• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Global Unwarming

Started by Whizbang, January 14, 2007, 13:30 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Whizbang

OK, that is just to get your attention.  I picked that headline after doing some research of CO2 ppm's from NOAA data over the last 5 years from Mauna Loa observatory in Hawaii.  Everyone who is anybody knows that the only serious research and observation that can be done about anything is in Hawaii.  ;D  The CO2 levels have increased about 2.9% during that time.  That does indeed sound alarming until you realize that the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is only .0032% of everything you breathe.  That is translated as going from .0031% to .0032% of the total percentage of the atmosphere during the five year period.

I said before that global warming has been proven to be a reality; it is the reason for the warming that has escaped scientific analysis.  I am making a really dumb prediction that global warming is now reaching the upper limit and will decrease and begin to abate this year.  I refuse to divulge my sources, but I do stand behind my conclusions and stand ready to receive the rotten tomato barrage from those who prove me wrong.  Rotten spuds and jalapeÃ?±os are also acceptable.

Ace

Geez Aloha Louise; can't anybody poast a stupid poast without it becoming a food poast??!  Anyway, the recipe poast about Scuzzy's meat balls and being a seven layer dip is down the room to the left.

I guess if warming continues they'll be fried rotten green tomatoes, but otherwise room temp.  Of course, the room could heat up.  Anyway, I'm thinking the trees are pretty psyched about that CO2 influx.  It'd be like free oxygen for the rest of us, instead of having to carry around one of those little tanks.

I've heard the human body can sense a 3 degree change, so I hope it doesn't slip like .0032 percent or something and I won't even notice.  I tell ya though, in the magical extended Fall of Michiana it still hasn't snowed for a couple months.  If you saw the Bear's game it's like that, only just damp and there aren't any bears.

Ace; it's been awhile since there was a bear around here.  I'm killing the ones I find in Oblivion.
Ring bells for service.

Bill

"Geez Aloha Louise; can't anybody poast a stupid poast without it becoming a food poast??!"

Yes, smart poasts generally aren't.

Bill
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

halokid

double post accident lol

halokid

Sun cycles = majority of warming the globe.....
Sorry mankind  cant take credit on that one....ill  say IMO  because nothing is absolute ;)

but the Juries still out on how much the pollutants we pump out all the time effect the enviroment aside from temperature...these kinds of effects make me more worried.

Im not to sure Whiz that you're prediction will happen but if it does, it will  most likely be masked by the true Global cake baker , the sun.

If anybody has any opposing ideas for the sun not being the big reason for Global warming,  id like to hear them to what they have to say.

I feel that the sun  is  mostly to blame... but my philosophy has always been , why take  any unnecessary risks?

Im not to sure that the Global warming agenda really belongs to the earthers so to speak ...I  think it might  truly belongs to the devide and conqurers. As a tool for policy .. perhaps not even related  to the environment....and thats my prediction lol

What ever the man:sun ratio for affecting the temps are
im guessing its hard to differentiate from the two.

that would  be interesting(probably a good thing)  two see  un global warming  though i am reluctant to see monster truck suv driving people toot their  horn about it. They still take up two parking spaces! .

Halokid: I bearly have the bear necessities to run Oblivion,
but i manage

Ace

Well, let me be the first to congratulate Whiz on causing Global Cooling. 

We were having a delightful Little Boy (El Nino) Winter until he went and poasted this theory that things were gonna cool off and the End Is Near and MaHrk might o.d. on CO2 as a tree and
Lo and Behold
wet rain turned to hard rain (gonna fall) and now Lake Effect Snow and the usual new year crud.  Cold and cruddy.  Stupid cruddy cold crud.

Cripes.  And Halo didn't help with his solar flare about the sun being the cause of the earth being warm.  This thing is like the S.I. jinx; once you say "global warming is going to ...." the trees pick up on it and pass it on and then things take a turn for the worse. 

In the interest of moderation in all things, I should like to see a retraction along the lines of "We are terribly sorry for the adverse reaction the weather had in response to our recent editorial "Global Warming; what is it good for?" and regret our mistake.  Instead, we have now decided a warm globe is a happy globe and sincerely hope that Winter in Magical Mystical Snow Encrusted Michiana will heat up soon so as its denizens may once again curl their toes up in balmy breezes and the warming rays of the sleeping sun as soon as we wake it back up."  Something along those lines.

