• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Re:

Started by scuzzy, December 06, 2000, 14:28 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Thanks for the review, Joe. I've never been a Netscape fan. At this rate, I never will.

http://www.poasters.com/images/scuzzy.gif" border=0> (The real Scuzzy)
Antec Performance TX640B Case | WinXP Pro SP3 & Win7 64-bit | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale LGA 775 3.16GHz Dual-Core | 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 G-Skill RAM | eVGA 7600GT 256MB PCI-E | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 16MB Cache | 74GB WD Raptor SATA 8MB Cache | 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA 16MB Cache | External 640GB WD Caviar SATA 32MB Cache | Sony DRU-V200S DVD/RW | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W | Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (24") LCD Monitor | LG Flatron W2361V (23") LCD Monitor

n/a

I haven't downloaded Netscape 6 yet, but when I do I'll use this tip from the LangaList:
Netscape does still

offer the browser via public FTP, and the simplest way to grab the entire N6 file is simply to click to:

ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.0/windows/win32/sea/

and then download N6Setup.exe . Although this file has the same name as the small N6 download manager, it's actually the whole enchilada.

Speaking of the LangaList, in the latest there's a very interesting discussion of AOL 6 that shows "how AOL insists on setting up a

VPN (Virtual private networking) connection that potentially gives AOL access to your files and to other computers on your LAN (if

you're on a LAN)."

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2000/2000-12-07.htm

Bear

-LearningasfastIcan-

ihays

I downloaded Internet Explorer 5.0, but when I browse my address bar says Netscape Navigator. Why?

Neon

quote:

I downloaded Internet Explorer 5.0, but when I browse my address bar says Netscape Navigator. Why?

Is it because you typed the URL for Netscape Navigator into the address bar? Or do you mean the Netscape logo has taken over your copy of the IE browser, and that there may be an AOL conspiracy afoot to take over all desktops everywhere?

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

ihays

I didn't type in Netscape Navigator, it just appeared there. Weird, HUH ?

Neon

OK, here's a guess...Netscape was previously installed on your computer, and the home page was set to home.netscape.com, or something similar. When you load up IE, it surfs to that homepage automatically. If this is what you observe, and you want to change it, then you just need to change your homepage by typing in the URL of whatever page you prefer (I use www.yahoo.com for example). In Netscape, this is at Edit - Preferences - Navigator - Home Page - Location. You can do the same thing in IE 5.0, but the file menus are slightly different. HTH

http://neon.home.texas.net/neonsm.gif" border=0>
Area 64 project|Asus SK8N|nForce3 Pro 150 chipset|AMD Athlon 64 FX-51|2x 512MB Kingston HyperX PC3200R|eVGA GeForce 6800GT|WD Caviar SE 1200JD SATA|Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD+R|Plextor PX-116A 16x DVD-ROM|Lian Li PC-60H1S|Antec TruePower 430W ATX|WinXP x64 edition

Joe

Below is a review of the new Netscape browser, as reported by an Associated Press writer.  Sounds like one to not get excited about.  I've personally not downloaded it yet, and the article doesn't make me want to.

Joe

Netscape 6.0: a fashion parade that shows its AOL colors

By Larry Blasko, Associated Press, 12/6/2000 15:45

Netscape has unleashed Version 6.0, the Web browser that looks like a fashion show.

Available for the PC, Mac and Linux platforms, Netscape 6.0 has taken Version 4.7, the dependable browser in a Wall Street business suit, and moved it to the East Village, complete with nose ring and dyed orange hair.

Unfortunately, the new browser is alienating corporate system administrators because it lacks what is for them a vital component. But more about that later.

The default Netscape 6.0 interface is consciously hip-looking. Like those tall platform shoes, it's stylish, but not right for everyone. In this case, the look is a ''theme.''

You can revert to the ''classic'' theme in which the stop button looks like a stoplight instead of an ''X.'' And there are other themes available for download on the Web site (http://www.netscape.com).

Those of us who associate ''hip'' only with ''replacement'' will grumble that if you're worried about which theme your browser is wearing today, you need to get a life. But if you can get past that and some other annoyances, you'll find a solid technical underpinning.

The main toolbar URL field of Netscape 6.0 does double duty as a search field, so you don't have to hop to a search page first to start looking for something. (The browser uses surprise! Netscape search as the default.)

The ''sidebar,'' a window at the left of the page that can display real-time information (or just about anything else you want), can be distracting, but you can make it disappear. In, fact, you can customize a bundle of things, which is OK if that's how you want to spend your time.

Both 6.0 and 4.7 versions can run simultaneously, good if you've download the newer version and are ambivalent about it. After some time running both, 4.7 still gets the nod if you're in a hurry to see all your bookmarks, which it displays in multiple columns while 6.0 shows them in a single column that scrolls. But 6.0 is better at handling multiple e-mail accounts, if you're into using aliases.

What 6.0 doesn't do that its predecessor did is support address directories that corporations typically store on a separate network server and for which LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) support is necessary.

In terms of speed, Netscape claims the later version is faster, but it wasn't all that noticeable in side-by-side tests on the same PC.

The password and cookie manager functions are good, if privacy is a concern. The browser also has links to plenty of Internet content, making it an information source of sorts, perhaps the ruboff from corporate parent America Online.

The AOL parentage is quote obvious: You can get your AOL e-mail on Netscape 6.0 - and the browser's instant messenger application will load your AOL Instant Messenger buddy list.

Version 6.0 also looks beyond the desktop PC. Its guts use versatile, open-standards technology that can easily be adapted to a variety of operating systems and devices such as the portable wireless gadgets that are becoming increasingly popular ways of accessing the Internet.

So if you must have the latest (and won't bow to Microsoft's Internet Explorer), the price is right: The download is free, or you can get a CD-ROM by mail for $5.95.

Even on a fast Ethernet connection at the office, downloading the PC version took about 14 minutes. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection and any toll charges that might be involved, the ''free'' download might not be so free.

For most users, it's a question of style and taste, and the only way to decide is to try it. Beforehand, note the system requirements for Netscape 6.0 as given on the Web site:

Windows 95, 98, 2000 or NT 4.0: Pentium, 133 MHz, 64 MB of RAM.

Mac OS 8.5, OS 8.6 or OS 9 with PowerPC: 200 MHz PowerPC 604 or G3, 64 MB of RAM, with virtual memory turned on (or 48 MB of dynamic RAM).

Red Hat Linux 6.1: Pentium, 133 MHz, 64 MB of RAM.

The site also cautions, ''If you are running Netscape 6.0 on SuSe Linux 6.2, you must install the file ''libjpeg.so.62,'' which it has available for download.

Edited by - Joe on Dec 06 2000  3:22:35 PM