• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Pop-ups and Spyware

Started by dickwol, May 02, 2004, 11:47 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

dickwol

I've been running XP home with the added Google Toolbar with pop-up supressor for several months. It did a great job stopping all of the popups. Lately I am again receiving pop-ups and now notice that my Adaware and Spybot search discover more Spyware entries on my computer then in the past. I run both programs weekly and with the latest updates. I just ran both programs, deleted the the offending entries and upon opening my browser received one of those "Security Warning" Do you want to install and run Virtual Bouncer to chaeck your computer for Adware & Spyware and accept the licens agreenment . (distributed by Spyware Lab Inc). I of course say "no", but after a while it pops back up. My question is how can I get rid of this and since google no longer stops all popups very well is there another free program that I can use to do this? Thanks Guys!!

Neon

Mozilla 1.6 does a pretty good job of stopping popups.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Chandler

Once Service Pack 2 is released for Windows XP, you could use the popup stopper built into Internet Explorer 6.05.  Release Candidate 1 is already out to download, but many find it's new security features to be a little annoying.

As Neon mentioned, Mozilla 1.6 and Mozilla Firefox both block popups too.

dickwol

Thks. Is Mozilla 1.6 a popup blocker? I'm not looking to replace my IE. When is GA date (general availability) for Service Pack 2?

pat

Are you running firewall software?
If not give the free version of Zonealarm a spin.

Also be sure to turn off Windows Messenger. You may not be getting regular pop-ups they may be messenger pop-ups.
Start > settings > control panel > administrative tools > services > scroll down and highlight messenger, double click or right click and select properties. Select disable and click, OK.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Mark H

Quote from: dickwol on May 02, 2004, 14:34 hrs
Thks. Is Mozilla 1.6 a popup blocker? I'm not looking to replace my IE. When is GA date (general availability) for Service Pack 2?

Mozilla is a browser interface like IE. It would be used instead of IE, but IE would still be available as well.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

dickwol

I believe that my pop-ups were messenger
initiated. I never realized that there existed an option under services to put a "sock in its mouth". Thks.  Yes I realize that IE would still be available, just like Mozilla is available when running IE. I like IE and will stick with it, idiosynchrasies notwithstanding. Thank you.

Neon

You're welcome. Drop by for advice anytime.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Whizbang

I would not drop the Google popup stopper applet, if you still want to use IE.  The problem is that newer intrusive approaches are being found that Google is not designed to keep out.  Running SpyBot regularly helps due to the continual upgrade of the program.  I dropped messenger programs "many moons" ago because of their porous nature and ease of hacking into your computer through them.

Chandler

There are certain "popups" which aren't true popups, they're actually part of the page, either as fake window type which scrolls on (these cannot be blocked) or those Flash/Shockwave adverts which make annoying noises or enlarge when you move the mouse over them.

I only use Google Toolbar and SpywareBlaster and that combination (along with Messenger Service disabled) has proved effective for me.

Mark H

I run Google Toolbar and SpywareBlaster. I have the bit in Spywareblaster set to block flash.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

dickwol

Thanks all!! Disabling Messenger seems to have quieted things. I'm sure if it wasn't my sole source of trouble, certainly it was an enabler. I will also look into Spyware blaster. I originally did some searches to see if the Google Toolbar might have been updated with something on the order of a new reference file similar to what adaware or your Norton would provide. There is an updated version but its enhancements have nothing to do with its level of sensitivity to new popups.      

pat

Good, glad to hear it.
Besides Spywareblaster Javacool software also offers spywaregaurd. It runs in the back ground and offers some protection against browser hijacking.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

txsidewinder1

Microsoft uses akamai company to download and upgrade Windows. Akamai also has big clients in Sir Search, Doubleclick, Servedby, xxxdailer, etc.

Akamai also sets on top of my mailbox startup up with doubleclick and servedby. Akamai is suppose to be a good guy because of its security networks for businesses and filesharing. I think of them as a spy network.  Could be where the popups are coming from.
I always run anti-spyware on my computer and keep it up to date. Do you?

Chandler

I'm pretty certain that any popups you're getting are not from Microsoft.  In fact, I've never even heard of Akamair until you mentioned them, but all they do is store Internet content locally so that it can be accessed faster.  They've got nothing to do with spyware as far as I can see.

Run Spybot Search and Destroy and also Spyware Blaster on your computer.  Chances are you've got something like VX2 or Comet Cursor installed (just examples).

LugwidVanB

After months of popups being deleted before they ever showed up I am suddenly being bombarded with these things again. I use the Panicware blocker and most of the popups are minimized but some still appear on the screen. This is baffling because I haven't been doing anything different. It may be the popup creeps have figured a way around the blockers.

I have Win 98. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the messenger? It must be different bec the instructions here don't apply. Thanks

Tom

Whizbang

You probably have a spyware trojan on your computer.  SpyBot does a good job of wiping them if you get them early, but trojans spread quickly and once they hit the registry are virtually impossible to wipe out with any cleaning program.  Run MSCONFIG to see what is being loaded at startup.  If nothing shows up that is suspicious, you might need to run Merijn's Hijackthis to examine all activity that is on your computer that MSCONFIG does not catch.  It will post the info as a log.

Google will stop only web-based pop-ups.  If they are initiated from your computer, that bypasses IE, which Google is associated with.  Another "trick" now being employed is hidden pop-ups that do not appear over your browser but on the last layer under the last window just on the desktop screen.  Those are the ones I hate because it is as though the site is saying, "Gotcha anyway."

LugwidVanB

Thanks Whizbang, I'll try the tips. These *!&$)# things are like the tree rats (aka squirrels) getting into my bird feeder. Extremely determined. Constant warfare. I pop one every now and then but two more show up to take his place.