• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

2 hdd's, 2 os's

Started by nooyawkah, March 02, 2003, 12:01 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

nooyawkah

Let's say I use a 40GB (NTFS) hdd as my primary, using WIN XP. This is what I have now. Then I install a 60GB secondary drive for the purpose of a data backup using Ghost 2003. Can I use it as 41GB NTFS with no OS for the backup and 19GB (not sure if NTFS or FAT 32) for Linux?

If I can, here's what I'd like to do. I'd like the computer to boot up automatically into Windows on the primary drive. I would not like to have to make a choice each time I boot up and would only like to use the secondary drive when I choose to. How do I do this?

If I can split the 69GB drive, can Linux be "D"? Do I name the 41GB with a letter, or does it technically not exist until I clone the first drive onto it?

If this sounds confusing it's because "I AM."
These are the instructions that came with my Thermalright SLK-800 cooler:
Assembly: A strammer contact pressure develops, whereby a good waermeaufnahme is ensured. Although the additionally existing PU Schaumpads provides for a safe seat on the processor, the PC should very carefully be transported

query

How you do this depends on what you're willing to purchase, and on how your system operates.

By default, the way to dual-boot Linux and Windows is to install a Linux boot loaded (lilo or grub) on the master drive in the system.   You can configure it to boot into either OS you wish, and you can install Linux on a second drive.

If you want to be able to boot Linux entirely from the slave drive, you'll need two things - a BIOS that allows a boot from a slave drive (not all do, but most newer systems allow this), and something like Boot Magic to hide the inactive operating system while the other one boots and runs.

Boot Magic comes with Partition Magic;  vcom has a competing utility called Partition Commander that allows the same thing.

Neon

Boot menus can be configured to choose Windows as the default OS. It will select the default and start a countdown that boots to the default unless you interrupt the countdown with another choice. The countdown length can also be configured.

Linux does not run on NTFS or DOS, so it's partitions don't show up in Windows. To see them, you need to use Samba or a special utility. Look at Linux-Windows file access.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

nooyawkah

The problem is I have my 60GD hdd on its way to Maxtor for replacement and am using the 40GB. What about this idea:

When the 60GB returns, how about I clone a copy of the 40 to the 60 with Ghost and then make THAT ONE the primary. I could then set 4oGB of the 60 for win xp and leave the other 20 for Linux (I have Mandrake 8 on disk). Then I could reformat the 40GB and make it a secondary hdd for data via Ghost. Does that sound better?

These are the instructions that came with my Thermalright SLK-800 cooler:
Assembly: A strammer contact pressure develops, whereby a good waermeaufnahme is ensured. Although the additionally existing PU Schaumpads provides for a safe seat on the processor, the PC should very carefully be transported

query

That should work - just make sure Mandrake 8 can work with an installation of Linux that goes beyond the 1023rd cylinder (i.e., beyond 8 GBytes).  9 can, and 8 should be able to, but check anyway.