• Welcome to Poasters Computer Forums.

News:

Welcome to the ARCHIVED Poasters Computer Forums (Read Only)

Main Menu

Yet another MSIE security flaw

Started by saoirse, June 25, 2004, 13:56 hrs

Previous topic - Next topic

saoirse

Another serious flaw has been discovered, affecting users of Microsoft Internet Explorer.

There's a high warning with this - IE users are advised not to use the browser until the system has been patched.

More information can be found below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3840101.stm

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/download_ject.mspx.

saoirse

trav

Thanks for the heads up, im all patched up now :)
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

iansl

I'll apply the patch to my newer PC> I just took a look at Windows Update and it said I didn't need anything. But mucho gracias for de heads up.
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz 20" w\4GB RAM, LP1965 LCD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro
Macbook Air 1.6GHz 80GB HDD, OS X 10.5.2 + WinXP Pro, SuperDrive addon

The man, the mac user, the cell phone

query

Keep your antivirus updated and running, because Microsoft does not yet have a patch released for this flaw.

"The Internet Explorer flaws that enabled the Russian attack, however, affect every user of the Web browser, because Microsoft has not yet released a patch."

http://news.com.com/Web+site+virus+attack+blunted/2100-7349_3-5248279.html?tag=nefd.top

trav

but....but....woah....but...what did i patch up then??

Uh-Oh :o
CygBox | ASUS A7V400-MX| Athlon XP-2600+ (Barton core) (1900Mhz) |Gigabyte Radeon 9200SE| Onboard 6CH Sound|PC2700 400Mhz 768DDR

query

May have been an older flaw - there is as yet, apparently no patch for the current issue.

Mark H

Ah, the love of autoupdate every two hours for my AV program.  ;D
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Whizbang

I have a very serious question, if asked in a somewhat whimsical manner.  How many times can you patch up holes in a sock before you need to get a new sock?  Now I know why they refer to Internet connection interface drivers as "Winsocks."   ::)

Igloo

AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
2x 250gb Maxtor S-ata drives
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
1x 40gb 1x 60gb IDE drives.
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

query

Lucky, until

(a) The hackers find the flaws Microsoft knows about and hasn't fixed, or doesn't know about yet

or

(b) Find the flaws introduced BY SP2, rather than fixed by it.

Until Microsoft radically alters the architecture of Windows (which will largely destroy its main advantage -- ease of use -- it will remain a fundamentally insecure operating system).

Igloo

suppose, but i have never had a virus on this machine, except when Norton went mad, and ignored the blaster, now, atleast, i am safe :)
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

txsidewinder1

Microsoft will never get it straight. The company they hired to do the downloads for them now has an ad company and is in bed with Doubleclick. A lot of people do not believe me, but this is true. This is a shame because the company enjoyed such good reviews and was hired by many computer companies. Now they have gone over to the dark side.
I always run anti-spyware on my computer and keep it up to date. Do you?

Igloo

omg, typical of them  >:( >:( >:( >:(, now more spyawre, just what we need  :'( :'( :'(
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

trav

Man, and WHAT FOR???

They, I bet were a great company, why did they make the wrong turn?

query

Princess Leia to Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars:

"The more you tighten your grip, governor, the more star systems will slip though your fingers".

Microsoft has become an empire -- show me an empire in history that has endured?

pat

Ha, the barbarians are at the gate.
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

query

And the Emperor isn't showing much of a fighting spirit -- that is almost eerie.

Or is it that the Emperor has no armor, and that the Dark Side lighning isn't working any longer?

The sad part is that for many businesses and other organizations, there is very little alternative - or if there is, it is a very expensive switch to make.

I don't hold a lot of hope for Microsoft-based computing -- I've seen a daily escalation in the number of worms, viruses, etc., invading our 1200-computer network.

