• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Microsoft vs. Apple

Started by scuzzy, January 31, 2007, 22:50 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

And Apple won, as far as I'm concerned.

I spent a lot of agonizing time fighting with Windows XP on my Laptop over a program that refuses to completely uninstall. I tried everything I could possibly think of, including scouring the net for magic fixes to remove all traces of Quicken 2005 so that I could reinstall it. No luck; all the uninstalling and registry cleaners that I tried did nothing more than waste my time. And what caused the problem to begin with? A bad Windows NIC driver that booted me off of the network right in the middle of saving a Quicken file. Somehow, my system got completely hosed in the process.

When I think back over the years, I cannot begin to comprehend just how much of my life I've wasted fighting with Windows, and I'm absolutely sick of it. I know Buff says that the grass isn't always greener... but then again.

My brother bought a Mac laptop some years back. It's still his primary workhorse and he's only had one problem with it. Unfortunately, he accidentally dropped a hard object on top of the keyboard; breaking one of the keys. Although the key still works, it occassionally gets stuck. Otherwise, the computer has given him no problems. It simply works, and it works consistently.

Today, I crossed paths with a buddy who was a hardcore Windows user until another friend turned him on to Mac. I played around with his laptop for awhile, and I must admit that I was very impressed. He tells me that his only regret is that he waited so long to dump his PC in favor of Apple. Again, his computer simply works, and it works consistently.

I know that I'm just rambling here, and that a lot of this is simply frustration on my part. However, I will no longer purchase anything that has the word "Microsoft" anywhere in the title. I will be replacing my Toshiba laptop with an Apple MacBook just as soon as I can afford it. Currently, I'm considering the MacBook 13" widescreen. Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have $1500 sitting around gathering dust to buy one configured the way I want. Regardless, I will in time buy one after the Leopard OS is released.

Think what you want, but one-by-one all of my computers will eventually be completely free of all things Microsoft. I will never upgrade to any of Vista's four stupid versions. What the heck is that all about anyway? It was bad enough that Windows XP came in two flavors. Then again, there was Windows 98 and it's disabled Me twin.

Scuzzy; Enough is enough. Microsoft can shove Vista right up its RAM slot.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

frenchie47

I too would love to change to Apple. trouble is however that over the years I've accumulated a lot of software designed for Windows.
Who knows, one day my lotto will come up!

halokid

The only reason, and i mean the "ONLY REASON" for me sticking with windows(well atleast windows xp for now) is for the 3d game support.
So you Folks 40 and over who dont play games Id say start a mass exodous to Apple and Linux.. then  us youngins will follow suit.
;D
I really think there needs to be a new stadard for 3d acceleration software..Need to Can Direct X in favor of something that  is opensource so each Operating system can tweak it to its optimal settings. I dont think Open Gl is capable for such a tas.. i dont know maybe? I hate it ..and i mean hate it when support for pc  hardware is divided down the line because of a popular closed source app

scuzzy

I'm not into video games of any sort, so that's not an issue. My laptop is primarily used for MS Office and the Internet, both of which are easily handled by Mac.

JA, this might help you understand where I'm coming from. I see bailing on Microsoft the same as bailing on an undependable car. Think of it as constantly having to work on your car to keep it going, but your neighbor is one of those 10% who has a car that needs very little maintenance. Both cars will get you both to the same places. But your neighbor's car is powerful, much more efficient, much more dependable, and much less likely to get a flat on the way to work. On top of that, it's considerably more secure than your car, which is constantly targeted by thieves and miscreants. And if your neighbor should happen to have a problem, he'll have among the best support in the world to quickly get it resolved. In short, you constantly have to fight with your car to keep it running, but your neighbor's car simply works.

Yes, a Mac is certainly different than a PC. However, it is not so radically different that even an old toast like myself can't figure it out. What little I messed with was easily figured out. I'm sure Apple isn't perfect, but as best I can tell it's far better than anything Microsoft has to offer. As far as MS Office is concerned, I will switch over to OpenOffice. It's downloading right now.

Honestly, I hope that Microsoft does well over the years, and I hope that their product continues to improve. But it's going to be without my help. The only reason that I would hope for MS to do well is for competition. I'm a capatalist who believes that this will help keep Apple on its toes.

Another thing to consider is that I'm not jumping ship all at once. I will start out by replacing my laptop when I'm able to afford it, which may not be for another year. Even then, I'll still have 3 PCs in the house, each running Windows XP. But as they need to be replaced, I'll be considering all the options available at that time. Trust me that Microsoft will not be in the front running.

I also don't belittle anyone who wants to stay with Microsoft. But remember that Vista is not free, and you'll remain mired in the Microsoft mud. Even in your case, JA, it required the purchase of a new computer. Still, your arguments did not fall on deaf ears, and I do hope that Vista is the big improvement that Microsoft claims it is.

