• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

"page cannot be displayed"

Started by pointman1, October 11, 2004, 00:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

pointman1

certain webpages... when i type them in they will begin to load on the bottom status line, then stop... eventually it will display "Page cannot be displayed".  it has to be my computer as i have had my sister and my nephew try on their computers... and it loads fine! any help would be greatly appreciated!

query

Antivirus up to date and running?  Windows up to date?  Firewall running?  Antispyware scan completed?

pointman1

Everything completed... except the windows update... i havent received the little icon in a while.

Whizbang

Have you tried another browser such as Firefox, or the full Mozilla package?  

pointman1

i tried mozilla firefox, it also didnt work.

konsole

maybe try repairing the internet explorer installation?

start>settings>control panel> add remove programs> internet explorer

when you double click internet explorer from that list it should give you the option of repairing it

query

If firefox didn't work either, look for a rogue hosts file (in \windows\system32\drivers\etc).  If it's got more than one entry (i.e., without a # in front - 127.0.0.1), rename it, reboot and retry the browser.

pointman1

Quote from: konsole on October 13, 2004, 11:52 hrs
maybe try repairing the internet explorer installation?

start>settings>control panel> add remove programs> internet explorer

when you double click internet explorer from that list it should give you the option of repairing it
thanks for the idea Konsole, but there is no "repair" option.

pointman1

Quote from: query on October 13, 2004, 12:53 hrs
If firefox didn't work either, look for a rogue hosts file (in \windows\system32\drivers\etc).  If it's got more than one entry (i.e., without a # in front - 127.0.0.1), rename it, reboot and retry the browser.

Query, can you please give me step by step directions??? Sorry, I am a super noob.  I really appreciate it... thanks!

query

Look in that directory for a file called hosts.  Open it with notepad.  You'll see some text, a few lines starting with hash marks (#) and should then see only one entry (127.0.0.1 localhost) that doesn't have a hash mark.  If there's anything else in there, delete it and save the file.  Then reboot.

hosts file takes precedence of nameserver lookup - many malware apps put entries in there to block access to things like security (antiviirus) sites.

pointman1

Query, im sorry, i am completely lost about computers... can you tell me where to go to start that process??? thanks!

Whizbang

Open the System32 folder in Windows folder.
Open the drivers folder.
Find the etc folder in the drivers folder and open it.
Open the hosts file with Notepad.
Look for any entry other than 127.0.0.1 localhost that does not have a  
    # by it and delete it.
Save hosts file and reboot.

If you are a bit queezy about deleting anything, rename the offending file; record the new name and old name; and reboot.

pointman1

Whizbang...where is the "system 32 folder"? :-[ :-[ :-[

sorry.

query

Open "My Computer".  Open your C drive.  Open the Windows folder.  Then open the system32 folder, then the Drivers folder.  Locate hosts and right-click on it.  Choose "open with" and then "notepad".

pointman1

Query, thanks for the great instructions.  I get as far as the "host" folder... but there is no "open with" option...just "open" and "send to"..and in send to, there is no notepad option.

there is another folder next to "host"... "lmhosts"...this one has a "open with" option... but when i click it, it says i dont have the correct files to open it?!@?

query

Check both of them  -- open notepad first if you have to, and then the file.  They're both just plain text files.

pointman1

Quote from: query on October 14, 2004, 21:11 hrs
Check both of them  -- open notepad first if you have to, and then the file.  They're both just plain text files.

great thanks!!! this is what it says:

#      171.99.52.89     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       35.65.66.43     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

erase the top two???

pointman1

after erasing them do what exactly? im lost. thanks Query!

query

No, that's fine - the  hosts file is not the problem.  That's a default hosts file.

pointman1

really?! what can i do then? what do you think is the problem??

thanks

query

Did you ever find a virus/trojan/other malware on your system - and if so, which one?

pointman1

i just checked my AVG "test results" and it found "subseven" as a virus not too long ago.  and it says "still infected"... but when i rescan it doesnt show up???

query

Try re-scanning in safe mode.  Also give the system a run with one of the dedicated trojan removers - McAfee's Stinger or Trend's TSC (Trend System Cleaner) - you can run them standalone, without loading the entire antivirus package.

You might also want to give the Winsock Fixer a try

http://www.ronspcshop.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=8

www.trendmicro.com

www.nai.com

pointman1

Thanks Query...

i did the winfix you linked...and it said it fixe something...but i still cant log onto some sites.

i did the next two links in regualr mode and they found nothing.

i tried to do AVG scan in safe mode, but it wouldnt work...i get into safe mode okay (dell screen then hit "f8" key)...am i doing something wrong??

thanks...any other things i can try are GREATLY appreciated!

Buffalo2102

Do you have a firewall installed?
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

pointman1

pointman1

i just opened "AVG Virus Vault".

it has two logs:

file name

stat1.class...path: C:\documentsandsettings\owner\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\CONTENT.IE5\HWZ5H4E\stat[1].class

file name

load.exe...path:
c:\WINDOWS\downloaded program files\load.exe

it gives me the choice of deleting them... should I? is it possible it is the problem?

Whizbang

AVG vault is for isolating and locking suspected viruses and trojans.  Load.exe is the name of a trojan and also some reputable program loaders.  Unless you have recently installed a Novell program or another that contains that executable file, it is likely that trojan.   No harm should result if you leave the files in the vault.  The option remains to restore any in the vault that prove to be reputable and their removal has disabled a program.

If you are on DSL, cable, or Ethernet, I would choose the option to empty Temporary Internet FIles when IE is closed.  Better yet, stop using IE completely and go to a version of Mozilla or Opera.

pointman1

oh okay, thanks Whizbang.

I have Mozilla too...but it also doesnt allow me to get access to some pages.

this is very important to me.  Any ideas at all on what other things may be the culprit here???

thanks soooooo much.

Buffalo2102

Is there anything in the Zone Alarm log about blocking access?  Try and access the unreachable sites and see if anything new appears in the log.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.