• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

New 64 bit Cooler Master Biostar AMD 4200 X2

Started by Whizbang, June 01, 2007, 21:03 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

When I verified that the replaced Mushkin memory was AOK, I decided to test the whole system with the newest Vector Live Linux CD.  That allowed me to bypass the Windows drivers and Nvidia stuff because the Live CD has it all.  I popped it in and came here first.  It is super silent with a 120cm case exhaust fan along with the stock CPU heatsink fan.  The Ultra X-Connect modular power supply is virtually dead silent.  The case comes with an adjustable cone that directs air from the outside of the case to the CPU.  That means I will not be doing any redneck engineering to do the same thing.  I like this arrangement better because the cone will simply retract if too much is extended.  The case lines are much cleaner and look downright right-wing conservative with a liberal amount of vertically brushed cast aluminum in the front door which can quickly be reversed from right hand to left hand with a pull on a levered spring, the one flimsy looking part of the case, however well it may work.  I did not get the peek-a-boo window on the side.  That would have just required that I keep it looking clean.  This way I can always store my dirty socks in the case just to offset the new smell, and no one will know, well maybe.  I don't have much in the case yet; I always go overboard anyway.  One DVD/CD burner and two mobile racks are about it.  I may even do something heretical and not even put a floppy drive in the case.  When I get some pics up, I will poast them here.  I probably will simply put my XP Pro on it and use the blue case for Linux.  I have not formated my XP drive in so long, I may be able to activate it without having to call Microsoft.

The only problem I have noticed so far is that two of the fans are slightly out of sync on speed and cause the resulting harmonic to be a wow-wow-wow that could be annoying.  Maybe the dirty socks can fix that.

Whizbang

I still need to paint the new Samsung DVD burner before taking the photo of the drive layout.

Now this is what I call the perfect stereo.  The other keyboard and monitor to computer on the left are on a desk at the left.  That is where my wife sits and cries because she is now going to have to start liking Jeff Gordon, since Junior is teaming up with Hendrick.

Desktop image is a portal off the street in Natchitoches, Louisiana ( pronounced "Nack i tish").  Why can't the French just speak English?

scuzzy

It looks very nice, but I like the system on the right better. I've never cared for doors covering the drives.

Maybe you can get rid of the "wow-wow-wow" by slowing one of the fans a little.

Scuzzy; I thought Ace was the only one who stored dirty socks in his computer.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

Well there are three good things about the door.
1)  It can swing to the left,
2) be detached and re-hung on the right side within 30 seconds to swing to the right, or be
3) taken off.   ;D

scuzzy

I like option 3.

Regardless, it does look nice.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Whizbang

Due to overwhelming requests, I have dutifully removed the front temporarily for the public eye.

The silver "soapsuds" on the front are the effect that Krylon Fusion crinkle finish gives.  I could not find simple smooth silver and had to use this one.  I think it gives a Gothic look.  This way,the aging process has already begun and will not be noticed.   ::)  Oh, I opted for the floppy, but I decided not to update the BIOS with it anyway.  If it "ain't" broke,...

scuzzy

Ooooooooooooo, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Scuzzy; E-I-E-I-O

Hoot

Oh no  ;). This is one case where you should have stuck with what you liked and not what Scuzzy liked. IMO it was far better/classier looking with the case door on. Now it looks like a project gone wrong.

Whizbang

Door is still on.  Without the door it looks a bit like a medieval castle door complete with a prisoner neck stock.   :P