• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, December 18, 2000, 20:44 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

There are a couple possibilities, although it sounds like you may need to reformat and reinstall Windows.

It is possible that the hard drive isn't being recognized by the BIOS, or maybe the ribbon cable to the hard drive worked itself loose (or the ribbon itself is bad). Also check the power cable to the hard drive. I would first check the BIOS, go to Fixed Disk 0, and select Auto Detect. If that doesn't help, try checking the connections to the hard drive. If the connections look okay, try swapping the ribbon cable.

If all that doesn't work, then you'll need to reformat and reinstall. However, if that still doesn't work, then you most likely need a new hard drive.

Check back periodically to see if anyone else here has any other ideas, too.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0> (The real Scuzzy)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

inhaler

Did you make a emergency start-up?  If you did (and know where it is) can you boot with it?  If you can, boot from the emergency floppy, and at the DOS prompt, enter the following command:

SYS C:

Hopefully this will replace boot files to the root directory drive.  If it doesn't work you will probably nedd to reinstall like Scuzzy said.  Good luck.

Willc

My older quantex with win 95 stopped going to the desktop, it leaves a message of invalid systemdisk replace and strick any key. It was working fine. There's no disk in drive as someone suggested, how do I get the win 95 desktop working again?  its not even giving a dos prompt. please, Willc thanks