• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

btdna

Started by shinjots, February 17, 2008, 22:36 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

shinjots

I use windows vista. After installing Bit Torrent I now have a program file called btdna. When I right click and try to delete it, it won't let me. It says you need permission to perform this action, even though I am signed in as the administrator. After googleing btdna I'm sure it is malware. How do I get rid of this file. By the way why does Vista ask for confirmation on just about every task I perform.

Buffalo2102

btdna is apparently not spyware but an add-on to Bittorrent.  See here for details http://www.bittorrent.com/dna/.

As for deleting it, I don't know much about it but if you still want to get rid of it you may need to start up in SafeMode first, or stop the process.  There may even be instructions somewhere in that link above.  I assume that there is no separate entry in Add/Remove programs so that you can uninstall it?  You could also try uninstalling Bittorrent altogether and then find another client that doesn't have this sort of "extra" in it.  I recommend uTorrent highly.

Vista has a thing called UAC - User Account Control - that tries to makes sure that you don't do anything that you shouldn't.  It will prompt you to confirm just about every action, even if you are the administrator.  To be honest, you get used to it and it doesn't bother me any more.  If it really bothers you, you can disable it, but I don't recommend it.  Google for instructions.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Mark H

This site does not support the use of bit torrents. Bit torrents are almost always associated with downloading illegal downloads of movies, music or software. As a result, I am locking this thread.

You might try the following to get rid of it:

Open "task manager". Processes tab.
Highlight, click "end now".
Delete the file.

OR

Go to START, RUN, and type in OPEN
"C:\Program Files\DNA\btdna.exe" /UNINSTALL
Click OK

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

Actually this is a tough one, although BitTorent or just Torrent  clients often are used for illegal sharing of files, they can and are used for legal sharing of files as well, Linux distros are the first to come to mind. With that in mind and since nothing illegal has been asked, only help, I'm unlocking this topic, if anything illegal gets asked we can always lock it back up.

As to the User Account Control, I turned it off for my system. I just found it to annoying. I do understand the risks and feel comfortable not having it on for myself. I have left it on for the few systems I've helped others install Vista on and leave it to them to make that decision.

To access the settings for UAC go to User Accounts and adjust. 
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64