• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, November 16, 2000, 10:18 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Carol, have you tried reseating the modem. Modems have a way of working their way out of the socket guess cause thier busy a lot.

Joanie

scuzzy

Carol, I'd remove the modem drivers through Device Manager and restart the computer. Then I'd run scandisk, defrag, then restart the computer again. Then, I'd reinstall the drivers. Reseating the modem card as Joanie suggested is also a good idea.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Carol

Thanks for the help.  I will try this later. Haven't looked through the stuff that came with the computer in a while.  And actually I think this might be a different modem than came with the machine.  My Dad changed a couple of them for us.  If I don't have the drivers is there a way to just save the drivers on a floppy.  Or should I go to the Rockwell site and see if I can find them.  You know I have such good luck with drivers!!
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

Carol

Ok, I thought it was time to put you guys to work.  This is on my son's computer.  Yesterday he was trying to get his email and everytime he tried to dial into the ISP the computer would freeze.  It sounds like the modem clicks on and then the freeze.  I thought maybe it was the program for the ISP so I went to control panel and modems and diagnostics, highlighted the modem and clicked on more info to see if it would work. And it made the computer freeze at that point too.  Type of modem:  Rockwell HCF 56K speakerphone PCI.  That is how it is listed in device manager.  Any ideas.  Does this mean maybe the modem has gone bad?  Thanks for any help.

Carol
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck