• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

The Departed

Started by Ace, March 10, 2008, 11:53 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace

No, not the Poasters from back when.. or last week.  The movie "The Departed."  Scorsese directing a bunch of stars.  Nobody gets out of here alive.  Well, almost nobody.  It's a great gangster cop shootemup, and Boston always seems to lend its natural grey-area criminal ambience well to gangster/cop moviies. 

It is not suitable for young audiences, unless you want to toughen them up or have them verbally abuse other children better on the playground. 

We had a shrimp and rice and mushroom dish, with pan fried scallops as well.  And an pungent S. African Chardonnay.  It was Friday, it was good.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the movie.  Although gritty, it was entertaining.  For a lighter Saturday night viewing we went with "28 Days Later", regarding the rage plague overcoming London and pretty much all England.  That one is always good for a few laughs.  Plus, it has chimpanzees and who doesn't love a good chimp movie.

Ace; I hope Michael Jackson's monkey catches it.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

Charlton Heston, for one!

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

Wow... I'd make a lousy straight man.  I stared at "Charleton Heston" and for the life of me I could not figure out what one he'd be... I was thinking "he departed..?" or "likes shrimp...?" or "shot a man in Boston.. just to watch him die?"  Or "would just as soon shoot Michael Jackson, as look at him...?"

Monkeys.  Ok.  Not a fan; alright.  That wasn't obvious, and I'm the one who even said it. 

Ace; sometimes I mystify myself.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Actually that was pretty good and quick thinking Bill, yeah and stumped Ace.
Ace walked into a stump and..............

But back to the movies, I thought we already went to Departed or maybe that was just me. Yep, good flick, Martin Sheen really fell for that one. I tried the 28 day one and ended up just turning it off, just couldn't get into it. That other one, I am Legend, was very similar but better done.

I had a dinner and movie yesterday. Ribeyes cooked out on the grill and a great big artichoke for the dinner and American Gangster for the movie. It's supposed to be based on a true story and if so Frank should have taken the advice, Quiting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting. Very entertaining though. Denzel Washington plays the bad guy well. I also liked him in Training Day when he played the bad cop, worse cop role so well.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

Hey! Whom are you calling a monkey? Aside from Davy Jones and company.

Okay, I just added "The Retarded" to my Netflix queue based on your recommendation. This better be a good movie, as I only have time to watch one per week with my schedule. Or as they say in Britain... "shedule".

Scuzzy; I love it when the bad guy gets it in the end.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

Alright, Pat; first you say I'm easily puzzled and then you accuse me of being forgetful.  Make up my mind, will ya?

I looked for a Departed title and didn't see one, so I figured a trailer was in order.  I do have that last Planet of the Apes film, but it's not one I'd really say was memorable.  We actually drove to Chicago to see the first one when it was released.

"Bill stumps Ace."  Must be a day that ends in "y."

Ace; shoot, Fido could stump Ace.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Forgetful? Maybe.

You brought the thing up in the pan poast, but that has been some time ago so it's certainly understandable.

Anyway it was a good movie so a flash back was certainly in order.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

The pan poast..?  The Pan Pizza Poast??  Geez Criminy, so we finally did manage to combine every dang poast into the pizza poast? 

It figures.  I forgot I was forgetful, so I'll take responsibility for that.

For what? Now what'd I do

Oh. hold it. Ok, sorry.  Lost my train of thought for a minute, there.  Yes, Departed was good.  Maybe I could get a mob job.  You know, it'd be kinda funny if the mob did hiring at a Career Fair.  Bunch of guys in striped suits and dark glasses, standing at a booth...  Car running, outside.  Some jobseeker walks up, and one says "Are youse talkin' to me? Huh? I said, are youse talkin' to me?!"

Ace; they actually talk like that, I think.
Ring bells for service.

pat

Yeah, I have family that talks like that.

I also recently saw The Brave One with Jodie Foster, sort of a mediocre film for sure. Kind of like the old Charles Bronson Death Wish series of films. One can only hope she doesn't decided to make 4, 5 or 6 of the darn things.

Did see a Robin yesterday so things are lookin spring.

Ace

You know, we saw a flock of Robins on 23 near the Douglas intersection, by the medical park.  No where else.  I actually had to turn around to see them, as my wife yelled and I missed them on the first pass. 

I heard Stallone was going to re-do the Bronson kill-em-all series?  Like anyone needed to.  Criminy, Jodie Foster couldn't even take out Hannibal when she had the chance... 

