• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

ffdshow MPEG-4 Decoder

Started by Chandler, May 12, 2003, 12:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Chandler

ffdshow is a DirectShow filter (i.e. Video Decoder for Windows Media Player) that can decode all types of MPEG-4 video, which means DivX, XviD and the MS MPEG-4 formats.  I believe that MPEG-I and MPEG-II support is also being worked on, but it is currently not working.

I thought that I would give it a go, and I must say that I was very impressed.  It decodes all formats just as efficiently as their native decoder, but adds a lot of cool features.

Here are just a few of the special features:
- Gamma Adjustment (very useful for laptops and LCD screens)
- White Level & Black Level Adjustment (rather than simple contrast/brightness)
- Real-Time deinterlacing and field swapping (good for graphics card incapable of this)
- Lots and lots of post-processing filters to get rid of blocks and rings
- Noise reduction
- Real-Time blur and sharpen
- Resize and custom aspect ratios
- Perspective correction (useful for fixing those... um... camera filmed videos)

Probably the most useful for me is the gamma correction and the ability to define what video playback mode it uses (YV12, YVYU etc.), since the SiS 630 in my laptop doesn't perform interpolation on the chroma part of video unless it's using a particular format, something which DivX and XviD mess up.

All in all, I highly recommend trying this out.  If you've got a powerful computer you can improve video playback quality by a long way if you use this.  If your computer is slightly slower, then you can still improve it by a fair bit.

It can be downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/