Thank you.  Hopefully today, or at least before tomorrow.  Thanks.

Ace; rays raise the temperature.  Hurry.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

We have experienced the coldest and wettest January since 1988.  From March of that year onward, the drought began to intensify.  The well is now beginning to recoup losses, albeit slowly.  Water level is about one foot higher and clear.  That means that the water table is filling and that the well is not simply getting runoff.  Over 10" of rain have fallen this January, and the days are cold enough to minimize evaporation of the surface moisture.  The pond has finally filled and is overflowing into the drainpipe that runs to the roadside ditch.  There are always annoyances to excessive rain, but I will take them. The water saturation is so great that the hydraulic cement on the walls of the carport bay has become ineffective and will need to be replaced with a new layer because the seapage keeps the carport covered with a thin water runoff on the hill side of the carport.  My daughter is having to park her truck in the driveway until I can get another layer of aggregate dumped in front of her carport because the turnaround is a quagmire that was never experienced until this wet period.  I will accept all of the "annoyances" without complaint because they are minor compared to drought and oppressive heat.

The daytime temperatures have not been extreme either but simply remain in the 50's or low 60's with nightime temperatures not dipping below the upper 20's.  That means that the fig tree is still thriving and will not kill back unless we receive several nights in succession in the low teens or single digits.  The Japanese persimmon also will sprout again, as will the Japanese plum trees.

Note the pattern of the Bermuda high pressure and follow its severity and meanderings.  The Bermuda high is the one most significant factor in determining global temperatures.  That high redirects Atlantic and gulf hurricanes, allows their intensification by blocking steering winds that would dissipate the heat buildup, and channels the gulf stream air toward Greenland, Europe, Scandinavia, and the Russian continent.  There has never been a year in recent memory in which that high pressure has been absent.  Were it not to exist at all, the westerly winds would keep the gulf swept free of stagnant hot air and would prevent the development of hurricanes by allowing frontal passage during the summer that would also keep the African westerly waves from intensifying and becoming hurricanes.  It is the redirected stagnant heat from central Africa and the Gulf of Mexico by the persistent Bermuda high that is the most significant contributor to Greenland and arctic melting.  And, yes, the sun is the source; and there are other lesser contributors; but the Bermuda high is the most intense magnifying glass.  The question I propose is, "What caused the persistent Bermuda high to intensify suddenly?" 

Ace

Well.  The Bermuda Triangle.  Duh.

And I'm still awaiting that retraction on the whole global cooling prophecy you guys placed. It's now cold, and snowy, and stupid here.  Supposed to hit below 10 degrees this weekend, although you have to realize our Storm Team Weather Team With our Super Doppler aim a week out and miss.

50 to 60 degrees is not cold, here.  And it figures you'd have a soggy drought down there.  I think the removal of the Parcells weather system from Texas might cool things down, too. 

The days are getting longer, if not colder.  When the sun is out you can feel more heat, but it hasn't, so we haven't.  Yes, removing trees would help increase sunlight and yes, Pat would be all for that, but that isn't the answer in the long run because we'd run out of paper.  Also, if you'd go get some good ol' American trees instead of those Japanese fruit plants maybe it'd help the economy here instead of in China.

Ace; winter annoys the heck out of me. 
Ring bells for service.

Bill

I always knew that Michiana had strange time zones, but what now?  Your days are 24 and a half hours?  How does that work?  You get to work longer or sleep longer? 

Bermuda High?  Wasn't that a Denver song, before he decided he could fly? 

And while we're on the subject, doesn't it just pique the persimmons that the crackerjack Weather Experts never apologize?

Moving Parcels back to the Southern Jersey coast will only intensify the effect.  Although the boardwalk businesses with be happy.

Bill; glad he's not a Charleston native.
Antec 3700 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz | 4 GB (4x1GB) DDR2 PC 5300 Kingston RAM | Antec NeoPower 550W | eVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128 bit PCI Express 2.0 | Intel SSD X25-M 80GB | VelociRaptor 150GB | WD 80GB 7200rpm |Samsung 22x SATA Burner |Windows 7 32-bit

Mark H

Quote from: Bill on January 23, 2007, 08:09 hrs
Bill; glad he's not a Charleston native.

