• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by Joanie, April 13, 2001, 17:22 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

Hi LeeAnne,

Congrtulations, you sure know how to deal. You will probably want to keep your Altec Lansing speakers. My new Puter came with Poke speakers and they cannot compare to the AL's so I kept the Altec Lansing.

Your going to have a very nice system when you get it all together.

Good Luck and please keep us poasted.

Joanie

http://www.poasters.com/images/rahrahsm.gif  " border=0>

BostonLee

Hi Joanie, thanks . . . let me ask you this - since I"ve always wanted to know . . . why is this the "poasters" forum instead of the "Posters" forum?

Thanks!

LeeAnne

Ace

Why is it "Poasters" and not "Posters"...

hmm.

This calls for the English Major. Well, not like the English Patient, I mean, or like a Major who's English.. I mean.. criminy.

It's "toast" and not "tost", and "roast" rather than "rost." That's an idle "boast" and not "bost." Joanie and Pete are on the Coast, and not "cost."

But moastly it's because we figured promoating our mispellings would help us stand out in the flotsam and Jetsons that is the web.

"Poast" became a claim to fame, and badge of Courage. To Poast became a singular event; particularly back in the days I'd spend more time and effort in the chatroom than my job. Dangit. I miss that job now.

So; one is in honored company to Poast in this Poasters(') Computer Forum. Or foarum; whatever.

We all grew up (notice, I didn't say "matured") in a one room chatroom; and now look at this place. Surprised they haven't added on a deck, yet. Or a foyer.

Poast with honor; Poast with conviction; Poast to pass on the lineage of our Poasting ancestors to a new generation of Poasters!

Joanie! A Cheer, Please! P-O-A-S-T! Look What Poasting's Done For Me! Yay! Poasters!

Fight-Fight-Fight!

HOLD it, hold onaminute... geez. That's been the other thing we do periodically.. shoot. Ok; Poast in Peace! Yeah.

You know, now that I think of it, I think Bear mispelled it and everybody was too lazy to fix it. I think that might've been it. Or it was in a monkey joke or blonde one, and we were too ignorant to notice. Something like that; don't have spell check on the web.

Whatever.

Ace; One of the Old Ones. Nobody knows why.http://www.poasters.com/images/ace.gif" border=0>

Ring bells for service.

BostonLee

quote:

Why is it "Poasters" and not "Posters"...

hmm.

This calls for the English Major. Well, not like the English Patient, I mean, or like a Major who's English.. I mean.. criminy.

It's "toast" and not "tost", and "roast" rather than "rost." That's an idle "boast" and not "bost." Joanie and Pete are on the Coast, and not "cost."

But moastly it's because we figured promoating our mispellings would help us stand out in the flotsam and Jetsons that is the web.

"Poast" became a claim to fame, and badge of Courage. To Poast became a singular event; particularly back in the days I'd spend more time and effort in the chatroom than my job. Dangit. I miss that job now.

So; one is in honored company to Poast in this Poasters(') Computer Forum. Or foarum; whatever.

We all grew up (notice, I didn't say "matured") in a one room chatroom; and now look at this place. Surprised they haven't added on a deck, yet. Or a foyer.

Poast with honor; Poast with conviction; Poast to pass on the lineage of our Poasting ancestors to a new generation of Poasters!

Joanie! A Cheer, Please! P-O-A-S-T! Look What Poasting's Done For Me! Yay! Poasters!

Fight-Fight-Fight!

HOLD it, hold onaminute... geez. That's been the other thing we do periodically.. shoot. Ok; Poast in Peace! Yeah.

You know, now that I think of it, I think Bear mispelled it and everybody was too lazy to fix it. I think that might've been it. Or it was in a monkey joke or blonde one, and we were too ignorant to notice. Something like that; don't have spell check on the web.

Whatever.

Ace; One of the Old Ones. Nobody knows why.http://www.poasters.com/images/ace.gif" border=0>

BostonLee

OK, let me try this again . .

Ace . . . for all of the reasons you mentioned -- that's what I figured -- I thank you for your poasting to clear that up for me.