Fortunately, for me at least, in a week or so -- I will be out of information technology (at least by job title) and going back to what I was really trained for, so I'll leave solving those problems to my successor.

trav

Quote from: query on July 08, 2004, 19:51 hrs

I don't hold a lot of hope for Microsoft-based computing -- I've seen a daily escalation in the number of worms, viruses, etc., invading our 1200-computer network.

That may be true, but, what about, all of those programs that all of those people own on Miscrosoft-based PC's? If they have to switch over to something of a different format, they are going to be pretty mad, that they cant use Windows-based programs...those programs may not be availible for this new operating system.....

For me? I've tried Linux, and its not my favorite, its not easy to use.........

For Microsoft, right now, that would be a good thing, why? Because, most people will use their Operating Systems for ease-of-use.

I dont think that they (MS) will ever stop.

iansl

Enter Apple...

Or Lindows...

Apple is easy to use. I know that it is just plain wierd for me (a heartty PC user) to say this, but you gotta admit it...

And Lindows...er...Linspire is Linux's stability, security, etc., married to a Windowsish interface, plus it has a comprehensive set of tools you can get for it...

If only they knew, namely Arcsoft (Showbiz, which, along with Photoshop Elements 2, keeps me from ditching Windows, plus the fact that there aren't near enough drivers right now :(), Adobe and the millions of people out there who haven't heard of Lindows or Linux or any other alternative to MS, such as Opera, Firefox, StarOfficde, etc, etc, etc...
Dell Inspiron e1505, Core Duo T2050, 1 GB DDR2-533, 160GB WD Scorpio 5400RPM HDD, 8x DVD+\-\DL burner, GMA 950, WXGA panel, Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2K7 Pro (thx M$)

pat

Oops, there goes another one, well five new critical updates.
Better head on over to the windows update site.

Some info;
MS04-023_HTML_HELP
MS04-022_TASK_SCHEDULER
SeaSonic S12 550W, Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N SLI-Deluxe, nvidia 9600 GSO, 2x2 gig Crucial Ballistix, LG DVD/RW, 2x Western Digital Black Edition 640gb,  SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22", Canon PIXMA MP600,  Logitech X-230 speakers, Logitech Comfort Duo keyboard & Mouse, Windows 7 64 Home Premium & Vista 64

Whizbang

Has Microsoft asked Netscape for help yet?   ;)

Mark H

Quote from: pat on July 13, 2004, 18:00 hrs
Oops, there goes another one, well five new critical updates.
Better head on over to the windows update site.

Some info;
MS04-023_HTML_HELP
MS04-022_TASK_SCHEDULER

Thanks goodness for broadband! 3.5 gigs of critical updates now installed. Thanks for the information Pat. :)
Enjoy the nature that is around you rather than destroying it.

Carskick

Quote from: iansl on July 09, 2004, 12:28 hrs
Enter Apple...

Or Lindows...

Apple is easy to use. I know that it is just plain wierd for me (a heartty PC user) to say this, but you gotta admit it...

And Lindows...er...Linspire is Linux's stability, security, etc., married to a Windowsish interface, plus it has a comprehensive set of tools you can get for it...

If only they knew, namely Arcsoft (Showbiz, which, along with Photoshop Elements 2, keeps me from ditching Windows, plus the fact that there aren't near enough drivers right now :(), Adobe and the millions of people out there who haven't heard of Lindows or Linux or any other alternative to MS, such as Opera, Firefox, StarOfficde, etc, etc, etc...

Apples bug me.

My 2 cents.
Athlon64 X2 3800+ Machester@2.45Ghz, 4x1GB A-DATA PC3200@204(2.5-3-3-6), XFX 8800GT, ASUS A8N5X NF4, Antec 300 case, Antec EarthWatts 650w, 640GB 16MB and 200GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA WD HDDs, NEC3540, NEC3550, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate<br />Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Carskick

Igloo

quick mission over to windows update, and ....suprise surpirse...... nothing but some software updates for my mobo, and my video card (crap thing, but nvm) anyway, thats it :S

Igloo
AMD 64 4400+
2gb PC 3800 RAM
Asus a8n-Sli Premium
Nvidia 7800GT
5.1 creative Speakers
Windows XP Pro
32x DVD,
Dual Layer DVD Burner.

