• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

The Closing Ceremonies

Started by Ace, August 25, 2008, 06:32 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

No, not here... when this place closes it'll just be a "gone fishin'" sign hanging out front.

You know, for all around pageantry and Busby Berkley overkill the Chinese are tops.  That closing ceremony last night (from yesterday morning? taped a week ago?) looked like Cirque de Soleil on acid.

It helps to have a zillion people in your country, just so a couple million can hook up to the overhead cables and run up and down a steEl tower.  I bet even most of the fireworks were real.  Those guys know their fireworks, that's for sure.  I never did see the final B-Ball game; no idea when they showed that.  Shoot, I missed a lot of the big events with NBC's stupid "wait till 11:30 at night and maybe we'll get around to showing one of them."  I know Jamaicans are uncommonly fast, and Brazilians must just play volleyball, on or off the beach, and we need to start practicing handing around a stick NOW to get ready for London.  Maybe we can get a Poasters Road Trip together for the London games, so Buff and Chandler can serve as our hoasts.  Plus, they'll need to stock up on warm beer and wine.  I wish they'd at least chill some of the wine.  The beach volleyball was fun, especially the final wet tee shirt and sand event.  Really, I just watch it for the athleticism.  I didn't know that guy from Smashing Pumpkins was 6 ft 9" and played volleyball.  I was soooo glad they showed the marathon in real time....("paint drying is on"...).

All in all, I thought it was a pretty ok Olympics even though I figure I saw maybe a third of anything about it.  Apparently they're still checking documents on the Chinese girls' (young girls.  pre-teen girls.  all day kindergarten girls.) gymnastics team.  If some of those kids are 15 then some of those little league players aren't in their 20's, either.  We shoulda split our team and theirs into age groups.  "Women's" and "Children's". 

In commemoration of the Jamaicans I got some Red Stripe this weekend.  You go, Mon.

Ace; I'll probably skip the stupid winter games, since I hate winter. 
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Oh, are we re-opening for the Fall season?

B-

BTW I agree with your sentiments.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

scuzzy

I thought you wrote "Cloning Ceremonies." My immediate thought was, "Now what?"

I like the idea of Buff 'n Chandler having to put up with us. Free beer and wine sounds good, even if it is warm.

Scuzzy; I wonder if London brew is as good as the German stuff.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

I thought you wrote "Clowning Ceremonies" and I was gonna say criminy, I'm a jester not a clown.  Clowns are just scary.  I know I said to send them in here once, but that was out of desperation.

With some wines I don't appreciate the sediments.  I don't like to chew wine.  Hey; this week the Conventions start but they're not on TV so it's not like the Olympics.  Maybe Mrs. Obama will run against Mrs. Clinton in a 100 meter dash.  Of course, somebody will say they're playing the race card.

Ace; "German beer is chemical free... Germany's all right with me" from Why Aye, Man? by Mark Knopfler
Ring bells for service.

pat

I missed the show and most of the events as well. I've been spending a lot of my free time at the beach this summer. The weather has been great and the water has been warm, so why not?

From what I hear though the Olympics went well, we did watch some of the high diving, that was cool. I already have my mind made up for the election so I'm not tuning in to any of that stuff anymore. 
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

Oh.. you said "beach"...  I was thinking Hillary talked last night and you were calling her... well, never mind.  Hey; on that beach, did that have bikini clad Misty Mays and what's her name the tall one playing volleyball?  That'd be cool.

I agree on politics.  Of course, here in Indiana we have "Smoke and Mirrors" and "Cypher; the Invisible Candidate" running for Governor.  I'm figuring we'll probably sell the state itself soon and be run by a Spanish-Australian conglomerate. 

Ace; G'day Hola.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

I already decided who I'm NOT voting for.

And I wouldn't say anything about Hillary at the beach. The last thing I want is to see her in a bikini playing beach volleyball. I'd rather see George Bush on a balance beam wearing a thong.

You wrote "Smoke and Mirrors" as if that's a bad thing. You would think that politicians who can do magic on the side would be a plus.

Scuzzy; I thought you wrote "Clown Crematoriums"
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Thing... thing a thong... thing it loud... thing it strong...

Hey; I hope you didn't have traffic duty at Mile High Stadium last night.  I don't know where all those people would park.

You know what would have been funny?  If the networks would've cut to the Convention Center, and showed some guy in his cool political party hat and buttons, sitting all by himself in an empty hall, looking around and checking his watch wondering "Huh.  Where is everybody?  When the heck is he supposed to talk tonight?"

Ace; Speedo.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

It looks like you were describing a jester, complete with party hat and large, colorful buttons. And shoes. The confused look would be natural.

If I catch you in a Speedo, you will be getting a ticket.

Scuzzy; we'll just start out with a warning.

Buffalo2102

I'd be glad to serve as hoast for 2012, although I don't live very near London.  A bit nearer than you lot do though.

Oh, and don't worry about the wine - it's not really around log enough to get warm anyway.

Buff; you're welcome.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

Ace

That's ok if we don't actually go to London.  I'd just as soon watch it on TV.  Oh; "Telly."  Pat and I are near Chicago but I wouldn't want to go there for Olympics either. 

We can just kick back at your place and drink and play games or go out and swing with your kid.  And watch Olympics.  Maybe Johnny could film them, and get Olympicspics. 

Ace; If I drink a lot I get log enough.
Ring bells for service.