• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by n/a, November 15, 2000, 16:05 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

Hi linkslet, and welcome.

My vote is for the new power supply. Q's choice in power supplies hasn't proven to be that wonderful to begin with. The Sparkle brand that came with mine caused several drive failures before the problem was recognized.

Lubrication with a drop or two of light machine oil might help provide temporary relief, but I doubt it would solve the problem long term.

Good luck, and please keep us poasted on how it goes with pcpowerand cooling.

scuzzy

I had the very same problem with another brand computer. I took the fan out of the power supply, cleaned it with compressed gas, then added two or three drops of light machine oil. It's been very quiet for the last 3 months.

Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

Joanie

Welcome to the Forum Linkslet.

It was necessary for me to replace my Quantex fan and I found it to be a good move. Since it is not an expensive item and it plays such an important role in keeping hardware running smoothly I would suggest you go for the new one and no waste any time with the old.

Joanie

linkslet

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies. I'll try the clean and lube for now, but will definitely go for the new power supply ASAP.

Anyone have any new information on Quantex? Seems a shame to lose 2 years of warranty. This is my second Quantex, and after initial breaking in problems with both machines, I've had no trouble at all. Up until now, Q has been fairly good with tech. service, just the usual long waits.

Thanks again.

linkslet

Hello to all,

Found your forum while searching for information pertaining to Quantex. I attempted to contact Q by phone, nothing but busy signals. I tried the number you recommended and got a recording telling me to try the fax line, or try to e-mail tech. service. My e-mail to tsemail@quantex.com bounced back. Maybe someone can help me with my problem. My one year old Quantex SM-3X has developed a noisy fan in the power supply.

I tried cleaning with compressed air, and that worked for one evening. Tonight, the noise is back as bad as ever. Is there any substance (silicone spray, etc.) that this fan can be lubricated with, or is this a bad idea? Do I need to replace the power supply (the fan is hard wired)? I have found a replacement listed at pcpowerandcooling.com.

Any suggestions? Thanks!