• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Youtube doesn't work

Started by LugwidVanB, July 23, 2009, 09:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

When it comes up on Mozilla I get this message:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

I click install (even though it has already been installed), it goes through the process. I have to bring up youtube again and it shows the same message. Endless loop.

When I bring it up in IE, I get nothing but a blank screen when I click on a video. No play button, nothing.

I notice on device driver that the Video controller has a yellow question mark beside. I click on it and it says the driver is not installed. I click to install the driver and nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

pat

Yep, sounds like you haven't installed your video drivers after the new install.

What type of video card do you have, will either be a separate card or integrated on the motherboard. I'm guessing this is why you also had some problems with your network not working. After you do a fresh install of windows you will need to install the drivers for the various hardware components. 

If you can give us information about your system hardware we can direct you to the correct drivers to download and install.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

LugwidVanB

The mb is an ASUS A8N-SLI. It appears the SLI (Scalable Link Interface) refers to the graphics card. From the manual, it appears that a graphics card came with the mb but is separately installed in a PCI slot. The manual further says it can accommodate two identical cards. The guy I bought the computer from (he is unavailable at the moment) listed a Nvidia Geforce 6800 XT video card as installed.

Tom

scuzzy

It looks like you have a separate graphics card.

You can download the latest drivers at NVIDIA.

EDIT: Just look for the GeForce 6 Series for Windows XP.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

LugwidVanB

I found it and dl it. An exe file. Can't access it in any method, whether by add new hardware or via device manager. I can find it in explorer but when I browse to that file nothing is listed.

pat

What browser are you using?

I use firefox and I have it set to ask me where to save files. I then name a folder and save the file to that location.

When I update or install a new driver I then browse to that location and run the file. In fact I've already visited the nvidia site a couple of times today to get an updated driver(s). You don't need to use the new hardware utility or device manager, just save the file and run it from the location you saved it to.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

It's a self-executing file. Go back to the folder where you downloaded the file, then double-click it. It will install like any regular program.

If you try to run it through New Hardware or Device Manager, it won't work.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

LugwidVanB

This is just unbelievable. I tried 'run'. I located the file and clicked run. First, a box comes up that says: "Open File Security Warning. Publisher can't be verified. Publisher unknown. Are you sure you want to run this?" I click 'Run' and another box comes up that says: "Nvidia Installation Error: 7-Zip data error".

This happens for 'run' and for double clicking the file.

scuzzy

It sounds as if the file did not properly download. Go back to NVIDIA and download it again.

I can't think of any other reason why you would have a problem running that file after a clean installation of Windows. It should work without a problem.

LugwidVanB

I deleted the file then dl it again using the search function which identifed the driver according to the product I entered (G6 series). Same exact result.

I tried having nvidia identify the card and driver by using the scan function. It stayed on Loading mode forever.

Mark H

That card is old enought that I would have though XP would have found a driver for it during installation. Right click the "My Computer" icon and select "poperties."  Select the "Hardware" tab and then select "Device Manager." From here, you can see what hardware does not have drivers installed.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

LugwidVanB

Under Other Devices, Video Controller. That is the only one with a big yellow question mark.

Mark H

A couple of items on Nvidia's download page for the driver are as follows:

- "Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

- Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Have you tried downloading and installing the video driver while disabling and download accelerators and disabling virus protection?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

LugwidVanB

Thanks Mark. Solved one problem, got another. In an effort to get the ethernet card working (see previous thread), I had inserted another card I had in my old computer into a pci slot. It was fairly new and sent by att when I signed on to their dsl service. When that problem was resolved I went back to the onboard ethernet card but left the other card in the computer. I noticed that in device manager it was in the same grouping as the vga card. Both had yellow question marks. I didn't mention this above because I wasn't using it. So I opened the computer, removed the ethernet card, seated the video card and blew out dust from the fan. I turned the computer on and it said 'new hardware detected'. I went into add hardware and xp installed the video driver. It also installed a driver for the samsung monitor which I couldn't install either.

So the driver for the vga card is now installed. This all started because I couldn't run videos on youtube. I still get the exact same result as before. With firefox I get a message that says 'you either have java turned off or you need to install the latest flash player' which I've done a half dozen times. I don't know how to find out if java is on or off so if you can enlighten me on that I would appreciate it.

On IE, I had ver. 6 and dl ver 8. I now cannot connect to the net via IE. I tried uninstalling and dl and reinstalling it and that has no effect. I get a page that says can't connect. I'm trying to go back to ver 6 but have little hope that will work. The problems never end.

Tom

LugwidVanB

I looked up java on the net and found the dl. It installed and videos on youtube now run, at least some of them. Some of them stop half way through and stall without ever starting up again. The round circle in the center of the video twirls around, I guess in loading mode, but it stays there.

IE 8 is not working. I completely uninstalled it, dl from ms site and get the same result. It won't connect but it appears I don't need it at the moment. Mozilla is working fine. Thanks.

Tom

Bill

Tom,

You might want to try this:

"Please read:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us
"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
The computer will revert to Internet Explorer 7 and previously installed Internet Explorer 7 security updates.
When you remove Internet Explorer 8, your earlier version of Internet Explorer is restored with your customizations (such as add-ins, Favorites, and your home page)."

This came from an MS reference site named 'social answers/MS

IE 8 has a history of being 'buggy' and unstable.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

LugwidVanB

Thanks for the info Bill. Unfortunately, after I uninstalled 8 I saw it still in Programs. I tried to delete there also and it wouldn't so I went into safe mode and deleted it there. I guess if I ever need it I will try to find  6 again if that is possible.

Is there any reason to ever want ie if firefox is doing its job?

Tom

Incidentally, there is a very interesting story in the NYT about the history of mozilla as it relates to ie, and the arrival of chrome. This is a quote from the story: 

"In the years after Netscape�s demise, Microsoft essentially stopped improving Internet Explorer, and the browser quickly became vulnerable to security threats, an explosion of pop-up ads and other annoyances."

Bill

I have found that there are some web sites that Firefox simply will not open, at all.  And there are some where IE works better.  I keep IE 6 for that reason.

You can probably install another copy of IE from the XP cd, although I haven't tried it.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

I have IE7 installed, and refused to "upgrade" to IE8. However, I very rarely open IE7 directly, preferring to use Firefox (3.5.1) for 100% of my browsing needs.

However, I too on occasion need IE for rendering a page properly. For that, I use a Firefox extension called "IE Tab". IE Tab opens an instance of IE onto a tab in Firefox. Basically, although the tab is in Firefox, it is actually IE opening the site.

I have been using IE Tab for about 2 yrs with excellent results. It is very easy to use and I highly recommend it. But only use it on those pesky sites that absolutely require IE.

LugwidVanB

It looks like ie is history. I found a ms site that says you can dl 6. Tried it and says no way bec a later version of ie is detected. I uninstalled ie in ctl panel, then went into safe mode and deleted it from Programs. I can not see any signs of ie on the computer but apparently ms has put some kind of secret thing that generates the same message. Good riddance.

scuzzy

You may have a problem updating Windows without IE, which will put your computer at risk.

I too do not like IE, but it remains a necessary evil.