• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, February 13, 2001, 08:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Hi Don,

Your dealing with a shortage of bandwith like most of us. There may be a  small improvement with a new system but not much. My system is new and it still gets choppy.

DSL may be the answer. I am going to look into DSL soon.

Hopefully, somebody else will have a more practical solution for you.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

n/a

Don, are you running an Ensoniq PCI sound card? If you're not sure, check in Device Manager. If so and you're running the original driver, there's an upgrade available from www.ensoniq.com.

http://www2.mmind.net/bskarky/bb1cc.jpg" border=0>

--Bear

Don G

Joanie,

We don't have either DSL or Cable Modem available out here in the sticks.

Been told cable was supposed to be in Feb, this year, but I don't see any workmen out there.....hehe   Heck, we about ten years behind everyone else in getting cable TV.  So, I don't hold much hope for a better connection soon.

Bear,

This is what is listed in Device Manager:

Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI64V

Gameport Joystick

SB AudioPIC 64V Legacy Device

Wave Device for Voice Modem

I was told (by a local self-annointed expert---if you know what I mean) that merely upping my RAM would get rid of the skips.  I don't mind doing that, if it'll help. Just looking for some more reliable advice. (Heck, I don't know Ace, but would even listen to him....hehe)

Thanks,

Don
Don G

n/a

I checked the Ensoniq\Creative site (Creative bought out Ensoniq and the more recent drivers for the Ensoniq cards have the Creative name) and that looks like the current driver, though you might check to make sure that the release date is January 31st of 2000. The PCI cards can use either a 2 megabyte or a 4 megabyte waveset, so you might try the 4 meg (available at the Ensoniq site) and see if that makes a difference.

I would think 128 mg RAM would be plenty for playing wav files, unless you're running some pretty heavy apps and some huge wavs at the same time. On the hand, RAM is incredibly cheap right now. If you're planning on working that 'puter for another couple of years, more RAM sure wouldn't hurt.

But first, have you tried refreshing your audio driver? Checked all your cables and sound card for loose connections?

Maybe somebody else has another idea.

Dang, it's thundering again, I better unplug. Just love thunderstorms when it's 26 degrees. Don't you miss Oklahoma?

--Bear

Don G

Bear,

I'll check out the things you pointed out. And will probably go ahead with an additional 128 of RAM also.  Just wanted to be sure it would do some good.

Don't know what is considered big in Wav files but most of mine are 400-600 KB

Don't think I'm running anything special as far as apps go. Run Wavman and Winamp.  Generally, no other apps when running these, a couple of things in the background but not much, just bouncing aroung the web.

Just looked out the window and we're getting our first snow. Bout 3" on the ground already and more incoming.......:((  Fortunately, we don't have those biting temps very often. Only 32 out there now. Probably won't get much below 30.

But, I do miss those thunder and lightning storms. Remember sitting on my Grandma's porch watching that lightning dance.  People up here don't really know what lightning looks like.....but I know you do..<VBG>

Thanks,

Don
Don G

n/a

It's possible the problem is with the player you're using for the .wav files. Don't know anything about Wavman, but I never had much luck with Winamp, though I know lots of folks rave about it. Your wav files certainly aren't THAT big. Try opening them with MediaPlayer and see how they do.

If you decide to go with more RAM, we would of course appreciate you using the link on our main page, but in all honesty for the type of usage you describe I can't say you really need it.

So far the ice isn't melting. I went to bed shortly after last night's 'thunder' poast and slept through the power shutting down about 4 a.m. Unfortunately, Deadhead Fred didn't, and apparently deciding it was too quiet, he used the hallway cabinet doors as a percussion instrument. My wife woke and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got to drink chicory coffee brewed on the wood stove after the power coming on at eight finally did wake me.

It's an ice forest out there now, everything coated in clear plastic, the trees bowing under the weight. The barbed wire looks almost like a rail fence. And it's again raining lightly, now with a few snow flakes mixed in.

--Bear

Don G

Well, woke up this morning, power out, bout 8-10" snow on the ground and still coming. Almost 1PM now, finally got the power back, phones are up again, and snow seems to be letting up.  Temp still mild...thank God.

Wavman is just a program to manage wav files, and adds some fancy stuff to your fonts and emails, if you want.  I haven't played with it all yet, just got it a week ago. Pretty slick little shareware program. 30 day free trial, $20 if you want to keep it.  I'm not sure if it'll work for those with ME, though. Think it's only for 98 and below, but not really sure.

I think I noticed a thread in here about MediaPlayer a week or so ago. Seems I recall some having problems with the new version. Anyway I'll search for that thread, reread it and give it a try.

Will definitely use your link for purchasing RAM. Least I can do....:)

Better get this posted fore we lose power again.

Hope Ya'll Stay Warm,

Don
Don G

Andreas

Country Music...You and I love the same music!

Just as a note, I got tired of messing with Windows Media Player, and now use Winamp Lite for all of my audio playback...

Don G

Andrea,

Mine says version 2.7

Never saw a "lite" version.  Have you checked their site lately? There might be an upgrade available.  It's also free now, I think I remember seeing that they used to charge for it.

Anyway it's a great player. Got some Tim McGraw and Alison Krauss on now.

Country never dies......;)

Don

Don G

Don G

Hey Gang,

What I've got:

Q-PII-350, 128 mg ram, 8 gig HD (a little less than half full), Win98, don't know what else you need to know to answer.

Playing .wav's from my HD sounds really good most of the time but occasionally get skips.

What should I be looking at to grade to help get rid of those skips, or am I looking at a new system?

Appreciate any comments,

Don G
Don G