It's not like if I'm moving into some strange, unchartered territory. Many others have led the way, paved the highway and even put up street signs for the rest of us.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

scuzzy

I really don't think that it's vision and fortitude on my part. I think it's much more accurate to say that I quit. I simply got to the point where I can't take it anymore.

scuzzy

Quote from: JA on February 01, 2007, 13:15 hrs
I know how you feel. My Acer crashed once today and once yesterday.
It uses a Microsoft product, so what do I expect?

That, my friend, is exactly what I mean. We are so drugged by Microsoft, that we expect it not to work and yet we continue to use it as if we have no other choice. Will anyone be surprised when Microsoft comes out with Vista SP2 to fix the untold miriad of problems that will plague users across the globe?

It really is no different than constantly purchasing a worthless car, and cursing the manufacturer every day. Meanwhile, your neighbor is in that 10% group that rarely has problems.

As for the rest of your questions, I'm not the one with the answers at the moment. I plan on hitting Barnes and Noble later tonight to find a Mac for Dummies book.

scuzzy

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. It's not likely something that I would use, but it is certainly an option for anyone who might need to have both operating systems on the same machine.

Edit: As I recall, there are two versions of this. One, Bootcamp, allows you to choose which OS you want to use at bootup. The other option, Parallels, allows you to run MS Windows within the Mac OS, either in a window or in full screen mode.

Buffalo2102

I'm beginning to sound like a Microsoft fan here but I'm not - honest.  I just don't like to see anybody blamed unfairly.  Anyway, here is my take on things.

1. Both of you (SCuzzy and JA) sound like you have been having driver problems - the vast majority of drivers are written by the hardware manufacturers - not Microsoft.  I have a Belkin USB network adapter and the drivers are shocking but I blame Belkin for that - not Microsoft.  (I have found a workaround - to use Ralink drivers (Ralink make the chipset on the device)).

2. One of the main reasons that Apple have a better reliability reputation than Microsoft is because they also manufacture/specify the hardware that the OS runs on.  This means that they only have a limited number of hardware configurations to support.  The upside is a more easily maintainable and more stable OS and applications.  The downside is that the consumer gets less choice and has to pay more for the privelidge.  That is why you are looking to pay $1500 for a 13" Macbook.  Plus the cost of service packs going forward.  A lot of people would rather pay less for a laptop with an equal or better spec. and put up with the occasional Windows issues.
Windows allows anyone to run it on (almost) whatever they happen to have or want to "cobble" together.  That's good but it comes at a price - usually stability.

3. The security of the MAC is also touted as being better.  I believe that this is largely due to the fact that so few people actually use it.  Much like Linux, if more people used it the hackers and crackers would pay it more attention.  That doesn't necessarily make a Windows PC a worse product than a MAC but it does make it more vulnerable.

Having said the above, I have not used a MAC for any length of time and so bow to those who say that the OS is better than Windows, although any such statements are largely down to personal opinion.  Plus, Vista seems to be closing that gap now, from what I have read.

Although I appear to defend MS here, I certainly wouldn't argue against your decision.  As has already been shown here, MAC may well be more suited to your purposes anyway, but that won't be true for everybody.  If you value stability and security more than cost and versatility, availability of software etc. then the MAC is probably a good choice.

You are right that I said that "the grass isn't always greener...." but that was largely based on your other post where your main argument to switch was financial.  I still say the same thing with regard to your other points but would stress the use of the words "isn't always" - sometimes it is!

Buff;  I am Windows Defender...not.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

scuzzy

Buffalo,

I understand all of your arguments very well. I have been keenly aware of all your points for as long as I can remember.

I also know that the primary reason a Mac is more secure than Windows is because the latter is under constant attack. Not many hackers are interested in going after Mac, which a big plus for Mac users.

I am more than willing to spend extra on a 13" MacBook if it will give me some of my life back. Some 4 yrs ago, I paid nearly $1900 for my current Toshiba Laptop. In those 4 yrs, I've wasted an enormous amount of energy troubleshooting, reinstalling, protecting (etc.) this darn thing. Looking at a MacBook, it appears that it will easily do everything that I need it to do, which is surfing the net, finances, and office files.

Crud. I gotta run off. More later.

EDIT: Okay here's more...

Window's biggest strength is also its weakest. While it's true that you can do more with a Windows computer, and with many more options, it comes at a cost; lack of stability. Although the Apple platform might be limiting for some, none of that is an issue to me. For the reasons you noted, Apple is more reliable. And though it comes at a financial cost, it's one that I'm willing to deal with. I have not heard about having to pay for service packs, but so be it. I'd much rather have the stability and security.

