• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Lightscribe sucks

Started by LugwidVanB, December 23, 2009, 17:19 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

LugwidVanB

I bought dvd and the disks. It came with nero which they say is the best. It won't work. All I get is a thin circular area around the center. Anything within that band prints, nothing outside. I inserted an image and the only part that shows is within that circle. The rest is grayed out and doesn't print. I spent an hour on the nero help thing trying out to expand the circle area, to no avail. Well, so much for Lightscrap.

Tom

LugwidVanB

I may have judged lightscribe too soon  ;D I went to its site where they have a blog. Someone there described the same problem. He is using Memorex discs, which is what I have. I ordered Verbatim from amazon but they are a few days off. I found a small pack at Target cheap, 10 for $8. I'm thinking now that the discs only allow printing on the narrow band around the center, limiting it to text only. They DON"T mention this on the discs so don't buy MEMOREX  ???  I'll let you know when the Verbatim disks arrive.

Tom

LugwidVanB

Now I find these disks won't work in my dvd player. Do you have to buy different disks for the dvd recorder on the tv and the recorder on the computer? Thanks, Tom

Buffalo2102

I have not used Lightscribe much but what I have done has worked well.  I have only ever used Verbatim lightscribe DVDs but confess that I have not really tried to put anything more than text on them.

You should not have to buy different discs for the TV recorder and the computer recorder - as long as both devices support the format that you do use.  Check the specifications for each device and find a common format e.g. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, etc. etc.  Then just use that format of disc.

If both devices are compatible with the format you have, then you may need to finalise the DVD before you can use it in the TV DVD recorder.

Buff
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

scuzzy

There may be a problem with the recorder.

I have used Memorex LightScribe CDs and DVDs on an LG recorder and Nero Essentials with excellent results, for both text and graphics.
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

LugwidVanB

When I went to the store I was in a hurry and picked up the package for cd-r lightscribe instead of dvd+r lightscripe. They are packaged almost identical but now, I really feel stupid. :o :'(