Are you from Charleston, WV or Charleston, SC?

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

Charleston the Dance.

Yes, Michiana has longer Mondays so we can watch 24 and still have a half hour to get ready for bed.  Although it stinks that it's up against 2 1/2 men.

It'd be funny if T.O. moved in next door to Parcells...

Ace; funny like Murphy is funny.
Ring bells for service.

Whizbang

Quote from: halokid on January 14, 2007, 20:33 hrs

but the Juries still out on how much the pollutants we pump out all the time effect the environment aside from temperature...these kinds of effects make me more worried.
There was a volcanic eruption in the early part of the last century that was so intense that there was no summer,due to ashen skies hiding the rays of the sun; and there was actually snow in the northern US during the summer.  More pollutants are pumped into the air by volcanic eruptions than what man can generate in a year.  I do have one major complaint against potential polluting industries.  They often are far more willing to pay the fine for inexcusable pollution of air and water than take the much more profitable approach of cleaning up the act.  We have three papermills surrounding us at about twenty mile intervals.  The stench from the sludge ponds can be overwhelming, yet every mill pays the fine for polluting than simply adding hydrated lime to the water effluent to neutralize the sulfurous acid water.  Arkansas is one of the major suppliers of agricultural lime in the US, so that would be no problem to address.  State politicians just turn the other way and take the cash rather than address the problem, which has a relatively easy solution.  Arkansas is a heavily Democrat state that just had a Republican governor, so the issue is not party oriented.  I must add hydrated lime to my pond every year to de-acidify the water from acid rain.

Bill

Whiz,
Do you use the pond water for something?  Garden irragation wateing keeping the plants alive?

Bill; I'm from NJ.

Whizbang

Quote from: Bill on January 24, 2007, 07:12 hrs
Whiz,
Do you use the pond water for something?  Garden irragation wateing keeping the plants alive?

Bill; I'm from NJ.
I keep minnows in it to eat the mosquitoes, and have also put a few goldfish in it.  The pond was dug by the highway department to keep a spring from continually coming up through the asphalt highway that runs by our property.  The spring was dug on the fault along which other "springs have sprung" in the past.

halokid

In California it has been colder than usual during this time of year  where I live. The wether has totally messed with my Golf game, making the greens hard to read..some times there moist and the ball  doesnt roll very far.. other times its cold and dry and the ball rolls to far!

We'll see how this plays out with the weather system being colder than usual, I may stick to bowling for now ;D

Ace

"Oh, this terrible cool winter weather has negatively affected my golf game..."  wah wah wine and cheese.

Geez Criminy Louise, what I wouldn't give to play golf, now.  We've got stinking fluffy lake effect white dumping.  And here you are in Sunny California where the greens are illegible.  The only thing green here is the walls in my den.  Well, that one tooth but I got the broccoli out finally.

But dang Halo don't resort to bowling... don't go down that slippery boardwalk.  Stick with the golf; the fresh air.  The freedom.  Bowling is a confined goofy mess where the balls are heavy and the shoes are smelly.  And the stupid scoring; you have to get extra credit just to get a decent score, and wind up knocking down more pins than the 100 you face.  That's just impossible.  Do golf, where the more chances you get the higher your score, so the happier you should be. 

Well, actually, I guess to do well in golf you do less... so the perfect golf game would be not.. hitting...the...ball...at...all....  Well.  I guess I just perfected golf.  Good for me.

Still, I'd relish golf-friendly weather.  I wouldn't care if the greens were in another language, just to be able to go out and not have to brush something off to see it.

Ace; if I had a pond it'd be for hockey, now.

Ring bells for service.

trav

Its not real. Some crap made up by the governments just like the ice age in the 70's (which, when that failed, they brought out the global warming thing.) Big scam. I agree with Halokid about the sun cycles, thats what it mostly is. Besides, earth is made up of about 70% water, which by the way is apparently depleting (it can't! Water depletes by evaporating, but that's part of the water cycle, so it isn't possible!)
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Whizbang

Point Barrow and Anchorage just experienced record snowfalls and the winter has just begun.  Greenland also was pounded with a huge snowstrom this last week.

trav

Quote from: Whizbang on January 27, 2007, 18:42 hrs
Point Barrow and Anchorage just experienced record snowfalls and the winter has just begun.  Greenland also was pounded with a huge snowstrom this last week.

See? That just further proves my point.
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

Whizbang

Quote from: trav on January 27, 2007, 20:09 hrs
Quote from: Whizbang on January 27, 2007, 18:42 hrs
Point Barrow and Anchorage just experienced record snowfalls and the winter has just begun.  Greenland also was pounded with a huge snowstorm this last week.

See? That just further proves my point.
Like I said; the sun provides the heat; but stagnant high pressures provide the magnifying glasses.  The reason that "scientists" point the finger at CO2 emission is that there are no known other potential variables offered.  The problem has always been that the CO2 accumulations in no way could be considered significant, based on any observations.  I put the word "scientist" in quotes because modern science has often degenerated into hypotheses based on hypotheses.  The word science means knowledge or facts.  To put forth any theory, one must first collaborate it with facts that do not contradict themselves.  The theory is usually preceded by a hypothesis that is based on an idea that seems to have merit but which is not yet found to be supported by all evidence.  Once contradictory evidence is either disproved or explained, the hypothesis is then proposed very tentatively as theory.  If one wants to argue that CO2 is the basic factor, then he must also show how it is able to cause the stagnation of air currents.  Quite the opposite has shown to be true, and that is that stagnation causes CO2 accumulation due to atmospheric capping that traps pollutants.  It is the reason for those powerful high pressure areas that defy any current scientific understanding, so far; and no one has even addressed the cause.

The current stagnation problem was predicted very accurately almost 2000 years ago, and I have never seen anyone else attribute that reference to the current events.  I will give you a hint, rather than start a firestorm of protest.  The sun was predicted to begin disappearing behind a thick overcast before it set, and the rising moon was predicted begin to appear to be red as it is when viewed through smog.

Whizbang

The weather here has been ideal for ground water recovery.  Just when the ground became saturated and could not contain anymore moisture, the rain subsided a bit; and the weather is allowing the top moisture to penetrate the subsoil.  The squishy sound still can be heard under foot, but the puddles have almost disappeared.  Temperatures have been in the mid 20's to low 30's at night and the high 40's to low 50's during the day.  The cloud cover keeps the humidity high and prevents moisture evaporation, allowing more ground penetration.  This is the coldest January in years and will help to fight the fireant invasion for the first time in many years.  The well has recovered by about one foot or so with no surface water discoloration, a first.  That means that water has reached the water table and has been filtered in the process.  Surface water makes the well water brown and very bitter, a warning not to drink it without boiling first.

Carskick

The amount of CO2 produced by humans approaches negligible compared to that of nature. Also, our "damaging" effects to the ozone layer are a weak argument as well. Ozone is created by the sun, and the more Ozone is broken down, the more is made, so it stays constant if all other factors due. The only reason it doesn't stay constant is due to other changes, ie in the sun, temperatures, chemical makeups, etc. CFCs may not be great to have in our air, but their effects on the Ozone layer are negligible, as it is a self healing system. For the most part, the world is setup for self healing, which is why it is so forgiving to man endeavors. Yes, we should try to be as clean and efficient as possible, but the end of the world theories are most likely wrong IMHO.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Ace

I too side with the theories that the whole global warming icecap melting growing ozone hole strange weather shifts (Europe freezing...) are bunk and bogus and the predicted catastrophes on the slide down that slippery glacial slope are "most likely wrong."  I should now also like to run for president of the World Organization of Wishful Thinking.  (Woowt).

Next I should like to pull a baked rabbit out of my hat and move onto The Holocaust Hoax, Elvis and Jimmy Hoffa are Both Alive Theorem, the Paula Abdul is Just Acting Silly hypothesis and Victory In Iraq Plan by Sending More Troops To Get Out Quicker.  Plan.

And then see if I can invest in beachfront property... in Pennsylvania. Or Nevada.  Probably same difference, and inside of J's 90 year countdown anyway.

Ace; and when the bottom falls out, or icecube drops, we can "blame the sun."
Ring bells for service.

halokid

Quote from: JA on January 31, 2007, 14:32 hrs
:o
I give us 90 years, just on general humanity insanity issues alone.
What is your take on that assertion?

hmmm well 90 years from now, That all depends..
I have done intensive research(1-2 minutes)
and have amazingly  within those 2 whole minutes discovered
that humans produece NuclearWar Desire Algarythms in human brain frequencies when thinking about Boy-bands .. So if the populatiion is to continune onward.. we must rid ourselves of boy bands forever!!!!!!! Save our Earth... Destroy a Boy Band

Whizbang

Quote from: Carskick on January 31, 2007, 14:13 hrs
For the most part, the world is setup for self healing, which is why it is so forgiving to man endeavors. Yes, we should try to be as clean and efficient as possible, but the end of the world theories are most likely wrong IMHO.
The theory that a warmer world caused by the breakdown of the ozone layer and increase in CO2 also does not mention that thunderstorms are big contributors to ozone buildup and that the more violent the storm, the higher it rises and the more readily available the created ozone is to replenish the "ozone" layer.  I can easily remember that "scientists" were saying in the 1950's that we were headed for "another ice age."  Now, they can't have it both ways.  I would in no way dismiss careful analytical thought.  But let me be blunt.  If you believe in an infinitely superior being who exercised the unbelievable genius to put all of the known universe together in whatever way you might argue, then you must also agree that He also was aware of all the stupid things man would do to destroy all of it and compensated in the overall plan to allow for that stupidity.  Regardless of whether you do or do not take that position, there is no remotely tenable hypothesis that should not be considered.  The real alarmists, however, want us to act on whatever new idea comes through their heads before there is  any scientific validity.  They follow with the statement, "We must act now before it is too late."  Fine, just drop an enormous low pressure void into every stagnant high pressure and most atmospheric flow will become laminar and sweep the stored energy away before it becomes a threat.  Ridiculous?  Yup.

halokid

Ace.....

The Holocaust wasnt real ???? musta been a budget film code named
HOWLOWCaust.. because Hollywood Jewish filmakers have been known to underbudget there movies.

At least thats what it says in last months edition of WhitePointyHatTimes

halokid

I have heard theories on chem trails from airplanes causing cloud formation

Ace

Dangit, Halo, slow down willya...  You're double dipping again, and post-poasting.  You've got to give people a chance to respond.  I guess the only Boy Bands I like are ZZTop and the Strokes.  Good old boys, for the first.  And I always thought there was something fishy about Lance Bass.

Look, if there was a movie about the planned extermination of a race they could always get Mel Gibson to direct...  And, no, it really isn't appropriate to light a cross in your yard, or someone else's. And especially not keep the dang thing up this long after Christmas.  What is wrong with people who don't take down their stupid decorations...

I believe in free (not "cheap") will, and that actually problems that happen that could be caused by people are.  And that there isn't necessarily a Deus Ex Machina to roll out the safety net if we push things too far.  I mean, either we have the capability or we don't.  And yes, con trails can form clouds.  Thin, vapory temporary ones, right behind the plane.  For awhile. 

I am planning, once elected, to pool together the Greatest Scientific Minds Known to Us to figure a path toward climactic absolution and really nice weather, without getting out of control. 

Ace; calling "Teen Girl Squad"... Woo(w)t.
Ring bells for service.

Mark H

This week the daily highs in my area were not above 30 degrees with one exception in which it was 35 degrees. The normal high is 42 this time of year. We are now going to have single digits for a low two nights this week and the next 7 days are under 20 degrees for a low. This is colder than normal, so I say it is unwarming here.
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Ace

Michiana (magical, mystical, malevolent) will have highs in the single digits this weekend.  There was a squirrel, and a cardinal, outside looking for peanuts.  I can't slide the patio door open, though, as it's condensated and frozen to the frame, inside.  There's a chance the cardinal may be frozen to that branch...

We may have highs in the upper 60's tomorrow, for the SuperBowl, if I turn on that electric faux fireplace ahead of time downstairs.

I am going to venture out to Martin's for groceries, and mail a couple checks. I hope my car window rolls down, so to be able to shove my arm out at the drop box and not have to leave the vehicle.  It is "colder than a well digger's clavicle" as my father used to say.

Ace; colder than one of those on a Witch, too.
Ring bells for service.