Server:

Amd Athlon xp 2400
1gb pc 2700 RAM
DVD - Rom.
Ubuntu Linux 5.10

Buffalo2102

That may be true, but, what about, all of those programs that all of those people own on Miscrosoft-based PC's? If they have to switch over to something of a different format, they are going to be pretty mad, that they cant use Windows-based programs...those programs may not be availible for this new operating system.....

For Microsoft, right now, that would be a good thing, why? Because, most people will use their Operating Systems for ease-of-use.

Here's an idea.  What if those nice Linux/OS-X/Unix/etc. developers added a "Windows Emulator" to their OS's?  Then you could install Windows apps and select "run in windows XP mode", et voila!
Goodness knows Microsoft have managed it for just about everything else.

Seriously though, many of the applications written for Linux etc. far outshine the Windows equivalents, especially the Office-type ones, and they are pretty much free!  The main problem is, as you say, the operating systems are not that easy to use.  Most people who try it out don't even get as far as installing any additional applications to the OS because they have been frightened off by the set-up of the OS itself.
Vista x64 Home Premium. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Abit IP35, 4 Gig Kingston HyperX PC8500C5 DDR2, GTX260, Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer, Antec 900 Gaming Case.

trav

Quote from: Buffalo2102 on July 14, 2004, 17:33 hrs

Here's an idea.  What if those nice Linux/OS-X/Unix/etc. developers added a "Windows Emulator" to their OS's?  Then you could install Windows apps and select "run in windows XP mode", et voila!
Goodness knows Microsoft have managed it for just about everything else.

Seriously though, many of the applications written for Linux etc. far outshine the Windows equivalents, especially the Office-type ones, and they are pretty much free!  

The main problem is, as you say, the operating systems are not that easy to use.  Most people who try it out don't even get as far as installing any additional applications to the OS because they have been frightened off by the set-up of the OS itself.

Yeah, they've allready tied doing that, even with a DirectX oriented emulator, Wine. Problem: It doesnt work too well, but im sure itll improve :)

I belive that, but there are some applications i can't live without:

Stienberg's WaveLab 4
ATI's Multimedia Center/Driver Suite

Thats also another reason Windows is great

iansl

For now, since I still use iTunes, Photoshop Elements and Pharoah (a game), I use Windows. Apple is too toylike for me, but I'd do it if the worms get too bad. I would actually get one now, if I had the money. Probably an iBook, to replace the aging laptop that I'm poasting this on. The other OSes, unfortunately, do not have the tools to emulate WIndows to the point where all the apps I use will work in it (but one app that was built for 95 won't work on my sig machine, even in emulation mode; go figure). But I would like to try Lindows, er, Linspire (whatever), as it looks easy to use and has at least some of the tools I need to get through my day.

And I just checked Windows Update, and I'm downloading 15 of the 22 updates for the 98 system I'm poasting this on. Those are 6.9 MB. Thankfully, they don't have any other downloads that need to be 'attached' to them. Buut that is still a big hunk, considering that I'm working at 28.8 kbps.

BTW, does anyone know why NetZero, AOL and TOAST.net (and maybe others) connect significantly slower on W98-based PCs than on XP ones? For example, I can get 41 kbps on toast.net or netzero with my sig pc, but only 21.6 (toast) on my 98 desktop and 28.8 for both ISPs on my laptop (which has a smoking fast modem). It seems that with KTC, a local ISP, this problem wasn't there, but I may've just had a fluke. Mods, move this if you want, but I would like to know if anyone knows.

query

Sounds like your modem driver for XP is better than the one for DOS is.