• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by query, March 31, 2001, 03:57 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

query

I don't know of a freely-available DVD player for Windows2000 - most products, whether outright commercial or upgrades to DVD support for older systems, are not freeware.

You can try one of the commercial programs like PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc. - they're not all that expensive and should do the job.

jhyland9

Thanks for the thought.  What I think I really need is the driver.  I've installed the win98 luxsonor driver that came with my quantex.  Windows 2000 includes its own dvd player.  However with the win98 driver, I get the video, but no sound.

I believe that other poasters may have suggestions.  Thanks.

n/a

Hi, Jonathan,

Do you mean the links to MCE's driver downloads were broken? I couldn't bring them up either.

You might try emailing John and Wesley at support@mcecomputers.com, though they may not be available over the weekend. If you have ICQ or AOL IM you might check their member profile and contact them that way.

Have you tried Andreas' DVD help at http://www.idealpcsystems.com/?

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.jpg" border=0>

--Bear

query

Windows98 DVD drivers generally will not work with Windows2000 or ME - the drivers are OS-specific.  

As far as drivers, Windows simply treats a DVD drive as a CD-ROM drive.  It's the DVD decoding software that does the job of allowing you to play DVD video and audio - not the operating system.  The drive-specific driver should be a part of the DVD software - not the OS.

jhyland9

Sorry, if I sound a little frustrated.  My DVD worked fine when I was running win98.  Now that I've upgraded to W2K, I need a driver for the DVD decoding.  Last December I was informed that one was not available yet, but someone was working on one.  My drive works fine with CDs.  When I put a DVD in the drive I get a message that no decoding device is available.  I know that I need some decoding device/driver for the DVD to work.  Since, I do not have one for W2K, I thought I'd try to use the one for Win98 (luxsonor) that was included with the driver disk with my quantex laptop.  Once that was installed and I put in a DVD, the W2K DVD player would start and would play the disk.  The picture and controls were fine.  But there was no audio.  I'm pretty sure this is because the Win98 driver was not written to work with W2K (I wouldn't expect it to be).

So what I think I need is the software driver/decoder for my DVD drive that is written to work with W2K.  Does anyone know if one exists?  Mine is a quantex laptop TS30I.

I saw other posts with a link to the mediamatics player at mcecom, but the link was broken.  I'm not sure that's what I need anyway.

Thanks for the help.

jhyland9

I've searched the past messages on this group and all the links are broken.  I need the drivers and also the player.  Thanks for your help.