• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Carol, November 10, 2000, 05:58 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol

My Dad has a new (about 4 months old) Athlon Thunderbird 700.  He has been very happy with it.  He bought if from Tiger Direct but it is made by Systemax.
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

n/a

Hey, Neon,

A friend of mine is considering a K7 Thunderbird from http://www.target-usa.com

I don't know much about them, but their prices look very good.

Joanie

This is a great place for Athlon information.

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/index.html

Joanie

quote:

I'm considering a new computer purchase in the next few months, and am early in the decision making process. The Athlon Thunderbird processors look real good to me, but of course you can't get Athlons with either Quantex or Dell. Do you have any experience getting a system with this processor? Nutrend computers have done fairly well in PC World for the past few months. Do you have any knowledge of their reliability, reputation, etc.?

Neon

thanks for the references. I looked at www.resellerratings.com, which has a lot of user feedback on Nutrend. To summarize the feedback, it seems like they use quality standardized components, and have good prices and poor customer service. AMD's site also has good info on the Athlon, though I'm still looking for info on which chips use aluminum and which are copper.

Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

n/a

Neon, my friend threw a new name into the hat today, Monarch Computer at http://www.monarchcomputer.com/ 3-yr P&L warranty IF you order with Win98SR2 as the OS. He says they have the best deal he's found on a top-end Thunderbird.

They look pretty good at resellerratings.com.

Neon

Thanks Bear (and friend), that's a nice find. I had not heard of Monarch before. They feature a nice palette of name-brand components, and allow you to highly customize your system. They also have pre-assembled systems. Prices are quite reasonable, too. The only minus I see is that they have no page for drivers. They definately go on my list.

Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Neon

I'm considering a new computer purchase in the next few months, and am early in the decision making process. The Athlon Thunderbird processors look real good to me, but of course you can't get Athlons with either Quantex or Dell. Do you have any experience getting a system with this processor? Nutrend computers have done fairly well in PC World for the past few months. Do you have any knowledge of their reliability, reputation, etc.?