• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Buying a Power Supply

Started by scuzzy, November 13, 2002, 11:45 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

The subject of power supplies often comes up in the forum, and I have noticed that users often dismiss possible problems with their power supplies. Usually the underlying message is "The problem can't be the power supply, because it's a 350 watt model."

While wattage is important, there is much more to a power supply. You could make a similar comparison with cars. For example, you may need a car that is capable of speeds up to 75 MPH. Well, there's plenty of cars out there with that capability, but how many will steadily hold that speed when fully loaded and going uphill? Power supplies are similarly compared in their ability to cleanly and steadily provide maximum wattage under a heavy load. Many can claim to achieve a certain wattage, but what about when the power supply has to handle a heavy load for a sustained period of time? That's where the quality of the power supply becomes critical. Unlike a car that may eventually get over the hill, your computer will probably freeze, or give you errors.

When purchasing a power supply there are other areas to consider besides the wattage. What about the quality of the fans? Or the length of the wiring harness? How many connectors? It is rated for the newest class of CPUs? Is it a single or dual fan model? Does the manufacturer provide an emergency rocker-type power switch? What's the noise level?

As I previously mentioned, wattage is important. For a modern computer you may want at least a 300 watt power supply. If you have a lot of high-power consuming components, look for 400 watt and higher. I am currently using an Antec Truepower 330 watt model, which more than satisfies my accessory-loaded computer.

As for cost, expect to pay upwards of $50 for a quality power supply. Some high quality models easily exceed $100. While that may seem like a lot, you might have different thoughts when your power-hungry video card continues to lock up your computer due to an insufficient power supply.

We at Poasters are always happy to recommend one model or another. However, you'll find three manufacturers who are well known for making quality power supplies: PC Power and Cooling, Antec, and Enermax. There are other quality manufacturers out there, but make sure you shop carefully for a model that will satisfy both your immediate and future needs.

Edit: Here's a handy PSU Calculator to help you determine how much wattage you need: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator - Antec Edition
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor