• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

B.S.O.D.

Started by JimS, April 15, 2008, 12:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

JimS

Is the B.S.O.D. hardware or software based?  My IBM T-40 with WinXP Pro has been getting them with increasing frequency.  Sometimes it happens while I'm using it, and sometimes it will appear on its own, with nothing running except Windows and with me not doing anything.  The Microsoft explanation says it's because of a problem with a driver and they offer no solution, but I've added nothing to my system in a while, so I'm not clear on how a driver can be the problem.  I have an extended warranty on this system that runs until July 2008, at which point it will be five years old.  If it can be hardware-based, I'd like to get it repaired while it's still covered.

Thanks.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

JimS,
My two cents...and you're  probably not going to like either.  I believe it can be either or both.  I had an older system that developed that problem.  It was a failing power supply.  I have also had BSODs where windows was the culpret.  I would start by making certain you haven't picked up a virus or other malware.

Unless the warranty is a no out of pocket variety, are you sure a 5 year old is worth the expense?

Bill
BTW, did JoeS make a decision on which to buy?

B
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

JimS

Thanks, Bill, I figured it could be both, but thought I'd ask those more in the know.  The warranty covers shipping both ways, so if there is a hardware problem, the worst that will happen is I'll be without a computer for a few days.

You raise another point I've been mulling over.  This computer has been a workhorse, and functionally, it's all I need.  However, the 40 gB hard drive has less than one gB of free space, and I only have 768 mB of RAM.  I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to spend another $150 - 200 on it and get a larger drive and a one gB memory chip.  With Vista stumbling as it has, XP will be around for a while, despite what Microsoft says, so with some added breathing room on the hard drive and memory, this puppy should be good to go for another few years.  Or so I think...

Joe and I are still going over specs and prices right now.  I didn't feel that the prices at the Lenovo clearance center were all that hot.  We're going back and forth between the R-61 and T-61, trying to find the best price/performance package.  I may also give the new Dell a closer look.

Thanks again.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

I bought an R-61e which is admittedly the lower, cheaper spec.  But it came with Core 2 Duo at 2ghz with 2 gig of ram and  a 100 gig 7200rpm HD, and a nine cell battery. I wiped the bloat and installed XP Pro.  But no touch pad, which is OK because I prefer a mouse.
Frankly I think it's terrific but I am not a gamer, at all.  This is used only as a portable office type work horse.
Pretty solid unit.

Bill

Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

JimS

I thought the R-series had a touchpad...  If they don't, that eliminates the R's, because I've never been able to use the eraser.  I'm sure Joe would rather have the touchpad also.

Does anyone else have an opinion on if it's worth investing in a hard drive and memory for a five-year-old IBM T40?

Thanks again.
- Stephen Grellet

Bill

JimS,
I believe it is the R61 e series that doesn't have the touchpad.  the R61 i and R61 both have one.

Bill

JimS

Tried to trick me, huh, Bill?    ???

I was sure the R's had touchpads; now I know to not get the E-series.

Thanks again for your insights.
- Stephen Grellet

JimS

- BUMP -

Can't let my son have top billing here, now can I???

Seriously, does anyone have an educated opinion on the practicality/logic of upgrading a five-year old IBM T-40?  I must admit I'm having some second thoughts due to the increasing frequency of the B.S.O.D.  I still don't know if this is a software or hardware problem, or both, but I'm reserving judgment until I give it's 40 gB drive more than 0.75 gB of free space.

Thanks.
- Stephen Grellet

pat

I wouldn't.

I don't know that I can offer any sound judgment, but I do believe any monies spent on a system of that vintage may be better spent or saved towards a new one.

As to the BSOD problems, I would copy off all files that are important to you and then do a format and reinstall of OS and see if problem persists.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Bill

Before you reformat, if thats what you decide, I would suggest you copy the files that are important but not used regularly and then take them off the HD.  If you can clear a couple gigs of free space, we might be surprised to see the problem go away.  I recently bought a 4 gig flash drive for about $20.00 from Newegg.

Bill