LeeAnne

Joanie

Morning LeeAnne,

In case you didn't get any of that from our Ace Jester the "Poast" started way back when Bear misspelled the real "Post" by typing "Poast" and Ace being the best speller in the house (even better that the human dictionary Scuzzy)picked up on it. We all started teasing him and started using Poast in all messages. Soon it became our trademark and if anybody misspelled "Poast" and typed "Post" it became a BIG sin and the punishment was a pomppom bashing.

There may be other versions so don't be surprised if you hear from some of the others. No matter what the version we are all Poasters and proud of it.

Thanks for being a Poaster. You automatically become one when you type the word or ask "How" did it all happen, (I just made that up).

Joanie

BostonLee

Hi,

Yeah, I got Ace's explanation, but I don't know why my first response to him just came out as a giant "quote" - I know I poasted words and got rid of the quote -- the computer must be tired

Ah, makin' it up as we go along, eh?  This is my kind of place

LeeAnne

Ace

Hey, don't apologize for just copying my poast. That's fine by me; I don't get enough air time here as it is. Usually I'm in the wrong stupid room reading something I shouldn't. I can use the coverage.

Hey Bear, shoot, I made that thing up about you causing Poasting to prevail. I didn't even remember how or who, and sure didn't think anybody'd back me up on anything. Dang. I can't believe I did that. Well, you did that. Heck, I knew it wasn't Scuzzy because he was still trying to remove the duct tape off his Dell's battery that day. Or maybe that was the chicken recipe thing.

I would think "poast" is better for haikus, too, since you could stretch an extra syllable outta it if you need to.

Hey, also, LeeAnne, see if you know anybody'd who'd give me $400 or $800 for my Quantex; it's in like new condition.

Well, considering it wouldn't even boot up when new, I guess that isn't saying much. It's a 233, and it's got a Voodoo Dood, and altecs, and a mouse pad with a wrist wrest.. hold it; that's mine. I'd trade this puppy in for $150 difference if I could get one of them P5's with the 80 gig hard drive and stuff too. Maybe my dang DiabloII barbarian wouldn't spaz out every 2 minutes and freeze while hacking something's head off, at least.

Ace: even when he told them what the name meant, they got it wrong.http://www.poasters.com/images/ace.gif" border=0>

Ring bells for service.

scuzzy

Forget whatever Ace said. Here's my version:

As for the spelling of "poast", you?d have to go way back to the original Quantex Chat. Some poor soul misspelled the word "post", and Ace got hold of it and never let it die. Somehow, we adopted the misspelling over the years, and we now proudly proclaim ourselves as Poasters. It identifies who we are, and where we came from. It?s also a reminder that we?re different, and we?re on a mission.

By the way, why is it spelled "Joanie" instead of "Jonie"?

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0>

Scuzzy
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

BostonLee

Well, here's some more coverage for ya! I gave up on DII I couldn't deal w/the freezing, etc., so I"m going to start from scratch w/the gateway system.  Like being a Rogue tho (altho it's an "amazon" now)

If you're serious about being able to get any kind of cash for your Q maching, call gateway - they use what they call the "orion blue book", sorta like the Kelly Blue Book only for computers instead of cars

I don't know how far back the book goes though, I know that 133 mhz isn't in it - the only caveat is that you *have* to buy a new machine from gateway, pay full price, get the stickers from them, and mail in your old system.  I'll probably be getting the new gateway before I have to ship the Q back, which is good, since I"ll still have a system.  Like, I'd die w/out one, right?

LeeAnne

wants to play games too!

Neon

quote:

...we now proudly proclaim ourselves as Poasters. It identifies who we are, and where we came from. It?s also a reminder that we?re different, and we?re on a mission.

Scuzzy

We're on a mission? Well then, we need a tagline. How about:

To Boldly POAST what No one else would Think of or

Poasters Forum - The Last Best Hope for Free Friendly tech support or

Legendary Tall Computer Tales and Advice - Old Quantexan style

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Joanie

Hey Kitty Kat.

We could spell it Jony or Joni.Jonie is OK with me too. I'll answer whatever.

