• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

John Davis - Rest in Peace

Started by scuzzy, October 14, 2003, 19:25 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

It is with my deepest regret and sympathy to inform everyone that John Davis is no longer with us. He passed away on September 24th, 2003. I received the news from his wife earlier today. John was having heart problems and he elected to have a heart transplant. I do not know all the details, but suffice it to say that he did not survive.

John joined Poasters on November 14, 2000, and had over 1,600 poasts. Anyone who knew John knows that the majority of his poasts was spent helping people he never knew. Because of his love of Poasters, as well as his dedication to wanting to help others, we quickly offered him a Moderator position. Fortunately for us he accepted.

John embodied the Poasters ideal. People who want to help others simply because they can; never asking for anything in return. We will sorely miss him, but he will remain a moderator of this forum as long as Poasters exists. His account will remain open with 1,686 poasts to date.

Here's a sampling of John's poasts: Click here

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Mark H

I wish his family well in their loss and regret that I never had the opportunity to converse with him in this great forum.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Whizbang

The true evidence of one's character is his willingness to help others.  His contribution speaks for itself.

trav

that is so sad! :'( I liked Jhon! He was always helpfull when help was needed :'( :'( I (as well as many other poasters) will miss him very much! I wish his family the best of luck :) He was a very friendly mod - I think im going to CRY! :'(  :'( :'( :'( His memory, in Poasters will live on :)
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

pat

Thanks for putting this up for John. Even though I?m sure John would think it?s too much.
But that was John, always there to help out, never asking anything in return. I?m still at a loss for words, but am comforted by the fact I have you folks here to share the loss with.

How often do you meet a person who you can truly say enriched your life just by knowing them?
I will miss you my friend, rest in peace.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

scuzzy

You're right, Pat. John would probably think this is too much. You're also right that he never asked for anything in return.

I looked back at some of his poasts and was amazed at the extent that he went through to help others. He was indeed a special person.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

pat

Yeah, I can remember John coming up with answers to some of the most poorly worded questions. He just never gave up.

On another note I did inquire as if John had a favorite charity or if there was a memorial in his name. If I hear back I will poast that here.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Karen

I am deeply saddened to hear of John's passing.  You will be greatly missed, John.

My condolences and best wishes to John's family.

Peace be with you.  Rest easy, my friend.

Karen
I'm at that awkward stage...somewhere between the young and the restless, and the old and the senseless.   ;)

Neon

This is indeed the saddest event to befall Poasters Computer Forums. John was at the heart of our core of superb moderators, and he regularly demonstrated those ideals that Poasters is known for - patience, knowledge, and a selfless willingness to help others. Obviously, many people benefitted from John's problem-solving and technical abilities. In watching John work through problems, I learned new things from him, and added some of his explanations to my stock of answers. He set a great example, and I will miss him.
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Chandler

This is indeed very sad news.  John has been a Poaster for as long as I can remember and never had a bad word to say to anyone.

We'll miss you.  Rest in peace,

Chris

Carol

I, too, am at a loss for words, and very saddened by this loss.  There will be a large hole in Poasters without John.  And a larger hole left in a world that lost a caring, giving person.  John helped so many here, and he will be greatly missed.

My sympathy goes out to his family.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  

Carol
It is never too soon to do a kindness, for one never knows how soon it will be too late.

When I stand before God at the end of my life. I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, I used everything you gave me.--Erma Bombeck

iansl

And he gave very good advice, too...:,(
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

yokosi

Sorry to hear about this awful tragedy. My condolences and best wishes to John's family and friends.  Rest in peace John :(
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

JimS

I?m very sorry to learn that we?ve lost John.  As others have already attested, he was always there, always helpful, and always professional.  He helped me numerous times; it was always a good feeling, when checking in on a poast, to see that John had responded.

The last time I communicated with John was in a poast where a ?youngster? was looking for a way to connect to his/her mother?s cable modem without her knowing.  After discussing the technical issues of how this could or could not be done, John suggested that this person might consider rethinking what he/she wanted to do.  John?s response resulted in someone else stating that they didn?t feel it was right for John to pass judgment; he should just provided the info and left it at that.  At this point I jumped into the discussion, sticking up for John and giving these two kids what-for in what could most charitably be described as a rant (which I later went back and edited most of it out...).  Throughout this, I must say that John responded far more calmly and rationally than I was able to.  A true professional, John was.

One last time, John, thanks for all of your help.  I?m going to miss your ?mad computer? graphic thingy; it?s the best!  May God bless you always.
"I shall pass through this world but once.  Any good I can do, or any kindness that I can show any human being, let me do it now and not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- Stephen Grellet

Hoot

My condolences to his wife, and family, and to you the staff of poasters, who have known him. This must be a very tough loss for all of you. I sense how important he was to this forum. Someone like that who is selfless and caring about helping others in a hobby that he dearly loves is commendable to say the least. Someone like that passes, but thier spirit never truely leaves you - and... it will never truely leave your forum as you remember him. I wish I had been around to know him ;) sounds like he was a superb person and good friend. May his spirit live on in your forum.

scuzzy

Thanks for your thoughts, Hoot. And welcome to our forum.

John was indeed special, and a very important part of this forum. We knew it when he was with us, and are more keenly aware of it now.

Tranquility_Base

I am sorry to hear of this terrible loss to his family and to all of u guys here who knew him. I'm also new to these forums, but I do sense how important John was to all of you here.
My sincerest condolences, and may he rest in peace.
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".
This still cant stop the heartache I feel for his loved ones.

trav

Quote from: Tranquility_Base on November 08, 2003, 18:00 hrs
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened".

How true :'( I feel so bad for his family
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

whateverjames

I'm not much of an active member on here, but that's sad to hear about John.  I looked through his posts and he seemed like a very helpful guy.

Hoot

Made me think about a few people I have seen pass on including my own father. They may go, but alot of what we knew about them, and thier stories stay with us forever - and when I looked at his posts. I saw a selfless guy who simply enjoyed computers and helping others, and it made me come full circle and get back to the basics in a way and understand that computing is for everyone not just the technically advanced.

I get more satisfaction here locally teaching older and homeless people PC skills through goodwill than I ever did on any forum - because what little I do teach them thay actually have used to move ahead with thier lives and were truely thankful.

For them, it opens up doors that they thought would never be open. For them I simplify Word, Excel, Basic PC lingo, CD burning, Backup, and basic troubleshooting if they care to learn. It's a win/win situation for both - and...my Father was a big supporter of Goodwill and Boys Rach (for orphans).

Many of the best people we love pass on it seems. But one day you have to step out into the sun and admire those types for thier selflessness, and emulate the best you can to also be selfless and help others, and not be above others, but strive to help others gain confidence in something you are good at.  John apparently did this here. And for that he should always be remembered for it, as it is a most noble human trait. And yet they perish, and we must carry on and so the same out of respect and admiration.

trav

Quote from: Hoot on December 30, 2003, 00:10 hrs
Many of the best people we love pass on it seems. But one day you have to step out into the sun and admire those types for thier selflessness, and emulate the best you can to also be selfless and help others, and not be above others, but strive to help others gain confidence in something you are good at.  John apparently did this here. And for that he should always be remembered for it, as it is a most noble human trait. And yet they perish, and we must carry on and so the same out of respect and admiration.

...how true.... :)

Nestor

I'll start right out by saying that I don't think I ever knew him, whether or not he helped me. But I've seen both friends and family into the ground, alot of which has happened this past year.
I've never really thought about what kind of contribution I could make (most often I'm a little too rash and cold) but seeing this thread and the raw impact he made on this forum opens up the idea that maybe a legacy isn't such a bad thing.
I think that I'd like to be remembered that way. I want to make just as positive a contribution, if not more so.

I hope he didn't suffer, and my sincerest condolences.
AMD 3200+ KT-6 Delta, 120GB WD HDD, 160GB WD HDD, (4) 300GB Seagate SATA HDD NVidia 6800FX (256MB) 1GB PC3200 Mushkin RAM

Bubba

We never seem to understand that death is part of life, mostly when it involves those who are close, this is a unique arena we are in here at poasters, we are strangers who may never meet, but at the same time we enjoy the friendship of each other.  Loss  is a bitter pill, but it will go down,

Farewell John,,,,,

for the loved ones he leaves behind, for now, his passing will bring a tear, but your memories of him will bring a smile, that will bring you peace.

greg
Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Gracie

um, I wondered why  he had not been posting, I missed seeing his  animated graphic and just supposed he had moved away.  You are all a special bunch you know. What would the rest of us do without Poasters?  There is the same selfless spirit of John in all of you, through you he lives on.
Gracie :)

MatW

I'm new to poasters but i do understand what it is to lose someone important. And based on what you all wrote about John I can tell he was much loved here in this forum. My condolences to his family and may he rest with the Lord.
http://www.iwebmasters.com
- iWebmasters.com is a programmer and design staff leasing company specializing in high quality, low-priced, real-time, full-service ongoing programming and design help. We recruit and manage your designers and developers so you can focus on strategy and growth.

Englishman

I read this thread with great sadness. Although I did not know John, I knew of him. I saw some of the work he did here. He came across as an articulate, generous and intelligent man.

My sincere condolences.

Rest in peace.