• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, November 22, 2000, 15:40 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Well, I'm glad you found us.

I have yet to get my hands on a Dell 4100 series (I own a Dimension XPS-R350), but someday hope to. Regardless, I was reading in the latest issue of PC Magazine that the Editor's Choice in a recent roundup was a Micron machine (http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2653975,00.html). One thing nice about the Micron is the 5 year warranty, but I don't know how their customer/tech service compares to Dell. - SCUZZY

quote:

I am glad I did not buy a Q. This time last year I was seriously considering it. I had checked out your old site a number of times to get info. Found this one while looking for info. on a Dell usersgroup.

Planning on buying a Dell 4100, 1Ghz. machine this week. Anyone have any comments about this machine. Thanks for the help.

Mike C.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Joanie

Welcome to the Forum Mowman.

Your decision going with Dell is a wise one considering what has been going on with Quantex.

There are many Dell owners here in the Poasters Forum and they are all happy campers

Hope your new Dell is a Pentium IV.

Joanie

mowman

Going with PIII, 1Ghz. Wish Dell would get in bed with AMD. I would have like to try the new 1Ghz thunderbird processors. But I do not want to roll the dice with GW. Those are the only two brands in the running.

Mike C.

scuzzy

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Bubba

I also read the Micron vs. "others" review in PC Magazine. I often wonder if there is really much of a spread between the best and the worst, or if "any" of the ones tested are actually "not-good-enough-for-the-average-user". Everything can fail from time to time, so of course the Tech/Phone support is the most important for me. If you've read the 'puter reviews for a while, the four or five "big guys" seemed to all take turns being rated "Best" for tech support.And some other brands were "always" the bottom five. Q seemed to do pretty good with their tech rating, but if they struggle at the cash register, support is probably the first area in any company, to feel the pinch. Now "another" point about the Micron 'puters, the Best Buy stores carry them in stock [some] I have heard people growl about some of Best Buys policies and products [ some say they buy the "older" versions of appliances and components, that is why they can price them as such ] but I have never had any complaint refused there, and it does offer a place,, that if you get completely disgusted with your new Micron, you can take it back for a refund, avoiding all the phone calls, UPS trucks, RAN numbers, and such. And Micron is pretty long-in-the-tooth, and seems to have survived the "puter wars" by still producing a top rated machine, where it's bang is not gobbled up by the buck !

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

mowman

I am glad I did not buy a Q. This time last year I was seriously considering it. I had checked out your old site a number of times to get info. Found this one while looking for info. on a Dell usersgroup.

Planning on buying a Dell 4100, 1Ghz. machine this week. Anyone have any comments about this machine. Thanks for the help.

Mike C.