Jonee

quote:

Forget whatever Ace said. Here's my version:

As for the spelling of "poast", you?d have to go way back to the original Quantex Chat. Some poor soul misspelled the word "post", and Ace got hold of it and never let it die. Somehow, we adopted the misspelling over the years, and we now proudly proclaim ourselves as Poasters. It identifies who we are, and where we came from. It?s also a reminder that we?re different, and we?re on a mission.

By the way, why is it spelled "Joanie" instead of "Jonie"?

Scuzzy

n/a

Sorry to get in on this late, LeeAnne, but congratulations on a sweet deal. Tempts me to go check out a Gateway, but my wife is still waiting for a new couch. We're sort of at a stalemate because the old couch refuses to leave.

I'm also tempted to offer Ace a deal he can't refuse for his computer just so he won't have one. Imagine, blaming me for the putrid spelling he almost single-handedly immortalized. I agree with Scuzzy that some poor dufus did originally misspell 'post', but that doesn't necessarily mean it was me.

I am crushed, not to mention disparaged.

That said, we have to give Ace full credit for seeing the potential in the result of some uncoordinated digits and\or learning impairment and\or just general sloppiness. I mean, he refused to let it die, a new word was born, and the whole human race is the better for it. Or at least some of us.

Ace's vision is so vast sometimes even he is blinded by it, which after you get to know him explains a lot.

I agree with Neon we do need a tagline or subtitle for Poasters. Maybe we should hold a contest.

With the winner getting Ace's computer. Well, at least Ace could give him\her a new immortalized nickname for the forum.

http://www.poasters.com/images/bear.jpg" border=0>

--Bear

pat

Hey LeeAnneM,

Congrates on the new system.

To the rest of you, I really enjoyed the history lesson. How about a nice new

T-shirt or hat to put that tag line on. Logo on the front, pretty cool......

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Ace

I for one do not believe I ever caused anything to happen here or elsewhere by my own volition or Bear's or anyones' and I resent the first poast I tried because I forgot my stupid password in one of the multitude of other rooms here the first time.

Dangit.

And like I would ever have the energy or fortitude or pultritude or gravel to ever just up and get rid of my computer. Do you realize the effort and energy and other words that begin with "e" that would even take?((*&#@!!

Geez Louise. I don't think I ever invented anything, let alone "poast." I might've rubbed it in or never let it die; that sounds more like me, to me.

I just figured I could lay it on Bear, while he was out. Geez criminy, who'dathunk he'd be coming right back.

Some times you guys get so thick headed with your rememberances, it's like they were layers of brick you'd have to break through to get to the origins of the original whatever.

I figure my Voodoo 3 is probably worth, used, on the marketplace..oh...$3.85.

So, selling the Quantex, including the original software bundle that arrived about a month after it did and the bulk putty plastic and the stupid Orbit track ball that glitches everytime I try it, but I leave it connected just because I gotta have 3 controller thingys connected or else Scuzzy will take the upper hand in technical expertise.. all that, all told, I gotta figure would be worth about... uh.

$3.75 or so.

And, if I sold it, how the heck am I gonna poast that I did and show off and gloat and stuff? Huh? Explain that one, you buncha energetic room mongers.

Man, I'm so worked up, I'm gonna go slay some big ugly demon thing. Yeah.

Probably freeze up just when he sprays glop all over me again. Dang, I hate it when that happens.

And that's just in Madden 2000.

Ace; in his mind, he looks pretty cool.

Ring bells for service.

BostonLee

Whoa - Ace, where's all this coming from?  Easy there big fella!

I think maybe we need a Poasters Therapy Forum, maybe we can discuss some of your issues whilst you're lying on the leather couch . . . now let me get my notepad.

Your therapist,

LeeAnne

scuzzy

LeeAnn,

It's very nice of you to offer your services to Ace, but what what he really needs is a veterinarian. Or at least a veteran. If one of those aren't available, then I'm sure a vegetarian will do just fine. If worse comes to worse, we'll settle for a vegetable. Any will do.

