and JVC in general?  The good and the bad...all comments are appreciated.  

1) Sony -
Sony  KP-46WT500 46-inch 16:9 Hi-Scan? Projection Television

2) JVC - http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026922&page=2

Wow, those are some URLs.  If they don't work, maybe someone could edit them for me.  

Picture and overall quality is more important than sound.  The chosen set will be hooked up to my Sony receiver and Bose Acoustimass speakers.

Thanks!
Karen  

I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

scuzzy

The March 2003 edition of Consumer Reports covered several series of large screen televisions. Although those two particular models were not mentioned, plenty others were. However, Sony consistently placed at, or near the top of the ratings. JVC took more of the middle ratings.

It's not likely that the issue is still on store shelves, so you'll probably need to visit your local library.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Karen

Thanks, Neon, for fixing for the links.  One day maybe I'll figure out how to do it for myself.  Until then, it's nice to know there are more than competant poasters who can help me out!

Thanks for the info Scuzzy.  I've gotten my hands on the Consumer Reports you mentioned.  It appears the Sony and JVC Consumer Reports rated are the "big brothers" (bigger screen size) to the ones I'm looking at, but the features seem nearly identical.  I'm sure the ratings would be similar as well.  Thanks so much for the info!

Karen  
I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

trav

CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR