• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Ruggedized Laptops Being Liquidated

Started by Sliderule, February 14, 2003, 20:39 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

Sliderule

First of all, I have no association with this company.  

I bought two of these laptops about 2 months ago and they are much better than I had hoped for.  You're probably not going to surf the internet with with it or do any high power computing.  But it does have 1 PC Card slot and with a 125 MB flash memory card installed in a PC Card adapter, it serves as the "D" drive.  Since there is no CDROM and no floppy disk, this is one way to load programs, the other is by use of Laplink or Fastlynx (remember those?).  I did have a problem with one of the computers but they all come with a 90 day warranty.  This liquidator is a legitimate outfit and I've been doing business with them for many years.  These laptops were owned by Pacific Gas Electric and originally sold for $6000 and are $19 today!  

So for those you who like to tinker, these laptops are indestructible and have some features no longer found on today's laptops, one thing is touch screen capability and all the memory appears to be non-volatile memory.  The hardware is not upgradeable, but the 16 MB memory and 260MB hard drive is more than sufficient.  The company, Itronix, is still in business and will even take your Customer Support questions, (like how to enter the BIOS).  The OS that came with it is Windows for Pen Computing v1.0 which is very similar to Windows 3.1.  It also has all the DOS PC Card services software installed.  Because there is no Windows Registry to deal with installing programs is easy.  

So, all of you DOS laptop users out there, give it a try, just for fun!

Here's the link:
http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=14&sku=XC6000+NO+PS
No Smoke, No Glory!
HP Pavilion 8396, PII-450MHz, 384MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Multi-Boot:  Win2kPro, Win98SE, Win2k3-Enterprise