• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Java Software Alternative?

Started by Traveller, February 15, 2009, 08:41 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveller

Hi All.

My hard drive has given up yet again, so I've had to install my W98SE on another one from scratch. The problem is that some links on the Internet aren't opening and I cannot view any streaming flash videos. I have already installed Adobe Flash, as it was prompted at one of the websites I visited, however, the links still won't open and the videos still won't appear.

I am assuming that this may be due to there not being any Java software on my computer. If this is correct, before I install the usual Java software from Sun, I wanted to ask if Sun's software was the only one available or is there any other that loads faster AND works good? I have searched the Internet but haven't found anything. Sun's Java grumbles for a good LONG time before it loads when any Java site is loaded. Is there a good, fast alternative, similar to how there are quicker alternatives available for reading PDF files instead of Adobe Reader?

Thanks.

Traveller

Hi Ja. Thanks for the help.

Well I can't remember having to install Java myself, so I don't know where MS's Java is hiding. When installing Windows, I did do a custom install, so maybe I left it out (if that's possible).

I've downloaded the removal tool from the link you suggested and will now run it to see what happens.

In the meantime, I've got a few more questions on Java.

What is the difference between the Java in Internet links (the ones that don't open if you disable Java in the web browser) and the Java that is used on website homepages which causes a great delay in the page loading and the little Java icon to appear on the bottom right of the taskbar (next to the clock/volume icons)? Is the same software used for both or are they both different things? Is it possible to have one without the other?

Also, what is the difference between enabling/disabling Java and enabling/disabling Java Script in the web browser settings?

Thanks.

Traveller

Hi JA.

Ok, I've just removed the MSJVM. Well, that's what it told me it's done anyway!

The link I got the download from was not MS; it was a third party site.

Oh I do hope this prevents my Java problems, which I had posted about on here years ago!

The fact that you haven't come across an alternative Java software leads me to believe that there may not be a good enough one available and Sun may be the only option! I've had untold problems with Java!

Thanks.

If anyone has any ideas regarding my other questions, that would be great as I do not want to install any more Java software than is absolutely needed.

Traveller

Ok, I've installed CCleaner and cleaned the registry.

I had already clicked a link in Firefox which prompted to install flash, so I thought it was already installed, however, it looks like it didn't get installed somehow because I Installed flash again and this has made the links work!

Yes I know I should change but I'm stuck with W98 for the moment. I am aware that there will always be issues with an old OS, but I like the fact that I can simply re-install my OS from my CD whenever I want (due to numerous hard drive failures, new hard drives, etc) without the hassle of having to explain myself to MS.

I guess it's going to have to be Sun's Java then.

Thanks JA.

Traveller

Yes and no. Yes I got Adobe Flash, but I didn't get it from Adobe's website; I got it from Filehippo. The reason for this was because, as is often the case, the owners of programs don't provide clear enough info at their own website and so, one has to resort to searching elsewhere. Adobe didn't mention Firefox specifically, whereas Filehippo did. I'm assuming that the Netscape version was the correct one to use for Firefox, but wasn't 100% sure, so downloaded from Filehippo, who clearly stated that the version was for Firefox and Windows 98. Don't you just hate it when they do that?! Alot of 'em don't even state which OS their program runs on.

'I know a guy who insists he prefers Windows 95 and still uses it.'

Can't say that I can blame him!

Just for information, what about flash? Are other flash programs available or is it like Sun Java where there aren't any other options? Thanks.

lynwell07

The fact that you haven't come across an alternative Java software leads me to believe that there may not be a good enough one available and Sun may be the only option! I've had untold problems with Java!