• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

spyware?

Started by ahopeter, February 12, 2004, 00:55 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

ahopeter

i was told something about spyware? i think its called that...but its something that helps like firewall or anti v would? can somebody tell me what this is, and do i need it? thanks
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

query

Spyware is one class of malware, which can do everything from serve up unwanted ads to collect data on your browsing habits.

Some antivirus and firewall apps will block some spyware - it's better to use a dedicated utility like SpyBot or AdAware to remove it and guard against it.

Azzz

yep i use adaware twice a week to keep those pesky things away

saoirse

I recommend installing Spyware Blaster.  

Spybot hasn't detected a thing since it's been on my machine.    

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html.    

Mark H

Quote from: saoirse on February 12, 2004, 07:41 hrs
I recommend installing Spyware Blaster.  

Spybot hasn't detected a thing since it's been on my machine.    

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html.    

I agree 100%, as Spybot doesn't find anything since I installed it. Ad-Aware occasionally finds something when I run it though, mostly data miners.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Tranquility_Base

Spybot S&D actually used to be the better option for me. A few months ago when i installed it it detected 10-15 files more than Ad-Aware. They've been declining for a while becoz their owner is facing lawsuits. I think its about the fact tht spybot does not remove adware completely, just replaces it with an empty dummy, so u could usually use programs like kazaa alongside Spybot, which is illegal. But Adaware removes any spyware completely.

ahopeter

thanks for the link...i just started downloading it, but a box popped up asking me to pick which items from the spyware database i want to have blocked...i have no idea what to check!!!1 please help!!!!
i'm just another helpless noob without Poasters.  i appreciate the help everyone...thank you!!!

Chandler

Quote from: Tranquility_Base on February 12, 2004, 09:31 hrs
Spybot S&D actually used to be the better option for me. A few months ago when i installed it it detected 10-15 files more than Ad-Aware. They've been declining for a while becoz their owner is facing lawsuits. I think its about the fact tht spybot does not remove adware completely, just replaces it with an empty dummy, so u could usually use programs like kazaa alongside Spybot, which is illegal. But Adaware removes any spyware completely.

Spybot removes the files.  Are you sure you're not thinking about Kazaa Lite (or K-Lite K++)?  This had a dummy ad file, and they (Kazaa Lite) are now being taken to court by Kazaa and the RIAA (with some amount of irony it would seem given why Kazaa was started!).

Spybot is 100% legitimate, there's nothing illegal about it, and it's receiving constant updates still.

Tranquility_Base

No i know about Kazaa Lite.
The info i got about Spybot was from the PC World downloads section i think. It said tht Spybot removes adware/spyware and replaces it with a dummy.

Have u seen the differences in updating Ad-aware and Spybot lately? It seems the last couple of weeks tht every day a new reference file is available, but for the last couple of months Spybot's updates have been slackening. I remember reading in a newsletter, I think it was by Steve Bass, tht Spybot's maker is being sued, and i speculated tht it was related to this method of removing spyware.