• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Firewall Software

Started by yokosi, January 11, 2004, 14:16 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

yokosi

Hi all, im in need of a new firewall after two bad incidents I had with zonealarm, im in need of a new firewall.  Anyone have any suggestions on good firewalls that you have installed on your pc's that you are very pleased about and recommend other than zonealarm.

Thanx
Asus A7NX-X motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2800 processor, 1 GB MB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX420 Vid card and crappy sound card

Mark H

I use Norton Firewall and it works very well for me.

Mark H
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Chandler

I don't have any recommendations per-se but I can recommend one to avoid:
McAfee Firewall (included with VirusScan) - very buggy software, minor changes to system can cause firewall to block all internet access until it's uninstalled completely.

For now, I'm using the XP Internet Connection Firewall which is basic but doesn't cause me any problems.

Norton's Firewall which can be purchased as part of Norton Internet Security is very good.

pat

What was the trouble with Zonealarm?

A couple other ?free for personal use? to consider would be.
Sygate
Agnitum Outpost
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

saoirse

Kaspersky Anti Hacker is another good choice.

You can download a 30 day trial.

saoirse

Whizbang

I would be interested too in what problems you had with Zone Alarm.  The only problem I have had was with an older upgrade that locked out some desktop folder shortcuts-->It really hated those.  It probably has been as effective against virus invasion on my computer as the antivirus program.

marshall834

You can try BlackIce and Nortan Internet Security
The Powerhouse- Celeron 2.2,256MB PC2100, nVidia FX5200, 80GB WD 7200,8MB buffer, Vantec Tornado Case fan (5000RPM) Logitech Wireless Duo

Coming Soon: Athlon64 3200,512MB PC3200!
:-)

query

BlackIce is intrusion detection - it really is not a firewall, though it has some features of firewall software.

If you're in need of antivirus and antispam as well as a firewall, Trend's new 2004 Internet Security is tough to beat for the price.

www.trendmicro.com

txsidewinder1

I had Zone Alarm and it would not let me view anything on the internet. All I got was messages saying "you are not authorized to visit this site." I would disable the firewall and get in. It would not even let me use CD games that I downloaded!! I do not have it anymore.
I always run anti-spyware on my computer and keep it up to date. Do you?

Hoot

That means you did not check the box to either (1) let it allow permissions for you, or (2) to allow access as you went along. Something went wrong with your installation. It's very, very easy to configure ZonaAlarm. If it did not let you 'into' a site then you probably had your local network slider set to "high". Even then you could have gone to settings/ and manually allowed any site or application on your PC. Usually it will ask you when it first finishes installation and you lainch the fist app (Internet Explorer) if you want to give (IE) permission to acess the I-Net. You would say yes, and ...  it will ask a few more times, then ask for each program as you lanch them. If you pay attention during install and just allow it to set it for you you should be ok. Also I-Net security slider should be "high" and Local Trusted zone should be "medium".

Zone Alarm is in fact the easiest of all the firewalls to use, and still the best, with Sygate a close second IMO. Norton os also very good and blocks most crucial ports well. You won't find one any easier to use than Z/A.

Tranquility_Base

Right on. It must have been a mistake u made in configuration becoz ZoneAlarm is the best and most user friendly firewalls out there. One of those days im gonna get the Pro version as a thank you. Or maybe not. I only need the firewall :p

Anyway theres Sygate, but i didnt like it becoz it was sort of "awkward". Theres also Kerio personal firewall:

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

johnamazing

I love the free Zone Alarm, too. Have successfully used Norton Firewall, but wanted a free one after the year was done.
I easily configure Zone for the LAN. IP addresses are added manually. Norton has a wizard to ID and add the IP addresses on your LAN.
 Windows 2000 gives up the IP address by: start/ run/ cmd/ ipconfig... then write it down in your notebook!

johnamazing

Just checked IP ID while on the internet. Learned that the LAN IP address and the internet IP address are different.
The LAN IP only shows when a LAN card is installed.
The internet IP only shows when actually ON the internet.

I will get on my Juno ISP and see if the IP address is the same as the one generated using this ISP.
Fun with morning java!