"Fargo" was on TV Saturday; we own it, but watched it anyway.  Great Winter movie; right up there with "The Day After Tomorrow" and "Ice Age."  Criminy, I don't know why anyone would live in the Dakotas.  It's lousy enough here.  But a great twisted film.  I know I'll like "No Country For Old Men" by the Coens too.  Although I don't appreciate the sentiment.

Ace; no, not sediment.  That's in the old Merlots.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

So did you hit them the second pass? I like to drive up and down the roads as fast I can; swerving all over the place to hit bunnies. I usually miss them on the first pass and they're gone by the second.

I hate when movie-makers ruin perfectly good TV shows, such as Mission: Impossible. But I'd like to see some old TV shows redone as new TV shows that remain true to the originals. Hawaii 5-0, The Untouchables, Mission: Impossible, Felix The Cat, etc.

You know, I really enjoyed watching The Wonder Years with Fred Savage. Well, not "with" him. It's not like he sat next to me and watched the show.

I ordered The Departed from Netfix so that my neighbor can watch it and then sell it on eBay. Since most of them have become lost in the mail, I'm guessing that's what's going on. Our hairy-legged mail person has a lot of difficulty in placing mail in the right mailbox, although she is personable.

Scuzzy; Bunny Killer
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Ace

The Addams Family was on the other day; I forgot just how quirky that was.  It was waaaay better than The Munsters. And in watching Monkees reruns, how bad that was.

I guess if I was going to vote for a 60's redo I'd go with F Troop.  I always like Outer Limits, and Twilight Zone and Night Gallery for creepy shows.  I'd like to see the Dick Van Dyke show redone.  Well, I guess that'd be difficult.  Maybe Flying Nun; Sally Fields is still hot.  Ozzie and Harriett, with Ozzy Osbourne and... ok, no.  Soupy Sales, and Dobie Gillis.  Petticoat Junction.  Dragnet.  The first Bill Cosby Show.  Green Acres, if they have Orville on.  Man From U.N.C.L.E. if they'd get Ilya to leave NCIS.  Star Trek; heck, Shatner would probably still play himself.  Combat.  My Favorite Martian.

Ace; I could do without Hazel.
Ring bells for service.

Ace

I gotta say, I'm not a Fred Savage fan.  Although he was funny playing himself against Cosmo when Kramer tried to give him that script on Seinfeld. I was thinking 60's, mostly.  I'm amazed by how many people were smoking cigarrettes on TV, back then. I bet Ricky Nelson and the Beave probably lit up in a few episodes.

I remember Regis Philbin appearing on the Joey Bishop show.  He annoyed me, back then.  Howdy Doody always creeped me out...  I did enjoy Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo, though.  Sarge Preston was a'ight.  Heck, so was Dudley Doright. 

Ace: "One Step Beyond"
Ring bells for service.

Bill

You know, in retrospect, remeberances of Howdy generate memories of the animated doll in the horror movie(s).  Not that I can the names though.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Ace

"He better not have, except when the plane crashed..."  Geez Louise, J, that is sick.  Funny though. 

I'd recommend Sin City as the best dang black noir dark film of, well for awhile.  If you're renting and haven't seen it.  I don't go out, so don't know what's "current" that might work.  I'm thinking "Horton Heard a Who" isn't that dark. 

I have this image of Buffalo Bill riding the range, shooting buffalo, with his sidekick Buffalo Bob shooting mostly rocks and Bill's horse...

Ace; clowns are scary. Lambchop wasn't as frightening.
Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Blah. My wife and I watched about the first 10 to 12 minutes of The Departed, and we finally gave up in disgust. Those first few minutes were plastered with foul language. It was very difficult to watch even that much, thanks to the gratuitous amount of F words and such.

I mailed the movie back to Netflix this morning so that the next poor sucker in line can rent it.

I'm at a loss as to why movie-makers feel they have to fill up their movies with cursing, sex, garbage, etc.

Scuzzy; &#(#@ stupid @%^#! movie.

Ace

I guess I'm not put off by foul language, having played golf with myself.  I thought there were some clever foul twists of tongue.  Really bitey bits.

If I had to choose between obscenities, profanities, and general vulgarity, I'd probably choose the ladder.

No, not "the latter."  The ladder.  Then, if I either miss a step, or can't reach whatever it is I climbed up there to, or somehow inflict pain on my person (and then miss the step, after) I'm sure I can come up with the Sailor's Combo. 

Ace; "Blah" is a four letter word.
Ring bells for service.

pat

I guess I'm guilty of talking like a sailor once in a while myself. I do wonder, not ever being a sailor myself, how or why using profanity is associated with being a sailor?

Bill

Because it's and they're salty.

Bill

Ace

I guess it beats sweet and sour...

Ace; unless you're a little tart.
Ring bells for service.