• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by n/a, November 14, 2000, 15:37 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

n/a

Hey, Bubba,

Mostly on the experience of friends, especially with tech support, I rate Gateway down in the middle of the pack.

As for Celerons, they're made by Intel and they have their place. The onboard chips make them cheaper, so for a first machine or a decent backup they suffice. My wife's Dell Celeron 400 has been just what she needed for her home office.

But check out the specs on the new AMDs before you chain yourself to Intel. Lots of bang for the bucks, as somebody used to say. Intel has had production problems with their top-end stuff and has fallen behind, IMHO.

That and somebody has to end up paying those green guys painting stripes in their commercials.

Bubba

Thanks Bear,,,,,,

I will not even ask my wife when I can get a new 'puter,,,,,,,,,it would take to long to recover from the blow to my head. I had fun picking out my mother-in-laws Dell, I did go a little overboard,, but she should never need  to upgrade anything on it.  { "never"/ term not to be used in reference to computers}

My "Q" 266 p2 still works very good,, no complaints,,,,,,don't really need a new one,,,,,, I kinda' got away from gaming, so I really do not need "the quad-droople nuclear powered 3D reach-out-and-grab-you video graphics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait a minute,,,,, sure I do,,, gotta' go and talk to the wife while my courage is high....

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bubba

"BONG !!!!!!!"

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ouch,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like Grandpa used to say, "maybe there ain't nothin' wrong, but, somethin' aint' right."

Bubba

I have accidently got in the middle of a computer testing area. My Mother-in-law just got a Dell about a month ago,,, 800 mhz, Pent 3, 128 ram,

Now,, my son just got a new Gateway, Monday. It is a 700 Celeron 64 ram.  

Both are pretty new to using home 'puters, so they may not be able to really "stress test" their machines. I know the Dell was $1400 + , I did not ask what my son paid, I am guessing around 1000, as it did come with a cd burner.

We shall see if either one complains much. The Gateway is really compact, so it appears it has litte room for expansion,, but maybe anymore , expansion is not so important, as it is all there from the git-go.

I would not have recommended the G-way, or even the Celery processor,, What is this gropusd opinion on G-ways,, and Celery processors ???

I am an Intel supporter,,,,,,, right or wrong,,,,,,