• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, February 04, 2001, 11:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

Changing a mainboard means effectively building a system.  Everything inside the machine except for the power supply has to come out and then be reinstalled.  Most times, you will also need to do a complete reinstall of the operating system afterward.

What you can use depends on your current system.  If it's a PentiumII or newer, most ATX-format boards should fit just fine.  If it's a Pentium system, it may be ATX (currently the most popular) or AT-format.  If it's AT, your choices in new boards are extremely limited - I would suggest replacing the case and power supply with ATX and upgrading that way.

If all you need is a new board, RAM (perhaps) and CPU, the upgrade may be cost-effective.  If you need a new hard drive, CD-ROM, video card, sound board, etc., in addition to the core components, a new system may be in order rather than an upgrade.

Most mainboard vendors are decent these days, with the exception of anything from PCChips (most boards will be M7xx, M9xx, etc., though the name may be Alton, Amptron, Houston Tech, Eurone, Matsonic, PCChips, Hsing Tech, Fugu Tech - there are about 20 of them).  I also do not like ABit boards - though they're the darlings of the overclocking set, the quality control isn't great and most vendors will tell you the RMA rates run about twice what they are for other vendors (i.e., your chance for getting a lemon is higher).

brashlinus

this is to query or anyone else who would know, you suggest buying a new motherboard for my computer, would any motherboard fit into my tower or would i need to buy specific motherboards?  how hard is it to change a motherboard?