• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

ATA-100

Started by mun, January 25, 2004, 22:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

mun

Hi all,

I'm still on my ongoing battle with my hard disk problem..

Well.. its not about my hard disk but about buying a new one..

I am interested in buying a new HDD.. heres the stats:

Brand: Western Digital ATA-100
Capacity: 80GB
Disk Spindle Speed: 7200RPM
Cache: 8MB

I was pondering whether or not the ATA-100 has much difference between the ATA-133..

someone please help me clarify this..

slaxorz

Hard drives right now cannot even attain t he ata standards not even ata66.  So there would be no problem for you.

Tranquility_Base

Theres no difference between ATA 100 and ATA 133 at the moment.
I'd stay away from WD for parallel ATA. Either Seagater Barracuda or Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 is more cable in this area.

Neon

Quote from: Tranquility_Base on January 26, 2004, 12:36 hrs
Theres no difference between ATA 100 and ATA 133 at the moment.
I'd stay away from WD for parallel ATA. Either Seagater Barracuda or Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 is more cable in this area.
I'll easily agree with the first sentence. Why do you stay away from WD? I would consider the current WD drives to be fairly good. Storage Review has rated the Caviar JB drives as the highest for several years. What do you mean that the Seagate and Maxtor drives are more cable?
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

mun

ahh??.. but i bought a WD hdd now.. is it bad? ... lol.. some confusion here..

Chandler

No, you made a good choice.  The WD JB series with 8MB cache are excellent drives.

Very quiet too, especially compared to my Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 - I own a WD JB series and Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, the WD is ATA100, the Maxtor is ATA133 but the WD thrashes the Maxtor in speed and quietness.

mun

hooray!!...

I now have:

1. WD Caviar? 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache
2. Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB  7200RPM 2 MB Cache

I haven't really compared the noise levels.

And... I'm yet to discover the speed differences (once I install an OS on the WD) and the Maxtor let me down! (clicks and fails)

Note: i'm stuck on how to install an OS.. I tried booting up the computer with the win xp cd but no luck!

pat

You may have to go into BIOS setup and make sure your CD drive is set to first boot device.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

mun

Hi all,

I got two hard disks:

WD WD800JB
Maxtor 6Y080L0

for some unknown reason when I use them individually they both click at some unexpected point and crash...
both were bought from different places and at different points in time.. I think other hardware installed are affecting this clicking and crashing..

please offer any solutions how I can stop this from happening..

thanks

Mark H

What other hardware is in your PC? Motherboard, RAM, Video card, ect...? What operating system are you using?

When you describe clicking and crashing, is it windows crashing (software) or is it the computer (hardware)?

It is unlikely, but possible that both drives are failing. Have you checked them with the manufacturer's utilities?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

mun

CPU: Intel P4 2.53 GHz
Mobo: Asus P4S533-E
VIdeo card: ATI Radeon 9100 (prob has ATI chip but not manufatured by ATI)
RAM: not sure i think its poor quality stick of 512MB

I haven't done checks on the hard disks.

using win xp pro on maxtor
using win 2000 on WD

mun

Hello all, I used my maxtor again and then inserted a install disk for a printer, however once I continued on with the installation the computer automatically restarted and during Starup.. it told me that the primary hard disk fails..

- there is nothing wrong with the cd, I've installed it on another computer.

my computer details are else where in this part of the forum..

this new hard disk (WD) tells me that there is a problem with svchost.exe and another time it gives me an error message

"System Error &H800706BA (-2147023174). The RPC server is unavailable."

I am EXTREMELY fustrated with my hard DISK'S (NB. Both of my hard diskS).. soon enough, computers as a whole!

i normally see computers as an entertainment hub.. but when these problems arise.. i just want to throw my E.H. away!!

someone please help me with the hard disks

mun

i tried that pat, but no luck, the solution was to get an OS boot disk which was on the win 2000 cd.. but there were bad signs during the installation of win 2000 becos while it was formatting it was 75 or so percent done and then it clicked and crashed..

the maxtor (older hdd) does the same with the clicking and crashing.

query

Update your antivirus and scan the system.  Also make sure you're up to date on Windows patches.

mun

it gives me that very long system error when I insert the cd while using the WD.

Also for some annoying reason I cannot copy and paste text wherever I please.

mun

I must say, One of the most worse birthday days ever!!

Can I add to the list: I cannot drag drop files from one place to another.

query

See three messages up.  I suspect you've got a virus or worm active on your system.

mun

how would I remove the worms?
I don't have a Antivirus installed on this hdd

mun

don't worry about the virus thingo.. i found a antivirus. fortunately..

mun

problems now arise.. i can't install the antivirus

pat

Try a scan with the free on-line scanner found at the bottom of the left hand column over there.
<-------
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Chandler

Has just the Maxtor failed or have both the Western Digital and Maxtor failed?  If the latter, then I would check your power supply, my friends power supply was dodgy and fried his hard drives and a CD-RW drive when it finally died.

I'd recommend doing a scan with the PowerMax utility from Maxtor to check for any bad sectors - these can cause software to get "stuck" at that point.

Note: I've merged the ATA-100 topic and this one to make it easier for us to keep track of the problem

Mark H

You might also check you power supply. For two hard drives to start acting up from different brands, it points to another problem. Either a virus as Query suggested or maybe a power supply problem.

Mark H

Tranquility_Base

I just dont think WD is dominant in the PATA market, SATA is different, but with PATA i've heard of a lot of problems with them, like data corruption when in DMA mode, etc.

Chandler

Quote from: Tranquility_Base on February 11, 2004, 11:49 hrs
I just dont think WD is dominant in the PATA market, SATA is different, but with PATA i've heard of a lot of problems with them, like data corruption when in DMA mode, etc.

But the problems have occured with two hard drives.  It is probably due to either a bad power supply, or physical shock to the system.  I've never heard of any problems with Western Digital hard drives - IBM, yes.  Western Digital make very good hard drives.

Mark H

Quote from: Tranquility_Base on February 11, 2004, 11:49 hrs

This statement is not valid. I run a WD PATA drive and it runs great. Phyically, the SATA and PATA drives are pretty much the same, it is only the interface that is different.

Mark H

mun

ok.. I would agree with the bad power supply..

the brand is an obscure one: Master Electronic Corporation (MEC) 400W
and I have poor quality RAM, not sure of brand..

I will highly consider buying new components to see if it prevents the system hangs.