• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Drought???

Started by Whizbang, July 13, 2007, 08:43 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

Every day this month has seen rain in the area.  We have had more rain this month than we sometimes have had during a whole summer.  Ironically, we are so wet because the west is so dry.  The moisture from the Pacific is trained up over the high pressure ridge and funneled down the eastern slopes to the Arklatex area.  Fortunately, Alabama is now beginning to get some of the benefits. The drought, however, caused so much topsoil decomposition that no amount of rain can repair the damage.  That repair will need to come from many years of organic buildup in the soil.

Chandler

This was our office building 2 weeks ago (Sheffield, UK):

In this photo, the area from the bottom of the photo up to the railings is the river, but normally you can see walkways on either side and the water level is about 1 metre below that.  The area between the railings and the buildings is was the roadway. 

I understand that the water got deeper than that later - it certainly went over the steps of the Harlequin pub but our building escaped due its height above ground level.

Ace

A.P.  BBC.  A&P
Damp Drought Drowns Arkansas and U.K.; Global Relief Sought
Volunteers worldwide urged to send dirt to last year's dust bowl

Recent rains and flooding have dampened the spirits of the citizenry of two communities, on either side of The Pond.  Coastal rains that moved inland doused Arkansas with actual moisture, much to the dismay of local fire ants.  While seeing the rain as a welcome relief, the Arkansansians noted that the eroded topsoil is unable to hold the water level and fresh dirt is soiley needed to reinforce the earth's crustacean layer there.

Coincidentally, the population of the Harlequin Pub in Sheffield, UK also recently realized the rise in floodwaters, besides the normal level in the men's room.  Although used to daily torrents of rain and gloom and despair, they were chagrined to find water underfoot as well.

"Sure, I'd give my dirt to Arkansas, if they need it" said one resident of Michiana, a magical yet mystical realm caught betwixt Indiana and Michigan.  "Heck, my soil is tops as far as I'm concerned.  I've often wanted to send a big chunk of sod or even a good sized mudball to those people down there."  "Send the dang trees, too..." muttered a Michigan/Michiander, having had a bad experience under one once.

Ironically, even though the Next Flood seems imminent despite promises to the effect that it wouldn't occur again according to the Rainbow Coalition, the Michiana area remains uncommonly dry, although not as stinking hot as a week ago. 

"Now, I gotta warn em, our dirt is a dry dirt here" added the Michianer.  "But beggars can't be choosers on gift soiled organic matter, can they..."  There was no particular plea or request by the Sheffielders on their rising river, or anything in particular they'd like people to send them.  "Beer would be good!" yelled one pubcrawler, as film crews captured the rising waters.  "But not that thin cold American stinking beer.  Real bold room-temperature English Ale!" he added.  One American nearby fainted in horror, in the thought of drinking warm beer.

Alabamans fear that they will be next in the line of the deluge from the Pacific, and many were trapped in their homes futiley trying to dial "911" but panicking in not being able to locate "11" on their phones....

A Michiana Jester was heard to say that he feared an imminent terrorist attack, based on recent developments... When pressed to ask for the evidence to back his claims, his only response was "It's just a gut feeling" but his alarm was dismissed when he revealed he had had Mexican food for two meals in a row.

Copyright 2007 The Associated BBC U.P. Upper Peninsula Conglomerate Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, looked hard at or sent astray.

Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Ok, Ace, you reeaaalllly need to get out more. "Count'n flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all...Count'n sheep till....

scuzzy

I dunno nothin' about dirt. But I have some spare appliances in my backyard that I might be wililng to part with, if the price is right. And I'm not referring to Bob Barker.

Come to think of it, I might be willing to donate my backyard all together. Out where we live, we have that nasty clay-like dirt. If I accidentally spill a glass of water on it, we're mired in mud for days. Since our appliances are outside, that makes it challenging to get a glass of milk in the middle of the night after a good rainstorm.

Mrs. Scuzzy: "Did you wash your feet before getting back into bed?"
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

"Did you wash your feet"...  Well, let's look into that, since the poast concerns water.

How would Scuzzy wash his feet; I'm guessing
1. an eyedropper
2. Soaked Q-tip
3. damp cotton swab
4. A drop of rainwater
10. Corner of a wet washcloth.

Anything that small wouldn't take much. 

Ace; he probably sprays Great Stuff into his shoes to save money on socks.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Oh sure, bring up the "Great Stuff" episode and rub it into my face. My hands are still scared from that junk, you know.

And there's nothing wrong with my perfectly proportionate feet. At least my toes don't weigh 10 lbs each.