If I were you (and I'm not), I'd just learn to ignore Ace. When he gets to be too much, we just move to another site. However, thanks to all the rooms we have in this puzzle palace, it's very easy to lose him. I'm thinking of creating a Card Room, with a wav file of The Gambler playing non-stop. That would probably keep him entertained and out of our hair for at least a few days. Well, at least for those of us who have hair. I don't.

Scuzzy
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

n/a

Okay, I have an idea for a tagline for the forum.

Poasters:

Blame It On Ace

That's been an oft-repeated phrase around here, though not lately. Still, it is part of our heritage.

I'm not going $3.75 for a stinkin' Quantex. I already have a stinking Quantex. Although mine is behaving pretty well these days.

But hey, Ace, maybe we could still work something out. Do you need a slightly-used metallic green couch by any chance?

LeeAnne, please hold off on curing Ace until he answers that very important question.

--Bear

Joanie

Yo patman

It would be so cool to have a hat or a teashirt with Poaster.com on it and the gold P in a big blue circle for the logo.

Joanie

Ace

I would like a T-shirt of Bear taking a big gold P on a blue background...

That metallic green couch; I've gotta niece that would love it. She does the green thing every chance she gets.

Hey; that reminds me; whom broke the dang room yesterday? Wasn't me, because I was locked out.

Leather couch would be great, but I figure somebody'd somewhere would trash it. Or sweat on it. Or drop something or drip something.

No hare on Easter. That's for sure.

I could use the psychotherapy, but not sure about the therapy part. I used to have a part, but not with this style. Used to have bangs, too. Here, let me turn around and take a look.

Ace; in his mind, he looks way cooler than Scuzzy.

Ring bells for service.

pat

Yes, a right proud way to show off the forum. I think it must have a that cheerleader rah rah pom pom giffy thing in there too. Just wouldn't be right with out it.

Poasters:

Blame It On Ace

The Poatsers

Joaker

SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Joanie

patman,  it would be so cool to have a hat or a teashirt with Poaster.com on it and the gold P in a big blue circle for the logo.

Joanie

pat

Hey Joanie

You sure? No cheerleader? Not even on the back? Let me see what I can do.

Joe

With all this talk about the heritage of this site, I think you all should consider designating an official breakfast food for the champions who congregate here.  Maybe....Poast Toasties.

Joe

Neon

Tagline:

Poasters: Keep Your Computer in Ace Condition  ;)

Ace, I am interested in purchasing your stinkin' Quantex, only I don't need the $3.85 Voodoo 3. The remainder of the Quantex you quoted a net value of $ -0.10, which seems fair to me. Does that come as one dime or two nickels?

Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Neon

Joe,

I suggested Toasted Ace Poasties, but haven't yet heard back from the U.S.R.D.A.

Toasted Ace Poasties and other flaming topics

n/a

Well, if we're getting into a bidding war here, I'll offer -$.25 (preferably in nickles) and throw in a moderately-used metallic green couch. Heck, the couch probably has more change that that already down in it.

Joe, as long as it's not Fruit Loops. Our luck though, Post cereals would sue us for trademark infringement. Something for the Washington Poast to write about.

I'm looking forward to that T-shirt, Patman. We may have to hire a marketing consultant.

--Bear

Joanie

Patman,

I could see a RahRah doing her thing somewhere on that teashirt.

RahRah

pat

Hi all

Here is a very rough draft of logo for shirt. I'm using temp ftp service from my isp to post url. (14days) I tried to just get the pix to open without url, but to no avail. What font did you guys use. I'm open to all sugestions. Have fun.

http://files.triton.net/pattrucks/poaster%201.jpg" border=0>

Thanks Bear

Edited by - patman on Apr 17 2001  1:51:46 PM

BostonLee

That's great . . . how about any of these (blatent copywright infringement aside):

Poasters.com - where spelling doesn't matter

Poasters.com - where ex-Quantex Support people help one Poaster at a time

Brand New Screamin' Quantex System $1600.00

Printer, Scanner, Digital Camera & other Toys $1200.00

Having Poasters.com around to fix your POS Q system . . . PRICELESS!

I'm working on stealing others too :-)

L