• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Mozilla Firebird (Win32 0.7)

Started by Neon, December 08, 2003, 15:49 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

I'm usually reluctant to stray from Microsoft's provided components when it comes to Windows XP.  I used Windows Media Player 9 for example rather than WinAMP.

Up until now I have been fond of Internet Explorer but it seems that with every hot-fix they patch onto it, it gets slower and less responsive.  My IE6 SP1 is painfully slow with all the updates.  For example, search on Google and before the results are displayed, you get a pause for a few seconds (so much so Windows decides it's Not Reponding)

So I decided to give Mozilla Firebird a try.  There's no installer, just unzip it to a folder of your choice and run.  Simple and painless.

In operation it is noticeably faster than Internet Explorer 6 and there are really neat features such as clicking on a link with the mouse scroll wheel opens the link on a new "tab".  Oh yes, it uses tabbed browsing rather than the taskbar cluttering mess of Internet Explorer.  Starting up a new Mozilla window is instant, unlike IE which can take up to 10 seconds.

Memory usage is roughly the same as Internet Explorer, the main Poasters Forum page takes it to 19MB compared to IE6 17MB.

Add to this an integrated Google Toolbar and popup stopper and you've got a very nice, lean (6MB) and free package.

Other great features include the fact it automatically imports your IE Favourites list.  You can even assign Keywords to your Bookmarks, so for example typing "poasters" launches up the Poasters Forum - Main Page and type "vortex" brings up Vortex of Sound Forum (with my settings).

Highly recommended.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

Note:  I tested the Windows version but there are versions available for Linux (RedHat, Debian, Mandrake etc) and MacOSX.

DISCUSS HERE