Scuzzy; I like the idea of using Great Stuff to make a custom pair of sneakers. Talk about the perfect fit.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

Scuzzy's feet are perfectly normal since he is a normal person. Ace's feet have curved up toes since he is a jester. Now with that fact, why would Ace attack Scuzzy's feet? Does he have a foot fetish?   :-\
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

Oh, well THAT's real mature.. joking about somebody's feet.  Here we are having a sing-along to the tune of "How Dry Was Whiz" and you have to go commenting about Scuzzy's frighteningly small footage.  How infantile.  Well, pedophile. 

And the SHOES are curled, not the dang toes.  At least, not a first.

Anyway, here in the global warming oven that is Michiana we still haven't gotten but 1 splashdown for about 20 minutes over the course of a month.  So this whole Sheffield/ARK flood thing escapes us. 

ace; I bet I could waterski pretty well with curled shoes, though.

Ring bells for service.

Mark H

Did I just hear something jingle? No, it must have been a deranged fly on the wall.  ::)

Ace

I suppose it could have been you, shaking your head...

Ace; don't mind me if I forego the "emoticon"; that's a mahrk of sanity.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

7.19" of rain in July, so far.

This says it all.

halokid

Hi People ;D
Shoot thats what we need in California right about now! It's Dry as a bone and The heat has attacked the local golf course. I had to chip off a brown patch just the other day.

If only there were a way to split that rain storm in half and ship it to us, the now Golden-brown state, soon to be the crispy-black outer crust of the United States Pizza.

Mark H

I've only cut my grass 6 times this year in WV. I need to cut it a 7th, but I keep getting off work late.

Mark H

Ace

I haven't cut my grass at all in WV yet this year, and hardly in Michiana either.  We had weeks rain-free, and then heavy rains.  So the yard is brown and lush, sporadically.  The golf courses are ok if they've been watered, but the rough is more dirt these days.  Hope the crust doesn't break off, if it's a thin crust.  Nevada doesn't deserve a coastline.

I keep getting to work late, so I try to leave early to make up for it.

It's stinking hot again this week here.  The dog days are in.  Only mad ones and Englishmen go out during the day.  Well, I've been jogging in it, and golfing, but mostly just them.  No offense to any Englishmen who might be tuning in.

Ace; or dogs. Woof.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

How fast things can change.  August has been a real scorcher so far with no rain, but the fig bush behind the house has leaves for this first time in many years this late in the year.  I also had to cut the very fast-growing grass yesterday, but another week of 98Ã?º temps would slow that to a crawl.  The heat generally begins to wane a bit after the 20th with an early cool front not unusual.

Ace

As the World Turns, the globe warms... 

Stinking hot here, too.  At least that's what people close to me say.

hey, I was thinking; Adam and Eve used to refer to a fig bush as "the Clothing Store." 

Ace; "I'm going to go pick out a new outfit, dear.  Maybe something green."
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

We had 3 straight days near 100 degrees and it didn't rain one single day.

Mark H; The best thing about work is that it is in a cool office.  ::)

scuzzy

I don't understand the whole globe warming concept. If the dang temperature is rising all that fast, it seems to me that all we have to do is raise the Earth's RPMs a notch or two.

At least put windmills in strategic places and run them in reverse.

We can also send expeditions to the once-upon-a-time planet, Pluto, to bring back some ice. I'm guessing Plutonian ice must be pretty cold compared to ours. Heck, just drag the old hasbeen planet and stick it on top of the North Pole. Then paint it red so that it looks like a cherry.

Scuzzy; That should cool things down.

Whizbang

When it comes to global warming, science goes out the window.  The only component of air that has much heat capacity is water vapor.  Only water vapor has much reflectivity either, and only when it becomes partly opaque to light penetration in cloud formation.  The ironic thing here is that clouds reduce sun penetration, thus reducing air temperature above land.  The "Chicken Little" syndrome has become so hysterical that true scientific inquiry is rejected and actual measurements are greatly exaggerated as to cause and effect.

Air flow is becoming very chaotic with wildly deviating wind patterns that stir the atmosphere and render formerly ice-capped regions virtual arctic deserts.  That has nothing to do with atmospheric  content but with the controlling factor that drives the air currents.  That is something that has never been investigated because scientists have no idea what it is------>yet.

Ace

When it comes to science, Scuzzy goes out the window.  I have an idea where to put a windmill.

I remember that Chicken Little story, where he cried "Wolf!" and Humpty Dumpty fell on him.  Probably the best example of global warming was where Hansel and Gretel almost wound up.

I remember Pluto, and Goofy.  At least one of them was a Dog! But I wouldn't call either a Wolf! 

Ace; I agree with Whiz, and Guinness.  Brilliant!
Ring bells for service.