I imagine that ultimately whichever platform is better will largely depend on the user. Who knows, maybe Vista really will close the gap between Apple and PCs. I'll just have to wait and see, along with everyone else. My plan is to purchase a MacBook within the next year, and I've already started saving for it.

Hey, I just might yet keep MS around on my main system to make penance for all my past sins.  :)

Buffalo2102

As I said, the MAC is probably a good choice for you.  I wish you luck with it.

Personally, if I bought a PC that I didn't have to "tinker" with now and again I would get bored with it.  ;D

Buff; tinker.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Mark H

I have not had a crash on my home PC since I installed Windows XP SP2. Maybe other people run more things on their PCs than me.  ::)

I thought about getting a MAC instead of building the machine I have on order since I am using it for a Photoshop CS2 machine, but I ultimately wanted to build something.  ;D

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

pat

Actually I like to use both operating systems. My main desktop system is XP, but we do have the older Apple laptop kicking around and I do mean older, it�s one of those orange clamshells from about 1999. If you ever saw Legally Blonde with Reese Witherspoon, you may have saw one.

Although it had OS 9 on it when I fist got it I put a copy of OS-X on it and it runs fine. I can go months without having to reboot, just close the lid and it goes to sleep and fires right up when I open it. We take it with us when we go out of town or down to the wireless caf�©.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

pat

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Thanks, but since I subscribe to Scot's Newsletter I had already read the article. Just the same, I found these two PC World articles interesting:

Windows Vista: 15 Reasons to Switch

Wait! Don't Buy Windows Vista

After carefully reading both, I think the latter made the better argument. Read them both and decide for yourself.

pat

Yep, the second article makes a lot of sense. I�m still very disappointed that ATI/AMD hasn�t released drivers to fully support the All-in-Wonder cards yet, if ever, since they are discontinued. I don�t think I would be in a hurry to run out a buy a copy of Vista, but if the gratis copy does indeed show up in the mailbox, I�ll go ahead and install it, most likely in a dual boot configuration.

Ace

Well, this was an amusing if not completely understandable review, per my perspective.

Let me first point out that Scuzzy is a quitter; he is.  He said so himself. I'm not a quitter.  In fact, I'm not even a starter to be a get-goinger to even come near to quitting.  So I think we have to take his opinion under consideration, as one whom quits.

Secondly, Microsoft is American.  All American. Great big Northwest Territory Big Bucks silicon valley or or mountain whatever American.  Apple is the label the Beatles had, so it must be British.  So there you go.  So being anti-MS is like being unAmerican.  Or a quitter.

Also, I have all these updates, so I'm sure not going to waste them by switching to some simple yet effective OS.  I am proud to have XP and someday some slick video friendly Vista open up for me.  The colors are pretty, my photos look ok, and Oblivion plays alright so that's what's important to me.  Plus I have drivers, and I don't want to lose them.

as far as owning a car you have to fix or repair or learn to hate, I drive a Ford.  It's ok.  It runs, so I guess it's kinda like an apple.  Well, if there were blue apples.  I really don't have to fix it very often.  And it's ok on gas.  Unless it's idleing for 10 minutes or so, in subzero conditions.  Then, I guess it isn't that great.  Or if I do that and forget about it... that's like letting my computer run all day.  Which I do, a lot.  At least it's warmed up once I come back to it.  Usually to shut it down, for the night, after warming all day.

I would hate for everyone to suddenly dump their Microsoft stuff, and convert to Apples.  Leaving me in that 20% orphaned group.  It'd be like people who stop buying Fords.  Meaning GM will probably try to purchase Chrysler.  Or an alternative fuel Toyota showing up in NASCAR.

But my biggest fear is Scuzzy will now contact me with one of those "Hey, Jester; wanna buy some old MS junk I'm trying to unload..?" And try to loop me into buying some outdated stuff at exhorbitant prices, that he let get all dusty and decrepit.  He's tried that before.  Well, and it worked.  Not this time, though.  I hope.

Ok, otherwise I'm pretty well out of ideas on operating systems, except I think they're ok and would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have $1,500.  I mean, I don't have $1,500 to spend on one either, but it's ok, as I wasn't going to buy one.

Ace; I like Linus ok.

Ring bells for service.

Carskick

I hope Mac serves you well scuzzy!

While I personally prefer the Windows OS, and I need it for games, I can see why some people prefer MACs. My cousin's family has had macs for years, and I remember going over there much younger and using their macs. I used some OS7 versions, some OS8 version, and OSX over the years. In fact, they didn't go PC until 2001. My cousin ended up preferring PC, dispute exposure to Mac OS all his life, though his dad is still big on mac.

I've had Windows do some stupid things, but then I've had macs do stupid things too in the time I've worked with the. They each have their quirks, neither is perfect, and so I say choose on preference.

Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick